am i considderd less of a player in shorud since i dont pvp ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morgoth redbeard, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armar

Armar Avatar

Wow, so one can lay siege on player owned tows and ransack them? Sounds great.

Oh, wait, you probably mean an instanced, meaningless castles..?

I totally liked the siege system of Shadowbane btw.

// Armar

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  2. Armar

Armar Avatar

Do i get "less content" if i dont craft and dont own houses? And if thats so, isnt it my own decission?

// Armar

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe people should get 50 % less EXP if they don't own a house with lots of decorations in a POT...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    meadmoon and Fister Magee like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

plus it could be the first iteration of something. The problem is in choices the team makes that are harsh punishments sometimes they will go back and cave. We are not going to like every decision in every game we play. I have seen a zillion times in making this game that players do not always know what is best for the game or even the developers. So what harm to try things? We can talk it out later with our feedback but to stop progression to try it out because we do nothing but argue and threaten back and forth does the game no good.

We may find that the decisions we have to make to avoid some harsh choices in the game are actually very immersive and make it a better game in the long run. It makes us think and choose and play the game and then we have to try to solve things, strategize things and it is then a real game, which it is not yet at this moment.

Fister Magee and MrBlight like this.
  5. Womby

Womby Avatar

@Chris If someone is flagged PVP as a result of stealing, it would be great if I, as an upstanding and virtuous citizen, could attempt to punish them without also being flagged for PVP. Something to consider. :)

The reasons I think this would be a good idea are:
    1. Increases the penalty for stealing if thieves can be attacked by both PVP and PVE players.
    2. Gives PVE players who would not normally flag a sample taste of PVP to see how they feel about it.

6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

This thread just hurt to read.

Fister mage, as usual i agree with you some 5 pages in. on mobile, quote didnt carry over.

To the people still going om about the 25% being unfair, your clearly not flagged and ive broken down how its an attempt at balancing exp lost due to pvping in MMO mode in other threads.. in no way are you forced into it. and all it does is balance out a differnt style of play. ( omg yes guys theres multiple styles of play ).

Anyone claiming it hasnt tipped more people into pvp, and into mmo mode , is claiming an unsupported argument, as looking around says differently.

Lambs to the slaughter? The dif between most players isnt as large as you would think. id wager anyone in a solid 85+ can pvp competitivly agianst the average flagged person. obvious exceptions just like in anything else. If your flagged just to get exp, and are having to deal with pvpers just like .. pvpers also flagged, i have no sympathy for you.

My own testing, i make more exp unflagged on average. So this massive *advantage* is pretty weak argument. If your flagging and hiding in the corner of a not used zone, then congrats on abusing the bonuse. its not there for you.

Is this a solution to pvp longterm? nope. is it a bandaid that seems to have breathed SOMe life into pvpers? Yea.

Why arnt pvpers flagged in the first place if thats what they wanted? some were. i wasnt? myself and friends have been in friends mode since start.. and actually that step made us play in mmo mode fully now, flagged and un flagged. sounds silly but it acted almost like a reminder to get outa that comfort zone, and no regrets. im willing to bet that evening out some of the exp loss flagged, pulled a LOT of people outa friends mode.

I keep seeing sooo much critisizm over this lil change they made, yet no real solutions. Im pretty confident in the devs knowledge to realize they need some goal orientated pvp and more, i dont think acting like their quick lil band aid is enough to base their long term plans over.

As for stealing putting you in pvp? good?
    Also hope it makes guards aggro you if you were caught.

Id rather that it was based on a discovery chance? not a set steal, your flagged.
    But lol steal or dont steal, heres the consequence. play how youd like.
    If i punch a troll, i expect it to step on me. crying about playing as a criminal having consequences is like me crying about a troll punching me back.

I also feel like its the first installment towards that area of play, everything about this game has come in in small peices, dont expect this to be any different.

And ugh the healing pvp flagged debate. If your group is flagged, you should have to risk it too. Cost of being reliant on other people.

And.. theres really no way to seperate pvp lovig players and pve ing.. cant level off players. if we could, it would be exploited. suggestions of maken player deaths worth xp at this stage of the game, is just a bad idea.

