Implementation of no node respawn in SPO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mass, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

Making things worse in SinglePlayOnline to force folk into Multiplayer mode, may be great new "game content" for some, me, I am one who is outraged.

Dantuin, psteg, cartodude and 4 others like this.
  2. Vidgrip

Vidgrip Avatar

I support the proposed change (for above-ground scenes) as long as the scenes reset five to ten minutes after we exit. I don't mind swapping back and forth between two or even three nearby scenes before repeating. In the long run, it might reduce burnout and actually help with player retention.

However, if the goal is get people into MPO, then I think the devs will be disappointed. This will not accomplish that goal, nor should anyone be pushed into MPO in adventure scenes. Just give us a way to toggle between modes without having to log out of the game.

4EverLost, Womby, cartodude and 6 others like this.
  3. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

The thing that might actually cause attrition is this will highlight the load screen. I can clean out a scene in 20 minutes so that's going to average 2 load screens every 20 minutes.

Not a very desirable outcome

4. mass

mass Avatar

The balance that is relevant to this thread is that between SPO and MPO. I would suggest that controlling node spawn in SPO in a way that simulates the competition for nodes in MPO would help that balance. Balance is not dichotomous; it doesn't have to be on or off, it simply means having a controlled rate.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Meh, responses are way too dramatic (as usual...). I welcome this change :). I play in FriendsOnline mode almost all the time, too.

Dartan Obscuro and mass like this.
  6. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

What's the need to control the rate or quantity of any resource? To prevent leveling? To prevent someone from glutting the market with something? To prevent RMT transactions? Or is it i try and force the base into playing MPO?

As it stands, every resource node in the game is defended by a mob. Now, every resource node is going to be defended by players as well. The zones are too small to begin with. So you're going to cram 15 players into a zone that currently can support one who's at a high enough adventurer level to deal with it on their own? You already have a game that's nothing but a grind of killing the same looking mobs, grinding resource gathering, grinding refining, then you pray to god you don't blow up the item when you masterwork or enchant it. PLUS, now we get to make a whole BUNCH of boots hoping to get an Exceptional that has +50 durability so anyone would want to wear it for more than a month.

You know what we do have? A really well-developed way of decorating our dollhouses. Instead of finding ways to hinder advancement, how about Port gives us some cool stuff to get excited about? How about they put some drops in the game other than the same rusty weapon and shoddy bow drops to scrap. How about putting some thought into developing lore behind crafting? How about finding a way to have a Vendor search to look for something we want? Heat maps...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Dantuin, 4EverLost, cartodude and 6 others like this.
  7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

This made me chuckle. We all ALREADY know the most visited vendors (or would if we play for more than a week). What we need is something to find good deals so we go to out of the way places with great vendors that don't get much traffic. Sadly, it seems there is still a disconnect the devs have that could be resolved if they actually played the game.

Dantuin, 4EverLost, Womby and 4 others like this.
  8. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

What a pointless and demeaning way to express your thoughts on the feedback of other players you share this game with. I'm sick of this attitude of dismissal when players have differing opinions on the direction of the game.

This kind of divide between play styles and player respect is exactly why many people are not happy that the systems are favoring contact with players in instances and during activities during which they'd rather just enjoy the game itself and not have to contend with the social friction that comes with 'the internet'

9. moko

moko Avatar

If that were the case, why implement it in the first place? Just so I look more often at the loading screen?

Kaisa, Lace and Theonetheonly like this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Three pages criticizing the idea of removing the respawn from SPO and FPO and I am not a part of it - until now. It is encouraging that there are still others out there fighting for a good single player experience.

My two cents. Respawn shouldn't be a part of the OFFLINE experience or at least respawn there should be very slow and logical (new enemies walking into a scene after some time, spiders hatching from eggs after some time etc.)
    But for the online mode, removing the respawn from SPO and FPO would force palyers into OPO making SPO and FPO obsolete. If this is what he devs intend to do with all of those bonuses and incentives to play in OPO all of the time, then good job... But then SotA should no longer be labelled as a Selective Multiplayer Game.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    cartodude likes this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ugh.
    We don't even know exactly what they plan to do.
    So:
    Don't panic.

12. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

But we can respond to the thinking out loud to ensure they have lots of data on how their community feels on key topics

4EverLost, cartodude, moko and 2 others like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

They don't know the community feelings.
    All they know is the feelings of the same ten or so people.
    And chances are good I could have told you those without reading through the last three pages.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  14. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Then leave the discussion and let those who feel they have something to say, say it. Forum sapce isn't finite and your participation isn't required.

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

So you dismiss my opinion that it is too early to panic?
    Interesting.

Adam Crow likes this.
  16. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Actually, in the context of your quote that states the three pages of discussion were of no use to you, I was directly criticizing your dismissal of the content other community members have shared in trying to be part of the game's development, and suggesting you take the opinion that 'what others have to say is unimportant' and keep it to yourself.

I'd be rude and foolish to think you didn't have any value to add to the community, so I'd ask for the same respect rather then dismissing other's thoughts as 'too soon'.

There's a strong culture of marginalization and dismissal of people, rather then constructive feedback of ideas in this forum as a whole and I think it's just as damaging to player retention as some of the proposed ideas being discussed.

17. Theonetheonly

Theonetheonly Avatar

@Chris , @Darkstar , and/or @Berek - The above questions really do need a bit of time from y'all to answer, please.

Nemesis2 and Kaisa like this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I didn't say it's useless to me nor did i say it's unimportant.
    I said it's predictable.
    You are free to interpret that but don't put words in my mouth.

How can you have a constructive feedback to something that isn't even ingame? There isn't even a solid idea out there of what is to come!
    All we had is a, sorry, brain-fart from Chris.

Let me tell you what i think is bad for player retention: the instant panic button if it comes to changes.
    Yes we are all pretty worn out after years of development. But that dosen't give us the right to go ballistic as soon as a possible change might be maybe seen on the horizon.

Adam Crow likes this.
  19. Knightguy

Knightguy Avatar

I agree, I'll miss that game too

psteg likes this.
  20. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Yes, I missed the good ole days where we all played in chicken room. The game is getting further and further away from that.

Reminds me alot of my ex gf. Preemptively yelled at me for thing I hadn't done or stuff I did in her dream. And guess what happened when I told her to calm down :)

Anyway the thread is about the thread is to let everyone interpret, analyze, and speculate game feature that mentioned by Chris based on the given information we have, so better let the thoughts flow and adjust our emotion level according to upcoming info.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Dartan Obscuro and Adam Crow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.