Name Change Question

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Kinkara, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I disagree, i dont think players should be able to be banned from PoTs its part of the game. They should be able to to any pot , i could go fo banning from houses like UO did , but complete towns? As DEAD as 90% of POTS are anyway i think banning people would be the last thing youd want to do not like hes exploiting or anything just playing the game as intended.

Also should only be able to ban by clicking them too. I Ban thee! I Ban Thee!

iansmellios likes this.
  2. Net

Net Avatar

I still do not understand why some people have so much desire to visit POTs when they keep getting banned from them, I mean there is 99% of the game happening outside of POTs, the only time there is more than one or perhaps two people in POT is during the event and if you have to steal from people during event but do not want to get banend for it, then well, maybe you should reconsider your playstyle.

Of course, people could unflag themselves, but really, 99% of the game is outside of the POTs, you are not missing that much by not visiting them, wel lyou might miss some events, but I do not know of anyone who bans people randomly, just because. Usually people have very good reasons to ban someone and maybe, just maybe, you should think about not stealing/fighting during your POT visits. Might help you from not getting banned;)

Seriously, there goes a lot of work into managing POT and even more into events. However it is extremely easy to disrupt them. That is when banning mechanics come in handy, it is still bit too limited for my liking, but better than no protection at all.

Acred and iansmellios like this.
  3. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

While we ran the Virtue League in a PvP town Kinkara made the point repeatedly that if you're flagged PvP it is by definition "your choice". However, spectators that only came to watch an event that was being held in a PvP town did not really expect to be stolen from merely because it was held in a PvP town. Unfortunately he was able to take advantage of rendering issues (or something else) and we were not able to keep him off of the lot. Thus we moved the tournament to a non-PvP town. I am one of the PoT owners that banned Kinkara from my town. I do not want a resident of mine that may be flagged PvP to have to watch over his/her shoulder at all times to ensure that Kankara does not steal from them while they feel they are safe in our town. I am not happy with Kinkara's behavior and will ban any account of his that I am made aware of from my town.

Net and Jade like this.
  4. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I understand your upset at his behavior, but isnt the point of flagging PvP to be unsafe? I mean if you want safety stay unflagged? I think its understood if you enter PvP zone you get flagged pvP? If its not isnt there a huge box that pops up warning you?

Its your town do whatever you like obviously :)

iansmellios likes this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

There is unsafe and risk and there is plain old harassment - which is most likely what was going on . If you help a PvP event that was at tourney style event how would you feel if a guy just ran in and jumped into the middle of the fight - that is harassment.

POTs are privately owned and paid for - sorry but if you want to be an jerk I reserve the right to remove you permanently - for any reason I chose from my town.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  6. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Personally i would either kill him, or call in some friends to help police the event. surely hed get bored eventually, and if not then he would just get killed over and over. I would think a large guild like EVL would have the resources to defend their turf, but i could be wrong **Shrugs** either way its easier to just ban someone even if thats the cowardly way out (Strictly my opinion and im not calling any 1 person a coward just the action of banning) Now if the individual is exploiting thats another story.

I do agree pot owners can do whatever they want, come on live a little though. Dont ban people because your upset with their behavior. Especially.... ESPECIALLY if your a PvP pot. Otherwise just BAN everyone but your circle in your town can be a friends only PvP POT.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    iansmellios likes this.
  7. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

It really does all boil down to this.
    Did a little edit too. :)

Net and Korim Rackham like this.
  8. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Just an FYI, cant be banned from PvP pots. Only the regular ones. Can be banned from PvP town Lots (obviously), just not the town itself.

Korim Rackham likes this.
  9. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Oh then belay my last :) great call on devs part!

Oba Evesor likes this.
  10. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

Lol this reminds me of sporting events when someone runs out on the field.

But they hire security, has anyone tried hiring security?

11. ashmaul

ashmaul Avatar

Just FYI, you can not ban someone from a lot in a PvP town either. Kinkara was on a lot ban list for a very long time in a PvP PoT and that did not stop him from accessing the lot.
    You can add someone to the ban list on a lot, and they can not go through any of the doors on that lot, that is if they ever leave. You are not removed from the lot when banned either.
    I have done a large amount of testing on this topic, and the Ban function is either not compleate or Port just does not care about the function since it has not worked in a very long time.
    There was a time in the past you could not even walk onto a lot you were banned from (maybe a year ago?) but once they removed that, lot banning has not worked correctly.

