am i considderd less of a player in shorud since i dont pvp ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morgoth redbeard, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I agree here. Add a little bonus for playing in Multi period(not as much as PvP). It only makes sense since there is absolutely no competition(for mobs/resources) in SPO and Friends.

2. Morgoth redbeard

Morgoth redbeard Avatar

i dont pvp becuase i dont like pvp they can give 50000% better stuff for it and i still would not pvp
    i only say give pvp rewards for pvp stuff not hunting animals

Scanphor, Acred and FrostII like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

What the developers will find out is that there will not be more pvp players until there are NPC guards that create a relative safe environment to do things like 1. talk to other players, 2. shop, 3. trade, and 4. just relax a bit.

Until that happens, they can give all kinds of rewards and it's not going to matter to the majority. (imo)

For example, the entry point to Owl's Head. If there were a few NPC guard towers there, people might actually be able to enter and exit without being spawn ganked. :)

moko, Hornpipe, Acred and 8 others like this.
  4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I'll attest to this.

Got backstabbed today while talking with the town crier, by one of the "venerable" posters in this very thread.

My bad for hanging around the spawn point, I'll need to be more careful in the future...

But did the town guards care ? Nope. :p

5. Drocis the Devious

I believe Chris and Darkstarr have talked a bit about NPC guards coming in the near future.

My concern is not that we'll get them to act like guards, but more so how effective they'll be. In my opinion they need to be VERY effective to create the type of environment that allows SOTA to have meaningful pvp vs. the arena death match it is right now. This is most important for solo players that may not have a group of friends at the ready to defend them. NPC guards are supposed to be an equalizer that helps the non-aggressive continue to be flagged for pvp, moving from safe area to safe area, without always having to be 100% on guard in the middle of town or on entry to a populated scene.

What some players don't understand or want to understand is that without strong NPC guards, there is no pvp. There's what we have right now, people trying it out and then saying "screw this", I'm just going to be ganked 100 times by a bunch of idiots.

moko, Elay, Acred and 6 others like this.
  6. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

I agree with @Morgoth2 at this, as a rather seasoned PvP player I can't really see how giving +25% to PvP'ers doing PvE is a promotion for the PvP community... It looks more like something that wasn't so well thought of IMO.
    Also, it is way to easy to get rid of the PvP flag today, let there be a period of time where you can't remove your PvP flag, since being a killer should mark you.
    That way those who only uses this feature for exp'ing might think twice before flagging up.
    There should also be some sort of delay before exiting the area or quitting the game is allowed for someone attacking another player, which would make it more interesting, since it gives ones that got assaulted a chance to get even.

Myself, I started doing PvP in Dark Age of Camelot and there it was no bonus given for PvP'ing, we did it because it was fun, later on they added bonuses to it and also added a dungeon that was open for the faction that controlled most keeps, I do know it won't work in this game since there are no factions.

Anyway, as @Urwendor writes, let them earn experience from killing eachothers, add gear that is useable in PvP zones only and such, but for christ sake why let the PvP community get a bonus that has such a huge impact on PvE?? That is just insane.
    Only ones that thinks this +25% is good is the ones that are to high level for a regular player to even touch who uses it for getting a boost to the exp and those that really are PvP'ers and laughs at the regular player who likes to play a game without PvP, while they earn exp at a higher rate and therefor gets out more of the game. Especially since there are no PvP going on at all, except griefers that attacks people that have flagged up to get the bonus, and those attacks allmost only when the player/group are engaged with a hard mob or multiple mobs. Which gives them an even higher advantage.
    So devs, think again and get this fixed please.

Just my 2 cents...

Lady Cind, Beli and FrostII like this.
  7. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

In FOnline 2 (a server for fallout 2 online) they have a system for entering zones, where you can open a map while hovering over a zone, and it gives you a couple entry points, and also there is a little camera icon you can click to actually see through a camera and check if anyone is camping there before entering.

Something like that might be sufficient, considering nobody complains about it and it's full loot PvP with some armour and weapons that take months to piece together.

Like, enter as a 'ghost' persay, and take a peek, then the transition into your regular body with one simple click with no loading time.

8. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

Excactly, why should PvP flagging give a PvE boost then?

Beli, FrostII and Frederick Glasgow like this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Why should PvErs be given protection of the oracle? :p

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  10. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Personally, I think this is how it should be. If people are gonna flag PVP for a extra 25%,there should be no safe place. Zoning in, in a town, talking to a vendor,at a crafting table....Boom. Not that anyone will ever have to deal with me, but trying to be a "PVP'er of when it's good for some" lessens the risk. What about the risk vs reward argument? :confused:o_O:)

11. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I have not played for some time. I donĀ“t dislike at first glance the idea of the PvP boost. I would like that a fellow avatar that is flagged PvP answer these questions (an exclusive PvE player would not know this, i presume):
    1-. Does being flagged PvP affect how many times you go to the bank to get your loot safe (thinking about encumbrance)?
    2-. Does being flagged PvP alter your deck composition so you are less effective in PvE?
    3-. Does your PvP orientation dictate your selection of skills to develope? Does that (eventual) composition of skills affect your PvE side of the game?.
    4-. Does your PvP orientation modify your equipment? Does that (eventual) special gear affect your PvE earnings?
    5-. After a week of play, would you consider that you earned a 25% more XP than playing safe with a skill and equipment composition that maximize your earnings?

