Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mining nodes obervations....

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Gairloch, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gairloch

Gairloch Avatar

I like everyone else in the game is mining their asses off for silver and gold for enchanting and masterworking. I have noticed that silver modes only appear in the bottom of level 5 mines. Since silver is used in every type of crafting I think the nodes should at least be around. I understand that silver is like a top crafting ingredient and you want to make it hard to get. Valuable to sell. However it is used by everyone to masterwork armor and weapons and should be available in most areas. I am not saying you should put it everywhere in great quantities but a little here or there. An alternative might be to use less of it on the easier recipes ... 1 ingot to start and then 3 as you progress and then 5 ingots on the high end stuff. That's my 2 cents!

uhop and Budner like this.
  2. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Let it be like it is. If you desire silver but can't dig it yourself, you have to buy it from other players. That's the way economy works. SotA will become a usual and boring game without its economy. BUT you can get your silver as well with low level toons: just seek overworld encounters at forests. There are always 2-3 silver nodes and the mobs around are usually low levels.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I absolutely agree.
    We already have the situation where everybody produces pretty much everything they need.
    If we now get as well the situation where every material is available to everybody the economy will be finally dead.

4. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

And I would appreciate it to become more difficult to reach the most desired materials.

5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Im also gonna make mention..
    I can name a 1 skull area with 14 nodes of silver.

Roving encounters have silver.

3 skull zones have silver..

there already is a ton of silver around if you leave your comfort zone. and it takes less then a week to get to being able to handle the silver mine.... its alreadt entirely too easy to get .. poor exccuse for high end resource.

mass, Budner and ship2 like this.
  6. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

For crafters producer points comes from resource gathering. If you have to buy resources you can't fill your producer pool to gain skill from crafting. These are basic mechanics that have existed since the beginning of the game.

The economy is already dead because there are no skill caps on anything, either for combat skills or crafting. You can't sell anything because everyone can make anything. There is no economy. With this type of core design, how can any type of viable economy exist?

1) There can be no specialization in a game that by its core mechanics allows anyone to do anything, easily. If I can level Carpentry to 40 in less than a half an hour and make pretty much any house deco I want then I'm not buying anything from another player.

2) If I have no easy way of searching for player vendors then I'm not going to bother. Whether it's immersive or not, I'm not travelling the overworld map to explore the cities and POTs to try and find someone selling something.

Malimn and Vagabond Sam like this.
  7. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

There should be skill level caps imo. Enough for players to do lots of things but not enough to do everything.

Malimn and Vagabond Sam like this.
  8. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

The idea is 'soft caps'. That is pretty much in for adventuring skills, via skill decay upon death. But the devs clearly admitted (in the recent telethon) that they haven't figured out yet the system to trigger crafting skill decay YET. But it will come online before release. Hopefully that will allay a bit of the issues you are all outlining here. Once crafting skill decay is in, it can be tweaked to make crafting more viable and specialized.

9. mass

mass Avatar

Not all producer points are earned this way; you gain some from learning new recipes, crafting items, crit crafting items, even salvaging items, etc. It is possible to focus on one crafting skill you want to level at the sacrifice of other crafting skills you use to get XP. I will grant you, though, gathering is certainly the most efficient way to build producer xp.
    This is true for some people, particularly at lower levels of crafting, but there is also a group of people completely disinterested in gathering and crafting and focus on building combat skills and farming gold. They are the ones that go around and buy stuff. I've even seen these kind of players complain that they have hundreds of thousands of gold, but nothing they are terribly interested in spending it on. I think 1) as the population grows, there will be a larger consumer base to serve; and 2)as higher level crafting comes into play, there will be more specialization and less competition among high level crafters (which also, hopefully, will be making things people want to buy).
    We should be careful with how streamlined tools will make this process. I'd love to sell more things on my vendor, but I also want exploration to be a component of finding the best deals. On worst extreme, I wouldn't want to have a website that lists every vendor in the game selling silver ore and then be able to sort by price per unit, and then just go directly to that vendor. I'd rather 'game' than 'meta-game'. On the other hand, with the low population, it is pretty difficult to find the things you're looking for right now.

10. mass

mass Avatar

I think soft caps will work fine as long as there is some cool stuff to make that requires 150 or 200 skill level. How many of even the heartiest grinders are going reach 200 skill level in everything within the first year?

11. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Definitely more skill tiered wares are in store for us! at this point its more of a 'waiting game' though. I mean, I've been working my carpentry since persistence and only have 61.4 proficiency. I don't "grind" out skills though, and if I'm not having fun, I stop playing. Nor do I have more than 1-2 hours per day to play. That said, folks that ground their proficiency up to 70 already have no recipes to look forward to past that, (that I'm aware of) currently. But they will come! :D

mass likes this.
  12. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

This also assumes there's a tangible benefit to the time and effort spent crafting something that requires a higher skill level. At this point the cost-benefit doesn't support it. What do I mean? The gear bonuses given for Masterworking and Enchanting (other than Attunements) don't outweigh the Klik-N-Pray failure dynamic. And the only benefit to be had from higher levels of each of those specializations is in a percentage success rate which is totally dependent on the RNG roll.

13. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

When I say crafting, I'm not just talking about combat gear, I'm talking about exotic decos, wearables, houses, etc... but I agree tangible benefits are nice too.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    mass likes this.
  14. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

I'm with you. Masterworking and enchanting are their own animals because failure of those results in scraps. Plus you don't get to choose the attributes you get when you craft gear. So I can invest dozens of ingots and get mundane results and have spent dozens of hours gathering, refining and making the base armor or weapons. I wonder if people realize the time required to skin all the wolves (or mine all the Iron Ore), Tan the hides (or smelt) to make the base armor and THEN mine all the Silver and Gold it takes for the MW/Chant ingots. If my die roll fails then i have nothing. And people complain because they don't want to pay 15k for a piece of armor. With crappy stats besides. You can say it's risk vs reward, but nobody wants to pay the price for the time I took to gather all that and take the risk of enhancing it.

If you attempt to make a Fancy Bed and you fail, you don't lose anything. You just get to try again with the same components you had the first time.

I'd love to see them apply the destruction-on-failure of any crafting attempt the same way they do for weapon and armor enhancement. You fail on the Fancy Bed? You get wooden scraps. You fail on milling your Pine wood? you get wooden scraps. You fail on your smelt? You get metal scraps. You fail on Cooking your level 3 food? You lose it all. That happens and you'll start seeing people realize that grinding that results in nothing doesn't make for a fun game.

I'd venture to say that the whales and backers who have prime vendor lots in the NPC cities agree with you. But every one of those spots is already taken. The players who have vendors in out of the way POTs and POTs with no overland access at all are going to be in deep trouble.

Technowitch and HalfPint like this.
  15. Gairloch

Gairloch Avatar

I don't think selling things is a reasonable expectation right now. I think it will be better once the general release hits and towns begin to fill up? By then hopefully the game will have a better crafting regiment.

uhop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.