Ash

Oba Evesor and Net like this.
  12. Net

Net Avatar

The trouble is, you cannot put anyone into jail though. It is really easy to interrupt event, sure, people can defend themselves quite successfully, but at the cost of not actully running the event properly.

I did some testing year ago and even then the banning could be circumvented with AoE attacks...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Miracle Dragon and iansmellios like this.
  13. Graynight

Graynight Avatar

Hmmmmm...

I guess I'm not understanding what people are saying. You are banning someone from a PVP town, because they are performing game created pvp actions?

As a (fairly new) POT owner, I have never thought of using the banning system against someone who is playing the game. Pickpocketing is an aspect of the game that is allowable. If it wasn't allowed, it wouldn't be a skill. Conversely, my town is not PVP, but that was my choice to make.

I believe (and someone keep me honest here) that pickpocketing can only be used by a person who is pvp on a person who is pvp. In that instance, it is a players choice. If you flag PVP you accept ALL the risks, including the risk that you may have someone with sticky fingers playing with your inventory. This includes walking into and/or living in a PVP town.

I personally never enter PVP towns unless I have an empty inventory. Why? Because I know that there is someone out there hiding in the shadows, waiting to relieve me of my personal belongings (Or jump me and take my head). Unless you turn it off, there is a warning that says "Hey, you're entering a PVP zone. You sure you want to do this?" You agree or you don't agree. I'm sorry, but attending an event in a PVP town is full knowledge and acceptance. Trying to keep PVP things from happening in a PVP town is (in my opinion) a lesson in futility. It's like jumping into a lake and getting mad because you can't breathe the water. If you don't want PVP things to happen in your town... why did you make it PVP in the first place?

I am of the belief that town banning should be used for harassment; but harassment isn't random pickpocketing. Thieves walking around a crowded room and cutting purses.... you see that in the movies all the time. It is what thieves do. This game has all the tools at our disposal to prevent ourselves from being in PVP if we don't want to. It is not the responsibility of the Game Designers to monitor or remove people who are just playing the game. It is not the responsibility of the Governor of the town to save me from my own choices. My adversaries should not be looking at me and going "Oh, he's just here to watch. We should leave him alone". It is our responsibility to not put ourselves in situations that we don't want to be in. If you don't want to have your pockets picked.... don't flag yourself pvp.

@Kinkara My town is Knightmare Falls. While it is not PVP, if you are in my town and see someone PVP, you are free to pickpocket, kill or any other PVP related skill to them. You will not be banned from playing the game. At most, I will put a bounty on your head and send a posse after you. Your head, (and anyone else caught stealing or murdering people in my town) will be displayed with pride in the Governor's office (if we ever catch you)

14. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

This is very true, I am trying to remember a game I played recently where there was a court system. Players could be judges and jury's, everyone could read the session in chat.

Once we have a system like this Kinkara won't have much luck stealing anymore probably.

I am also still trying to figure out why we can't just yell "GUARDS" and a suited up dude/dudette comes and one shots them.

Miracle Dragon and Net like this.
  15. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

That was ArcheAge - started off quite entertaining (the court chat was hillarious sometimes) but the system didn't acheive much at the end of the day.

Audacity and iansmellios like this.
  16. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I've gotta say, I'm no PVPer, (not now anyhow), and so this doesn't currently affect me.. but philosophically I partially agree with Kinkara and especially Envy, in that the game needs to allow players to play the way it's intended, which means, if you are flagged PvP, you must be wary of PvP, at ANY time.

That said, it appears POT banning may currently be abused because there aren't sufficient in-game options to deal with current PvP design. Better working guards, POTs with jails and/or justice systems, a working reputation system and bounty system, the ability to put towns into temporary 'alert' status vs. an attack, and properly working housing-lot bans for event purposes would be quite beneficial, and drive me to start PvPing! :D

Of course, purchasing multiple accounts in order to get around gaming rules like POT bans is clearly exploitation, and this type of activity should be tracked and stopped. Instead, please refute POT bans to Portalarium, as Berek requested, so that the situations can be dealt with properly.

Net likes this.
  17. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

POTs are owned places by the community. Just because we have open PvP in some areas, doesn't mean it should by defacto be in ALL PvP areas. Banning from PoTs is a perfectly legitimate function that preserves some groups from having to deal with uncontrolled PvP in their own areas of the game. They go outside of those areas? It's open season...

Miracle Dragon, iansmellios and Net like this.
  18. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

That's it!

Never got a chance to see how it played out, I only played it for a couple months. I wasn't down with the whole "log hours to do so you can get production points"

Scanphor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.