Depending on the result of these questions my opinion could change about the PvP XP boost change.

Acred, Gaelis and Beli like this.
  12. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Risk versus reward is one thing, but in order for PvP to be good you have to eliminate some of the cheaper elements of it. Like zone entry point camping or using a bow to shoot targets from the roof of your house.

Hornpipe and Numa like this.
  13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

To put it another way....consider the following game modes.

Easy - Friends Only/Single Online (You have your own scene you are not competing with anyone)
    Normal - Multiplayer Non PvP (You compete with other players to obtain resources and have to deal with general good and bad behavior of other players)
    Hard - Multiplayer PvP (You compete with everyone and everything and can be attacked freely by others as well as being stolen from)

That is the reality.

It therefore makes sense that the difficulty is reflected in experience. We now have the +25% XP for the "Hard" mode......we now just need the -25% for the "Easy" mode.

14. Drocis the Devious

Oh, I'm not discounting risk vs. reward at all. I didn't say the whole town was safe. Far from it.

I said it made sense for the entry and exit points to Owl's Head to be relatively safe. Why? Because what makes them unsafe at the moment are game mechanics. While you're loading a screen, your character is being targeted. While you're maybe trying to grab a coke and some chips, your character is being shot up. Of course you can take precautions and stay ever vigilant (and you should) but that doesn't make for a fun game. The guys shooting you aren't doing that. They're just shooting fish in a barrel. There's no risk to them because if there were they wouldn't be there! (exclamation points used for emphasis only)

This is about balancing the risks and the rewards. When you're in a town like Owl's Head, there would reasonably be an expectation that the NPC guards would "do something" significant to secure the town. But beyond the roleplaying expectation there's a balance expectation that's not currently being met.

In my own town of Rats Nest, the design is not to create a town where everyone just kills each other, I could've saved a ton of money and just said "hey everyone, let's go to the pvp arena and just kill each other for no reason!" if I wanted that. The goal is to have opportunities to pvp that are meaningful and relatively "fair" in the sense that you know kind of when you're in a risky situation, and that's when you're away from the guards. The guards don't ensure you're not going to be ganked, they just improve your odds considerably. The path you take to and from guard populated areas will have varying risk, and you'll need to have skill to either fight, stealth, or run through them. But where there are guards present you'll have a semi-functional game experience that should create the kind of organic pvp I'm looking for (and I hope others are looking for).

Shardfalls are a perfect example of a place that shouldn't have guards (and won't), but people aren't living there, they're not talking to each other much or saying "yes let's make that trade for Gold COTO's, I'll meet you in the Shardfall!" See what I mean? Where as in Owl's Head there's more going on than just "kill kill kill".

Gravidy, Numa, Acred and 3 others like this.
  15. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

Once there is PvP sure, then it might be liable to have a +25% bonus, and on the Friends Online they are allready discussing a really bad solution, that will affect the crafters mainly. For now I see no meaning in giving a bonus for something that hardly exists...
    Add guards that attacks these murderers and thieves on sight, not to kill them but to beat the sense out of them and put tem in jail depending on how much evildoing they have been doing, then the +25% would be liable. The PvP'ers have towns they allmost solely can go to as is, the PvP towns, add merchants to these where they can go and sell. Just to bad these are PoT towns only, devs should create NPC PvP towns.

16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Then if it "hardly exists" don't complain, take the PvP flag and go enjoy life.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  17. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

OK, I can see your point. So the biggest issue is ganking when zoning in when you can be jumped before your character shows up for you in like Owl's Head. I have watched a few folks doing that in Owls Head and not wanting to be offensive, I do have to say that is pretty low brow. I'm sure everyone is aware of the zone in issues,I know killing at town zone in can't be described as an exploit,but it seems pretty bad if to kill someone you have to start killing them when they can't even see the scene. That seems like you are just being bad toward other players, not a real PVP'er.
    But as long as everywhere in Owls Head isn't safe for flagged players,because I think PVP'ers should not expect safety everywhere in a town, I agree with you then.

18. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Do you get killed and forced out of a zone when you are farming consistently in SPO or MPO non-flagged? That is what this is about.

First PvP incentive in a long time that has actually worked. Not all game features are about each and every player.

3devious, Numa, Ahuaeynjgkxs and 2 others like this.
  19. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I was just in a party, flagged PVP - in a PVE scene... I was whittling down a Ferocious Red when out of the blue - I'm ganked - from behind - it happened so fast I thought it was the spider that got me. I already have two death penalties stacked against me and this dude just got my main bow and I don't have enough gold to pay the ransom... so - I have to leave the party and the scene and go back to my house and dig through a chest for some crap I keep on hand that I can turn into gold quick when I need gold quick.

What a pain in the arse!

Trust me, the 25% hardly makes flagging worthwhile... if I was a min/max SPO purist - I would never be angry about something like this bonus. PVP is just fun - if all you want to do is grind and raise your XP so you can grind some more, don't ever flag for PVP... totally not worth it if all you want is XP and a grind.

MrBlight, Numa and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sorry but... HAHA :d

thanks for saving me the saliva :p

Duke Avery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.