All consequences are taken out of the story-game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

we don't have to say " I told you so" they already know it. The sad part again is you are right, we did tell them this from the beginning. So many pvp players have left over the years, and the ones here if they are like me are jaded. One thing is for certain is this game will get what it deserves.

2. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

This seems to be speculation about scope, scale, capability, complexity, ambition, imagination,... vision? A SOTA artist recently said, in response to a question, that the game had to make up ground from the initial vision that SOTA would be playable on mobile devices.

Mobile device tech is pretty awesome these days, but web / browser based games are very limited. The vision would seem to have moved on with realised funding and player demands, and maybe I'm being unfair, picking up on an unguarded comment, but how complex should we expect the game to be R1 on this budget? With this team size and with a starting spec initially constrained by a speculative vision, funding forecast and conservative scope, and perhaps even mobile platforms?

I've said before, crowd funded games projects are like empty buckets of water, they can stay empty or else overflow with resource and features and the project managers often really don't know how things are going to pan out when they scope the vision.

I expect we are being a bit crazy with our expectations. I would only be worried, and I am, a little, if the tech platform fundamentally doesn't support the ambition of the player base very long term. If Unity plus the host off additional tools are technically capable of all of these fantastic ideas, I'm sure the Dev's share this ambition and hopefully can and will support iterative improvements for years to come.

majoria70, Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  3. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Right... this is more of the kind of ultra weird talk that goes on. I mean framework??? Framework!!! The framework should have been worked out long ago, and coded as much as possible near the start.

To be close to the end... to be persistent... to be "polishing" sections of the game... yet still claiming the framework isn't right. That is just crazy stuff. That is not good management at all.

And I know people will want to White Knight it... BTW, I actually hate that term, but it's the only way I can express myself here... but what else CAN it be, to be near finished, but the framework's still not right?

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thats very hard to balance actually... you still don't want to punish people, and the agro range is HUGE, so if you analyse the field and realise you're going to get your ass kicked, you need to be able to run away and prepare, so it was with all ultimas and UO.

In UO we also had horses, so that helped if you knew you were going in a dangerous region. Basically you could run all the way to the end of a dungeon without even receiving one hit. Its not for nothing tho that the guards would have teleport, because it was needed to balance the speed some players got with different latencies.

In an instance based game I agree it makes less sense to have those "slow and no AI monsters" because its all more immersive, more linear (RG said it wasn't supposed to be but lets be realistic).

I tried again and again to get in touch with anyone working on the AI, but I was simply insulted and then ignored by almost all the team. Thats my curse tho, I don't blame anyone I'm hard to live by... they're just not ready for ol' Ahu and his cosmic partners. I'll wait a while...

Just hope they wake up before I head to blizzard or google like a zombie who cannot roleplay because he lost his jaw, cause I hate those big corporations who don't even know there is an international decibel gain standard and have no regards for ethics and e-hygiene. I think they are so stupid it would be a shame that I deliver the wisp AI package to them because noone else even listened to me for 5 minutes (its all I asked because its easy and quick to prove I didn't invent this information myself, couldn't have...)

It's so precious tho, and its the reason why I did character suicide, so people would see beyond my appearances, cause it takes alot of LOVE to hold all that LIGHT. Not casting my pearls before kobolds...

People don't realise but I'm freakin clever socially, I could have played the nice violin, and be nice and get much more traction than I did.

The guy who did the music (can't remember your name sorry) for the game is amazing, I like him and his music alot and when I saw him get his "welcome" on a google hangouts it brought me to tears.

People will put labels of jealousy and such on me but thats not how I am, I worked hard to synthesize all this information and store it in my very limited human brain, so when I see a fellow brother get recognized for all the hard work I feel along with them.

On the other hand that means I also feel things I don't want to...

I'll cut that short by finishing my thought, I didn't use a disguise kit when I joined this community. I am myself, as RG asked us to be.

and I'm only the doorkeeper, I won't join the "party" because I'll be to busy doing what I was meant to do...

Is real consequences really important for this game ? thats in the eye of the beholder, it surely is optional because we know that portalarium deserves its medieval sims collector game, the beauty of it is that its done what it was meant to do.

It created me, as damn annoying as I am, like the avatar at times I guess :)

At first I thought I was alone, but Lord Darkmoon's perseverance and the consensus we have on what a "spiritual sucessor" would truely have, is palpable ASCENSION and evolution.

That is what Ultima was aiming for since King Gariott realized that his games was having a great impact on consciousness, thus the virtues and ascension.

You see he deserves much more credit for that because he was VISIONARY, much before his time.

Thats why I'm here lets not forget ! Total fan, not only of his social engineering... hey Richard :)

Sorry for my bad skills in spontaneous conversation :p

I could say compliments like that about all devs here, so lets not be unfair to them !

Lets wait what "release" means and lets try to understand the lore we get fully so they're stimulated to create more... when evolution happens it happens, we can't force the key into the lock at the risk of bending, or breaking it.

I'm not going to say what the wisps are whispering, cause they are so rude ! -.-

My point is : King Gariott should be king Gariott, and we should realize that many things he want didn't get put forward because of this invisible war. They have to go with the flow too and priorities are priorities...

lets not take things too much out of perspective... they are working hard, the patch notes are impeccable, service is orderly and quick.

The only part missing truely is the PR skills and a way to analyze information that seems out of phase I guess, nerds are often laughed at well lets not reverse the situation because what comes around goes around.

peace be with yall,

Numa and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  5. Numa

Numa Avatar

After reading that deep and profound post by @Ahuaeynjgkxs I am (nearly) speechless.

