Question as to why the recipies changed from how they where being learned?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I agree. I think its so they can actually have *RARE * Recipies in game. Or ones that high levels can find on a rare drop, and sell to crafters or something. Some kinda market.
    Which i actually like.

Honestly, grabbing recipes as you go, it isnt a *ton * of gold.. as 90% of them in any tree, you dont actually need. If you plan on buying every single one, in one go, then yea its pretty bad heh.
    I think it was also intended to slow down crafters from just spamming any and all recipies with any and all recipies to farm crafting pool/level in it. ( have to remember their focuse needs to be players joining in the future and this point on, less about whose actually here when it comes down to it. - That advantage ship is to far along to stop anyways )

2. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

Agreed on #1. Talking out of my butt I'd say that was the only reason. And like @majoria70 said, it'd be a lot more rewarding to have had a recipe learning system focused on quest rewards of recipes and not just paying for them. I like the idea of having to craft multiple things to combine with other things to make a finished product. I know many others don't like the grindy feel of it, but to me it at least feels somewhat rewarding in the end result. I'll make an example of the multi-tiered food crafting in R36. I know what I'll get in the end, I have a tangible benefit to my labor, and I don't have to Pray-and-Click like I do in Masterworking and Enchanting. To me, lvl 1 - lvl 5 cooking was a well-implemented feature. I think there could be an engaging way for players to learn higher level recipes than by players simply buying them. And it would work for everything, not just cooking.

1) The vendor is a questgiver.
    2) You select a quest for a recipe.
    3) The vendor says 'bring me these components' and gives a separate quest you have to complete, separate from any ingredients. Maybe if it's crocodile stew, you have to go kill some crocodiles.
    4) You turn them in and they give you the recipe. Yeah, people could just buy the components, but you still have to complete a quest. You might say it's another grind, but it's at least some variety to the current grind.

Numa, majoria70 and FrostII like this.
  3. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Considering that they are one time expenses and the amount of gold dropping on a daily basis? Yup, it's a drop in the bucket, especially consider the inflated price is really just a mechanism to give existing crafters a leg up by creating a massive barrier to entry for the field. It's funny how this game mirrors the real world, companies get in on the ground floor of a new industry and then lobby the government to create regulations and licensing fees that are draconian enough to keep away new competitors.

4. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

That's what I guess too.

5. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Go to Soltown Tailor, there you'll get this kind of quest. pretty funny.

6. Selene

Selene Avatar

I think this is a heavy influence on the design change. Take cooking for example... In real life I can combine the same handful of ingredients (in the same relative amounts) and drastically change the kind of dish by the preparation methods. Bake them into a pie or cook it into a soup with dumplings. If you can discover every recipe, you would have to change the number of each ingredient to make them all unique because there is no "method of preparation" That is how you end up with recipes that require 12 apples to make an apple turnover because using 1 less would make apple pie.

Plus I like the idea of recipes you can only buy for a limited time. This mechanic SHOULD encourage people to work together.... Teach each other recipes. Hopefully , in the future more recipes will be obtainable without just buying them.... uncover an old book that contains a recipe, complete a quest to learn something from a skilled NPC. I am hopeful that this is a good change as it gets properly implemented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.