Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

About the new targeting math

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by KuBaTRiZeS, Nov 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

@Chris

Since the modal mode (free aim) was implemented i've been using it, stopped relying in hard targetting altogether. I like it a lot and think it's a great improvement in the game. I was able to accurately select my targets just by moving the mouse.

During this whole release, choosing targets in a crowd is impossible, it only targets the closest enemy. I'm ok with that, since it's plausible not to be able to cherry pick enemies that are running together against you.

What is bringing me down is that my character takes priority for the closest vs the one he's looking at even when the trajectory to hit the closest enemy is 60º apart from my line of sight. when that's the case i'd expect for my attacks and heals to land in the enemy i'm looking at. Been killing the phoenix with the guildies and i've most healing water elementals even when i was looking directly at the tank.

I'd like to see this "cone" in which my character chooses the closest target reduced, so next release I can choose my targets again with reasonable accuracy.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Semi related.
    As an archer, it seems like it prioritizes rabbits over mobs in front of me.

Think maybe chris could make rabits not an option unless directly targeted and locked? i waste more rapid fires on rabbits then i care to admit.

Retro, iansmellios, Bow Vale and 9 others like this.
  3. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Since R36, targeting has DEFINITELY gotten worse :( Speaking as an archer, before R36 I used to easily and with some skill point my targeting reticle at an opponent and reliably it would choose the correct one. Now it seems like it sticks to the wrong one 75% of the time, where before it was "dead on" accurate, it seems like now the accuracy has been lowered incredibly :( This takes away from the fun and makes no sense to me... in R35 I could accurately target between 2-3, even 4 mobs in a crowd running after me, now it just targets whatever is closest and I have to turn my body at inane angles in order to target the one just to the left or just to the right, it used to be dead on accurate.

@Chris WHAT HAPPENED?

4. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I agree 100%. Turn reticle targeting back to where it was, I can no longer heal people by putting the reticle on them, it always hits someone closer.

On a side note remove reticle targeting altogether when in cursor mode and use tab targeting system only. That way people playing both ways get what they want.

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Rabbits do seem to be magnets. Yesterday I was directly facing and backing away from a single bandit and flung an Obsidian arrow at him. The spell went off on a tangent and hit a bunny that was off to the side at a 100 degree angle.

6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

This happens alll the time to me, and its usually with muliply stacked rapid fire.

Also with my wolf example, 3 wolves hit me, it will actually cycle between them ignoring the one im *locked on*

Its very very frustrating.

7. Net

Net Avatar

In highvale I kill a lot of cats ,strangely enough even aggressive elemental hates cats and other neutral targets instead of attackign just hostiles.

I have a lot of troubles targeting distant enemies. I like my long range spells to go after those archers hitting me while my close range AoE can deal with those fighters coming at me.

What is worst is that my healer experience changed to terrible.

I cannot heal frienldy targets by looking at them. What is worse, the Alt does not seem to work, so if I have pet/party member targeted, I keep healing them no matter whether I hold Alt or not, which is super annoying. Sometiems I need to heal myself too.

Also sometimes I experience some form of "soft" targetting and keep losing my target by using new glyphs, not really sure whether it is feature or not.

Lord Ravnos and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

The "cone" should be user configurable so we can use either the old way or the new way, or perhaps even something in between.

FrostII, KuBaTRiZeS and Lord Ravnos like this.
  9. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

The more I play w/this new "cone" the worse I am enjoying the game, it was just so good before, now it's... :( If this is the way it must be, please have a slider option to increase accuracy. I'm one to argue against frivolous options, but having it be so inaccurate feels wrong. It was soo fun before.

FrostII, KuBaTRiZeS and LoneStranger like this.
  10. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I think we have enough "options" around targeting already. I'm most certain this change is affecting us free aimers because target selection by aiming and by manual selection uses the same logic. Cannot prove it because i haven't seen the code but after all, only target cycling appears mentioned in the release notes.
    IMO This isn't a point to be negotiated, asking for even more options... this should be done right and make our toons to target whatever they're looking at. Do whatever its needed to make it so. If this is the way it must be, then it's wrong, and just another option won't make it right.

11. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I understand why some people don't like lots of options. It can be overwhelming. I'm all for hiding 'advanced' settings for those people, but there are times when I'd really like to customize my interface for my own maximum enjoyment and optimization.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  12. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Personally i just want a targeting system that actually feels like it works and hits my intended target, could care less if its reticle, tab targeting or just yelling out the targets name. Nothing more frustrating than attacking something thats not intended to be attacked and its not being caused by your user input.

13. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I completely agree. I don't want to imply that all options are bad. All the options that allow players to make the most of their game experience are most welcome. On the other side, options that tries to content everybody instead of focusing in a specific, desired experience dilutes the game and even when they may content everybody, it won't make anyone really excited.

SotA needs to focus in the gameplay experience they want to provide first, then provide as much customization as they can... but I digress :p So... I want my targeting back!

14. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

It'd be so cool to get recognition of this issue... was trying to play last night again and getting so frustrated with arrows not hitting the target in my reticle, and switching off to hit things well to my side, I just logged out :(

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

16. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Adding my voice as someone who wants to see this addressed.

Just today, using a Polearm and standing still fighting a wolf in front of me. Hard locked by double clicking on it, facing it directly.

A second wolf runs up behind me and hits me, and my target switches to that wolf, and then starts switching back and forth between the two of them every couple of skill uses...wtf?

The targeting in this game right now is atrocious and needs a complete overhaul. There are so many other games out there that have perfectly workable targeting systems, this is not a mechanic of the game that needs to be reinvented.

They have already acknowledged how bad the healing targeting is and i'm glad they at least plan to work on that more. I like healing but would never want to be a dedicated healer in this game and applaud those who take on that challenge in it's current state.

KuBaTRiZeS, MrBlight and Net like this.
  17. Net

Net Avatar

They made healing much worse in R36, I will have to check if on QA it is fixed, but as of R36 I had to hard target person I wanted to heal and when I did I could nto heal myself, not even when holding the ALT key:/

KuBaTRiZeS and MrBlight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.