As much as I dislike traditional full loot PvP, I will accept it if Port implements true factional wars. The way it would work is that the current PvP system would be the casual PvP mode. To participate in factional wars you would have to enlist in a faction. So that's two controls- the PvP flag *and* the Faction flag.

That's like saying "yes" twice over.

Sorry for derailing the thread- back to the usual channel.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Faction system is very good, especially when connected with the story :)

fiction ? :p

Numa likes this.
  7. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Reality is waiting. You can see it for yourselves in comments sections on:
    Steam
    Mmorpg
    Reddit
    Shroud kickstarter page

8. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

lmao. I can't speak to the comments on any of these other redirects of yours, but claiming that reality has anything to do with the comments on Reddit is a laugh.

There's a total of 890 subscribers, yet only ~5 players there who ever post, all of whom are banned from this community, and yet somehow they believe that they're speaking for the majority.

They constantly attack anyone who posts anything positive while spamming negativity. It's a slew of belligerent, hypocritical ranting on every controversial topic that arises, and they always try to defend their right to not be constructive while suggesting that they really just want the game to be successful.

Their slogan is literally ''the negative shall rise'' rofl. It's pathetic how obsessed and emotional people get when they get banned from an online gaming community.

9. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Its pathetic how obsessed and emotional people get about a project, to the point they don't believe in its flaws.

Kaisa and Pickley like this.
  10. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

No.

Pickley likes this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

I've visited the sites listed except for reddit. The biggest problem facing SOTA right now is apathy. Too few people care one way or the other. Let's see what the numbers are or become leading to release before counting our eggs.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Then it seems to be the mirror-universe of this forum here ;)

In my opinion one of the biggest problems SotA faces is that it was announced as a different game and has changed nearly 180 degrees without the devs ever telling the community.
    This causes apathy on the one hand and hatred on the other. It is an issue with Kickstarter and crowdfunding. If you annouce a game and charge money up front you better deliver what you promised. And if you don't, tell the community openly about it.
    What do you think would happen when the devs of Camelot Unchained would suddenly and silently change the MMO to a single player game or change the Realm vs Realm gameplay to a themepark gameplay without telling the community?
    What would have happened if Pillars of Eternity would have changed to a MMO halfway through development without the devs telling their community?
    This is happening with SotA.
    Where is the game that was announced during the Kickstarter? Where is the game, Richard called a "basically soloplayer experience with the option to play online"? Why did no one tell about all of the changes?
    Not even here in this thread there is any official word on how the devs plan to handle the issues I posted. There is silence and this only leads to more apathy and hatred from those backers who were part of the Kickstarter.

13. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

What's interesting is how in RG's response to this topic via our PM to him, he mentioned that by the end of 2016 we'll have a pretty good idea about what to expect for the game, and yet here you are, a month early when there's still another patch to come and the possibility of an announcement to the rest of the community, pretending like you don't remember that he said he's already spent the last couple months focusing on all of these concerns of yours, and asking him to cease development to come repeat himself.

So do you want him to develop the game, in offline mode where he's been working on everything you want for the whole last quarter of 2016, or do you want him to stop and come reassure you every couple days?

I'm sorry, it's just that I've seen like 5 players complain about repeat topic spam in the last couple days, so when it's coming from someone who's already been given a response on the topic by the developers it's getting a little ludicrous.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Still the vital questions, those problems that I pointed out in this thread, are still unadressed.
    I do not question the overall story of SotA but even after RG said he is working on the offline mode there is suddenly a mention of guards not getting any behaviour to deal with criminals. So the overall question still remains: What about consequences to our actions in terms of story, quests and NPCs? There has not been an answer to this.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  15. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Quite the opposite.

By telling you that by the end of the year, you'll have a good idea of what the game play experience will look like, he's basically saying that it's too early to say just yet.

And here you are, acting like it's a fact that the game isn't going to be exactly what was stated in the original kickstarter, and demanding that they admit that it won't be.

For all you know, changes like 25% bonus experience in pvp mode, or shutting off respawn in SPO, or PvP being the consequence for stealing, are simply being done to collect data, and do not reflect what the game will look like at launch.

You just have to read between the lines a little bit and you'll figure out right quick that you've already gotten your answer.

At least there is some constructive value to your OP, but the playing it off as if r36/r37 is what the game will look like at launch when you know better just doesn't make sense to me.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Having to read between the lines is tricky. One person reads this, the other that. Only really straightforward answers can prevent speculation that will grow into dismay.

So I will wait until the end of the year and see if there is any fundamental change. I will wait and see if by then there are real, visible and lasting consequences to our actions. I will wait and see if by then the quests and the offline game really play and feel like an offline RPG. I can wait those 29 days.

17. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

End of the year is less than 1 month away. Don't get your hopes up too high.

Kaisa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  18. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

You can expect an announcement at least, even if the game itself is still being vigorously tested and isn't an exact copy of what it will be at launch, ~6 months/releases after new years.

One way or another you'll have some idea of what it will look like, according to the man.

Have faith, fair pianist.

19. Liz

Liz Avatar

Maybe they pull off magic by the end of the year.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/magic.gif

But I think by March they will polish what is there for release and we will get more in Episode 2.

Be patient. I will play the quests once Richard Garriott says they are done. I loved all Ultimas so I doubt he lost his ability to deliver great storylines. Have faith. It just takes longer than we thought.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  20. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

Not a month. Thirteen days. That's the last release before the end of the year. On the 15th everyone will have their answer.

@Lord_Darkmoon Let's just wait and see what happens. After the fifteenth you can rail all you want since RG said we'll have "a good idea" about gameplay.

Wait. A good idea? Interesting choice of words. Market-ese?

Was that the exact phrase @jammaplaya?

Kaisa and Sir_Hemlock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.