Need to look at PvP players who are going to kill PvP for all of the PvP players,

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Weins201, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I have seen a few PK'ers in Owls Head and I just shake my head watching them. Obviously there is one thing that can be done and it will be up to the developers to do it. That would be to enable a timer where no one can be a target for a certain time zoning into a scene or rezing. They need to allow for lag,but this would keep the PK trolls at bay until you zone in and decide to fight or flee. No one is going to change their behavior. But this suggestion is between the PVP community and the developers, I have no horse in this race. :)

If you don't care about PVP but you are flagging to see what is happening, there are other threads by PVP players who describe what is going on. I truly doubt the PVP community needs any help from a non-PVP player trying to "fix" PVP or determine what the current issues are. My suggestion is take your PVP flag off and let the PVP community tell the developers what the issues are affecting PVP in the game.

What you are doing amounts to walking in Central Park at 3am and then complaining you were mugged. If you don't PVP and don't care to PVP, then don't flag for it. If you don't want to risk PVP for the extra 25% XP bonus,don't flag PVP. All you are doing is setting yourself up and then complaining about what happened. Go look at all the post by PVP players,they really don't wan't or need us non-PVP'ers "helping them". As I said in the beginning of my post, PVP is between the PVP part of the community and the game developers.

Blink, Ancev, Vrunk Hrrk and 6 others like this.
  2. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

The difference is that the game limits PvE impacting other players to mob and resource stealing. And maybe immersion breaking behavior and bad taste. (But that's an RP vs Non Rp topic)

iansmellios likes this.
  3. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I wish it were that simple. By using PvP flag to make up for missing PvE game mechanics the developers force-mix two communities.

It might be economically necessary but it will create many issues and problems.

4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

:rolleyes:
    You can't fix human nature.

Instead one needs to create systems that mitigate human nature.

Rez point logic and features are what needs adjusting, not some sort of "name, shame and force out of game" vigilantism.

fonsvitae, Womby, One Zero and 9 others like this.
  5. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Would you use an E bolt?

FrostII likes this.
  6. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Bring the guards into play like UO, if you where getting attacked you could yell GUARDS if you werent flagged and it was a criminal act and they would get insta killed. Assuming you where in a town with guards and they where near.

Crowquills, MrBlight and iansmellios like this.
  7. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

That player who did rez kill is exactly what would motivate alot of players.

1. Set a Bounty for that player to hunt him down.
    2. Message your friends to come to help you.
    3. Bored Anti PK Guild is happy it can stop the dancing and throw up emotes event and go hunt a bad behaving player.

4. Guilds can create Guards who hide at Ankhs to suprise evil players.

5. Guilds can organice Protect Zone shedules and have meetings planing how to protect all from rez kills

6.Roleplayers can wrote ingame poems about the heros who killed the rez killer

7, A evil Guild comes to aid the rez killer and even out the power.
    They call out a war!

8.. Many Guilds formate on both sides!

And hurray! - Thx to one wurmhole who is doing rez kills suddenly a ton of meaningful reasons to play this game come to existence.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Blink, Armar, Vrunk Hrrk and 6 others like this.
  8. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Meaningful reaction of npcs to pvp/pk behavior have been asked for and mentioned as potential way to limit conflict.
    According to LB in a different thread they (currently?!) cannot make the guard npcs penalize deco-thieves. To me this sounds like we are not going to see any behavior based npc interaction soon - including guard zones.

iansmellios and Jivalax Azon like this.
  9. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

I'd much rather the pvp community police itself anyway. Just give us an ingame method to do do like a bounty board.

10. Selene

Selene Avatar

As I said in the first version of this thread, you can't expect the pvp community to remove other players. It is like telling decorators to get rid of players with poor deco skills or housing features will "never be taken seriously!!!1!"

This is an example of bad implementation of pvp.. not a reason why pvp will never be worthwhile or valuable. They are only doing what Port allows.

iansmellios, FrostII and Audacity like this.
  11. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I find myself agreeing with Weins on this one. When PvP first started in R? I went to an area and sat down by an ank with afk. Some players stopped, killed me, then realized I was not fighting back and wandered off in search of more interested opponents. However, a couple stopped and killed me several times. One 26 times. Now, bear in mind, this was way back when we could first PvP. There was no rewards. These people just enjoyed killing the helpless. When I stood up and messaged the main offender, he made an excuse it was not him, but his elemental and he didn't mean it, he wasn't rez killing etc. But I had been watching and knew better. Not every PvP player is that guy. Not every PvE player uses exploits, but when one is found, he is soundly trounced or even expelled from game. But this type of PvP behavior is tolerated by other PvP players with the sole argument "if you don't like it, don't PvP flag". Well, why is the PvE argument not "if you don't like it, you find and use the exploits"? But it's not, because most PvE players don't support exploiters. BUT most PvP players, while truly not supporting PKs, don't really do anything to discourage them.

