Looking for some input about if Adobe After Effects is worth it for one month

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lace, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lace

Lace Avatar

I want to do a basic prism logo add some sound and stuff and windows movie maker I could do it in but would take me a week lol. (sound np the various captions are)

Wondering if anyone has used this for drop down. sliding and other effects that are not the whole are defined in a title or caption (aka multiple captions type of thing)

It is 30 bucks for a one month time for me to learn it do it and be done with it, but wondering if folks have other ideas. I can pay the 30 but shopping right now to see what options are out there that I am not finding in my internet searches

(I basically want to drop one letter at a time P R I S M and put a soudn effect to it for my videos pretty simple but not so much it seems at least in what I can find) ( I know how to do the sound its the adobe after effects and is it worth it thing)

thanks and help appreciated

Kara Brae likes this.
  2. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

As a graphic designer I will tell you this because it is the biggest mistake you can make, due to the fact the Adobe products are expensive.

If you're not a graphic designer, don't waste your money of Adobe products. You mist have the talent and understanding of design principles to begin with...they are just tools and not user friendly to non-designers.

I don't use Windows so I don't know what products are available but search for Win equivalents to the OS X software app Hype, which is really easy to use.

Or...PM me and I can probably throw something together for you. What format do you want the output?

Snikorts and Lace like this.
  3. Lace

Lace Avatar

I have a vision but dont want to waste real talent on my thoughts, your feedback helps a ton. I can RTFM and do anything and am a programmer but sometimes on visuals it takes me 10 times longer than the other person to see what I see in my head I dont want to tie you up but it is appreciated. If stuck I may take you up on this LOL

I have learned to use Adobe Elements in the most basic form compaed to my paintbrush knowlege lol but do understand some more advanced things.. THis is just freaking text lol. I can defeat it!

4. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

No worries. It would probably take me five minutes since I do this kind of thing all day long, so I thought I'd offer.

5. Lace

Lace Avatar

Thanks I updated my post to say this is just text, I can defeat it! .. I wanna try but if you can suggest a non adobe windows thing I can cobble together that would super help! (you KNOW PRIDE AND ALL LOL)

and i know 5 minutes for you, 10 hours for me but I always like to add to my programming portfolio at least to say i saw the black swan once.

meadmoon likes this.
  6. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

I can ask some of my designer colleagues on Monday. Some use Windows.

Lace likes this.
  7. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

Lace likes this.
  8. Lace

Lace Avatar

Very close love but now that you made me look at power point for an office 365, for 9.99 a month I can brush up on that and more you rock @meadmoon

I will be studying!

meadmoon likes this.
  9. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

Anytime. :)

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I haven't used it myself but take a look at Jahshaka.

11. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

It's a decent editor and probably OK for a short term project.

Unfortunately the developers haven't updated the software for several years, it's not generally known as a user-friendly program, and since it's open source the only support you get is their forums, which are really dead. Since it's open source, you're only wasting time if it doesn't pan out.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, I personally use OpenShot for any small videos I need to make but I don't know if there's a Windows version.

13. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

• Cross-platform (Supports Linux, OS X, and Windows)

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Oh yeah, there's a Windows installer right there on their DL page. :rolleyes:

15. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

I'm so used to Final Cut Pro that I just use it for any length videos these days. It's a beast though and not what I would call inexpensive. It is cheaper than it used to be, I think around $300 in the App Store. Used to be twice that when I bought it. :(

16. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

There's also Sony Movie Studio and Cyberlink PowerDirector that are one-time purchases instead of monthly fees, but if Office365 meets your needs then that's probably the best value if you'll be done with it in a month or two or the other programs with it make it worth continuing to pay for.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Blender also has a pretty advanced video editor but has a bit of a learning curve too.

Toadster likes this.
  18. ManaPlow

ManaPlow Avatar

Just as an fyi if you do go with After Effects... Adobe has free 30 day trials for their software, including After Effects. So no risk to try it.

19. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Yeah for a free app, it has a lot of advanced features. 3D design, textures, and the video editing. But it has a big learnxing curve.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.