Ur first GM skill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ajacied1987, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

LOL ya thats so worth it?

Jaanelle DeJure and Time Lord like this.
  2. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

There are many things about this game and how it functions that I do not understand, and am tired of trying to, they make no logical sense. Micromanaging skills and locking and unlocking things to gain is NOT fun for me. Maybe it is to some people?

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

When I reach GM in Engage Opponent, I'll be able to get up in anyone's face... So you better not mess with me.

Acred, Gix, Time Lord and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Although I *think* I understand the dynamics now it leaves me wondering what the intention is behind it. It seems very unnatural that the fastest way to level skill X is to grind skill Y while locking all the innate skills.

I thought the goal was to make the game so that players wouldn't be rewarded for such contrivances.

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Seeing to Some, is Believing to Most~;)
    There's nothing wrong with just playing the game and ignoring the locking of anything :) I did this many times before just to see where it took me and I never saw that much difference between them and no difference in gaining. Many times we want to "see" something go up which is one of many motives for locking, yet it's totally unnecessary. Just doing what you enjoy doing in the game raises skills, yet you may not "see" one you like go up for a longer time because all the other things you do are also going up.

In my current Avatar, I've allowed my adventure skills to rise to 40 each by locking each as they achieved 40. Now I am unlocking the one I most want to rise to 50 before locking them again for the others to rise. My motives are just to get all I can out of each skull level area before allowing myself to go on to the next level. I just want to get bored out of my mind with a single area before moving onto the next. It's a personal choice we make ;) My gathering skills I've never locked. I've saved everything I've ever gathered because I see no difference between gathered commodities and gold, "they're all the same to me" :D

It's just personal choices we all make... I chose to wait before actually playing as much as I would normally, because I didn't want to contend and I also didn't like it much when I showed up under suspicion of "botting" because I'd killed so much in the game. I'm retired and can play anytime I want to, so I figured I'd avoid the opening rush hour traffic by waiting :cool:

There's nothing wrong with just playing the game :D
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Retro, Acred, EtherBunny and 2 others like this.
  6. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

That's along the lines of what I do. I lock all of my skills, except for one active, then get it to whatever desired number I'm aiming for, lock it, change actives and repeat. Also, I locked mine at 40 as well and went from there. Once I have a large XP pool, I then dump it into an innate or 2. By dump, I mean I turn it on and continue my murdering routine. Rinse and repeat. Now, does this get me to where I want to be stupid fast? No, does it get me there at a reasonable rate? Yes. Also not GM in anything because house deco has taken over and I've been focusing on that :p One day....when I grow up....I'll have a GM too!! :rolleyes:

Time Lord and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its not fun for alot of folks, but luckily it isnt something you have to do. Out side of attempting to min/max, Locking skills allows folsk to use thier higher end skills without them sucking up thier XP pool, if they have lower skills they are trying to increase.

The ease at which you can kill stronger stuff ultimately is what determines how fast your skills gain. If you lock a skilsl your using to kill things with, with the intention to raise it later, then your actually slowign down the gain for that skill. Because all of the experience goign into skills coems from the stuff you kill. the sooner its used, the sooner your skill goes up, and the easier it gets to kill stuff, which makes xp gains ultiamtely quicker for all skills.

but skills like Light and Nightsight and such arent combat skills, and arent used to accelerate killign stuff, so they become overshadowed by the skills you use during killing. Your high end killing skilsl are gonna suck the bulk of the xperience you gain up leavign less for the lower skills, and that is where lockign skills is useful. But its never neccessary

8. Gix

Gix Avatar

Except when you have to grind skills like Camouflage for 3 days straight just so that you can sneak around using Silent Movement. It's not about seeing something go up, it's about getting to the fun part.

9. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

A guildy of mine reports getting about 10k xp every 4 minutes in Crag Foothills. He had 500k xp pooled up in just over 3 hours there. Haven't been there to confirm myself though. He runs as a melee/caster hybrid, groups everything up, and AoEs it all down.

10. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I'll have to go check those out. I usually go places that have bipedal mobs, instead of anything that walks on 4's. Why? Because of their auto scared tactic which apparently makes them run away forever. Unless you start skinning/harvesting something, then they hate you...o_O Anyways, was running around North Grun last night. Probably netted around 20k in about 10-15 minutes (I was looting and skinning also). It's a 4 skull, but that just means I can kill things a lot faster. :D

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~The Exp Drain Holes... arrg!~:confused:
    I was wondering about that! I once drained everything into Safe Fall just to see how high I could do it... "So those types of skills are still drain holes hu?" :( Bummer! But they are "luxury skills"... so I don't truly think there's anything that needs to be done about them... or is there? I don't know o_O But I do know you now have what I want :D but I'll have to wait on it or drain myself dry... "which has never happened yet BTW"... My exp has been hanging around 3000 constantly.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I feel similarly. However, for roleplaying purposes, I will be GM'ing a few things in the Focus, Tactics, and Subterfuge trees, as the expertese in certain skills in those trees fits my character's personality and traits. I am a melee char, and for the practicality in the reasons above, wont be GM'ing my melee skills as it isnt necessary.

Perhaps, but as I said above, Safe Fall will be a skill I will master, as it fits my rugged outdoorsy nature. I am one with the mountain! /fly

13. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

yea its been proven by a few that, storing xp isnt an effective way to generally level your character up.
    storeing xp is like arkah pointed out, for special abilities, switching trees, stuff like that, and i wouldnt suggest it untill you are later mid/high level. Or for people that only want to specialize in something.

Warin, Time Lord and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

I think it's an inherent flaw with the concept of having skills that level up "on use" while being constrained by a skill tree.

It isn't so much that they're "drain holes", but that there's no reasonable way for them to level up naturally and they're prerequisites for more practical skills... so they're more like "drain bumps" that you have to force through.

People complained about training on gustballs before but the game pretty much encourages it by its design.

15. Knightwolf

Knightwolf Avatar

I agree. My method is to I focus on one skill at a time in increments of 5 lvls. Turn it off until around a 50k-100k pool reserve and start again.

16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Cant give away my good spots or secrets.

Elder wolfs give a solo person 1150 exp per kill (last time i checked).. i can probly kill close to 4-6 a minute, depending on focuse use?
    pool is easy to build, just depends how much your trying to do at once.

I Gm'ed Aimed shot and Ranged combat, as well as has my major skills in 80s-90s before i ever micromanaged skills in anyway.

Numa likes this.
  17. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

LOL same here man no GMs yet. I have a guy in my guild with 57 Gms no lie. This governor business keeps me busy not much time for leveling.

18. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I did Tame Creature :)
    [​IMG]
    I did base ranged combat first.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  19. null2

null2 Avatar

I wouldn't recommend GMing anything until you have all the glyphs you want to use to level 80 first.

Glyphs take different amounts of xp to get to GM, but for this example I am going to go with the 2nd-lowest cost skills to GM, which is around 1.2 mil xp.

In order to get one of these glyphs to level 80, it takes ~180k xp. To get that glyph from 80 to 90 it takes ~245k xp. To get from 90 to 100 takes ~787k xp.

You could take 5 glyphs from 1 to 80 for the amount of XP that it takes to go from 80 to 100.

If all those glyphs were in the same school of magic, you could get 40 attunement (from leveling glyphs in the same tree) for the amount of xp that it would cost you to take one glyph from 80 to 100.

That being said, the first thing I GM'd was range combat.

20. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Mining was 1st, then Polearms, then Carpentry. just advancing the rest of my skill set to 80 for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.