Towards op : nah doesnt make you less of a player, just means your not exploring every aspect to the game. your choice.

Fister Magee likes this.
  7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Yes. some kinda criminal punishment timer.
    But stealing shouldnt be 3 times ure flaggged.. should be 3 detections, your out. lil more elaborate.. but yea

8. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

How old are you? Your qq is same ridiculous behaviour which you complain about childish pvpers.

9. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

It's a great idea and provides a nice middle ground to help get ppl familiar with how PvP works. You know it could even be only players in PvE mode that can attack thieves. So it becomes part of their role and is fitting since they're NPC based players to a degree.

I think you should PM RG directly with your idea, he might like it.

Fister Magee and MrBlight like this.
  10. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

You know what's really shocking here is how any good came out of this obvious ****-thread.

I'll be stroking my beard about it for weeks.

11. Armar

Armar Avatar

Hi,

i dont understand how "Do i get "less content" if i dont craft and dont own houses? And if thats so, isnt it my own decission?" is related too

???

So why should i get less exp if i dont own a house? Its fine with me if you get some extra decoration exp though :)

// Armar

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Because then you would get an incentive to own a house in a POT. And participate in the gigantic community of SotA-POTs. It's all about incentives, you know ;)

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Funniest thing I read all week haha :D

majoria70 likes this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Well single players got a point, pvpers got a point, strange to come to common ground in this thread, lots of generalizations and half arguments.

Many arguments also left out of conteXt...

To recap :

- the 25% is fine, you actually pay much more in items you lose and death...
    - Thieves should be retaliated against, eye for an eye...

- There should DEFINATELY be an option to "knock someone out" and take back your items without killing them (duh). Virtue sometimes manifests in mercy...
    - Once a thief is "known" by certain players, perhaps on repeat offense, the player should always be allowed to fight WITHOUT flagging so he can keep the thief at bay, and not risk a gank.
    - PvP should be made to be meaningful with MANY of the ideas that were freely given by some great minds in our community who were completely ignored for no apparent reason, while it seemed much easier to get a dev to say "no". Showing basic respect...
    - NPCs should definately react to a thief, and guards should chase them, thus making some items desirable because of the difficulty in stealing them (duh).

- I should not be repeating all of Ultima genius to devs who supposedly created the game.

This stuff is KNOWN, it should have been ironed out WAY before the skill was implemented.

MrBlight, Fister Magee and Armar like this.
  15. MIdnightvalkyrie

MIdnightvalkyrie Avatar

My personal opinion: If the devs, after this experiment, have gathered data that shows that the quantity of actual, honest-to-god PVP has gone up, then I'm in favour of this change. I don't PVP myself, and I will not flag to gain a 25% xp bonus, but it's no skin off my nose if others do so.

On the other hand, if their data shows that more people have flagged for PVP but there is not actually more PVP fighting going on - as in people flag but run for the hills at the first sign of a fight - then I think they should try some other incentive.

Acred, MrBlight and Steevodeevo like this.
  16. Armar

Armar Avatar

Thiefs should be flagged PvP+ on detection. Detection should be possible for any skilled Player character in x*ft range of the ongoing theft. A warrant/headhunter system would be great but IMO but there are more pressing things for the devs atm.

// Armar

17. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

Oh boy, this is the entire UO PvP argument all over again.

Developers can't seem to make PvP meaningful and PvP-starved players look for any reason to initiate PvP, no matter how ridiculous.

Trammel v2, I can see you coming. Shouldn't be long now.

SotA PvPer: "How come no one plays this game anymore?"

Derp

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

We are pretty far from what you predict to be pretty close now.
    Fun fact: most core pvp players don't want Trammel reloaded anyway.
    But it's a nice strawman.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Fister Magee like this.
  19. Armar

Armar Avatar

See, i like player owned towns. But it should be possible to siege them. Hard, very hard, costing loads of resources and require serious coordination, but possible. But this wont happen "here".

// Armar

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  20. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

How many core PvP players are there in comparison to everyone else? Their numbers may not even matter.

Let's not forget how surprised the UO player base was that Trammel became so popular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.