And then giving a bonus to those who flag PvP and calling it totally fair is a bit much for some of us to swallow and being told we're wimps because we don't like being PKed is insult on top of it. SO, my solution would be to flag up to PvP so I can get the bonus, then promptly ban everyone who isn't a friend who I see in my instance and relog. Solved! I get the 25% bonus and don't have to PvP. Surely that's ok. The game mechanics allow me to do that. What's that? Not how it was intended? Well, now we have a conundrum. Because for some stupid reason, many PvE players assumed it was not intended that they volunteer to be second class gamers in a sandbox game simply because they don't want to PvP!

12. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Really, this slight change makes you feel like a second class gamer? :eek:

GreyMouser Skye and Audacity like this.
  13. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Let's not even start here, there are too many other thread already pointing this out. Surely you have read them. But thanks for attacking me and not the argument. Kind of makes my point.

14. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

There is not a partial 'like' button, so I liked both of the previous posts. :)

Just like LB's 80-20 comments, it is the 20% that messes up the majority, in all aspects of play. This is where thoughtful game mechanics needs to be implemented. Luckily port does not want an influx of players now. These things need to be thought out.

Jivalax Azon and FrostII like this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Contrary to popular belief I am a big fan of PvP. PvP with a purpose of course.

I am very quick to voice my position when it comes to building a system around toxic PvP.

Currently we have a PvP system that is cannibalistic. Very supportive of toxic PvP.

Toxic PvP example: Beginner, intermediate, and advanced zones. Once through all the zones the only game left is 1; fight other players that have gone through the process or 2; prey on those that have not.

When it's easier or more profitable to take options 2. PvP is killing off it's own.

Adding in a 25% Exp bonus exacerbates this by bringing in more to the leveling/gearing process. What should be happening is incentive to go PvP in a place with meaning and rewards worthy of PvPing people on the level. Not those beneath the level.

Not many are going to admit to preying on the weak with the intent on driving them off for good.

But that's what will happen. Specially when the devs promote the play style.

Xandra7, iansmellios and Jivalax Azon like this.
  16. Fizzlebang

Fizzlebang Avatar

You opt in for the flag. It can be removed at any time by visiting the Oracle (free btw). So you allowed yourself to be hunted and then proceeded to complain about being hunted?

Now look, I'll be the first to criticize and pick apart what is wrong with PvP in SotA. Yet, it has very little to do with what OP has said. Sure, being rez killed is a nuisance. But, that's a simple fix imo. @Jordizzle pointed out exactly what I would have said. The problems with PvP as it stands is there is no BALANCE. There is no real incentive. Ransom system is pretty atrocious imo. Not every PvPer wants to loot people of their stuff. I know I do not. I played WoW PvP for YEARS, and somehow, the incentive of titles, bragging rights, and PvP gear were enough for me. I never killed anyone to take their stuff, and tbh, THAT is what will keep PvP down in the long term. Sure, we can have that system available for those who want it. But for most? Nah, we just wanna see who is better at killing each other. I just want to be able to have group PvP without worrying about losing X Y or Z items/amounts of gold.

Give PvP'ers an actual goal to work toward (i.e. title system, PvP specific materials bought with some form of PvP currency that can be used for crafting, something along these lines)

Just my two cents :b

fonsvitae, Bayard, Vrunk Hrrk and 5 others like this.
  17. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Well the ransom system is a joke. It cost me 700ish gold if I wanted back my skull a wolf carcass and some arrows.. I let it go, I died again and it was my hand a shoddy bow, and my pants.. +8 pants at that.. least it only cost me 600ish for that. see my point here? If the pants are worth 8k and the ransom is 600 why would vendor trash worth less than 100 prove to be more of a ransom?

Korim Rackham likes this.
  18. madnezz

madnezz Avatar

If a dragon kills you over and over do you run to the forums and complain about it or do you avoid it until you have the skills and friend's to eventually defeat it?

Rez killing and ganking noobs is how PK'ers hone their skills, you are basically another mob to us. If I can kill you I will do so until you leave or someone else makes me leave. If you don't like that they created options for you; get better, bring capable friends, don't enter pvp zones and/or don't flag pvp. There is really nothing more to discuss on the matter as the above pics have so elloquently illustrated.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Blink, Jobe, MrBlight and 5 others like this.
  19. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Thank you for proving the op right.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If only the dragon had the ability to chase people down zone to zone.

| Grave |, Numa and iansmellios like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.