Roleplayer's Corner

Discussion in 'Roleplayer's Corner' started by Larawyn Skjaldmaer, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Larawyn Skjaldmaer Avatar

Greetings to All.

I am going to make my suggestion very brief. I understand that there are role-players in the SotA early release. I understand that there are resources for role-players that are on other sites. I am delighted to hear this. However, from the stand point of new role-players determining if SotA is a game for role-players, it needs to be clear about that from the beginning.

We need to have more regular RP events for players. And I'm going to step up with my group and do that. I hope other RPers will as well.

But, we need a board on these forums that makes is CLEAR that role-players exist in SotA. Please add a "Role-Player's Corner" board to the forums.

We /must/ begin to advertise that SotA is a RPer's choice for 2017.

Regards,
    Lara of Grimmwold/Sanctuary/Comraich/Ironhall

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So formally requesting that @Berek add an RPers sub-forum in FL's Tavern. I can get behind that. :)

3. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

I have to agree with this completely. Making it clear from the get go is a must to make sure that role-players understand that there is a community here for them to participate in. Right now its hard to find them in most of the other games. Making it clear here I think would be of great benefit to them, to us, and to the game as a whole.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would add that such a forum should have a sticky listing active RP resources. ;) Such as RPotA.com and sotarp.com (ok hold my feet to the fire here I desperately need to decide what I'm doing with that site and make an update :) ) List of RP guilds, groups and towns..

I know this stuff is already on the forum but it would be nice to have it in a centralized location.

5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I like this idea! Didn't the forums have something like that way back when?

Where should we place such a sub-forum?

Elgarion, Korim Rackham and Audacity like this.
  6. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Honestly, any place most obvious to casual observance. We want to attract those who are looking for rp in mmorpgs. :)

I'd put it right on the main forum list under guilds.

7. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Pardon. I understand that it seems logical to put a Role-Player's corner under the now familiar Fire Lotus Tavern, but I do not think it serves the goal for such as a clear advertising marker. These forums do not have "sub descriptions" and instead explain what the forums are for via pop up text. To the casual observer, (and google search analytics) neither are OBVIOUS as having anything to do with role-play.

If the urge is to have less main forums, I would at least rename the Fire Lotus Tavern to include the word Role-play ... However, I still encourage it to be a fore-front board.

Warmest Regards

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Kinda yes and no. Fire Lotus Tavern was always the unofficial/official place to post RP writings and such but there was never really a place to actively promote RP in the community.

The real question is how will RPers best utilize an RP specific forum? I suppose we can find out. :) I do think the RP community would at least benefit from having a more obvious place they can go to find out what's going on.

Elgarion, Stundorn and Womby like this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I agree.. personally I would to put it under General Forums.. possibly beneath Player Created Resources.. or Guild & Town Hall.

Barring that.. inside Guild & Town Hall may be appropriate. Since similar community driven stuff is in there. As an RPer myself I would be drawn to a 'tavern' or 'town hall' if unsure where to look for RP stuff.

Elgarion, Lara of Grimmwold and Womby like this.
  10. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Dear Bowen,

Unless we have an existing and active RP community now, then I think we can safely say that the forums will not be utilized effectively for a while. I would propose the better question is, if we WISH to attract a RP community, what shall /we/ do within those forums to communicate that a RP community is viable, welcome and thriving. To this, I agree with your recommendations of such things as:

1. RP resources for SotA
    2. List of RP Player Towns
    3. List of RP Guilds
    4. RP discussions such as RPer rights, classes, manifesto's for RP-PvP Guild combat
    5. Schedules for meet and greets, new player classes, established story lines
    Etc, etc.

Unless I am mistaken, this is not about expecting the current RP community to be proactive, but rather about building a home for a game release community to move into.

Regards,
    Lara

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It would seem my lady that we are in agreement on all points. :)

Elgarion, Womby, Berek and 1 other person like this.
  12. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

*drops into a deep curtsy her head lowered and the long line of her body a graceful curve of respect* M'Lord.

Elgarion, Womby and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  13. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Once we are in large agreement here on what to place and create for the most role-playing forum this side of New Britannia, I shall implement the good suggestion!

14. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

FWIW, for people who haven't been here from the beginning (or even people who were here from the beginning but have been away a long time *cough*) the tendency to make everything a subforum is VERY confusing, especially when the top-level boards have "coded" names (ie, Fire Lotus Tavern instead of Role-Playing). Now, don't get me wrong; I in NO WAY whatsoever think Fire Lotus should lose her Tavern ;) (please don't eat me oh fiery one lol) BUT, if that is intended to contain all the RP community type stuff, RP or RolePlaying should be right there in the title (The Fire Lotus Tavern for the RP Community or some such.)

But I absolutely agree with Lara, if we want SotA to become an RP destination, we have to make it as obviously welcoming to RPers as possible. It's easy for RPers to give up quickly if it looks like the RP is a minor afterthought or 'weird' side-community.

Elgarion, Tiki Pirate, Womby and 3 others like this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I agree. My first preference is to have "RP" or "Role-play" right there in the title. I could live with it being in the Town Hall but honestly I'd rather be right there in the open on the main list.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If *I* were setting it up.. I would probably go a little nuts.. and add a couple additional sub-forums to divide things up a bit..

R0le-Player's Corner (or whatever it shall ultimately be named.. I personally am perfectly happy with it though).. as general RP discussions..

Events would be redundant and I think Portalarium would likely prefer to keep all that stuff in one place.. but..

On-going stories/plots.. if any group has any on-going storylines they want to promote and/or post updates.. For example.. I was trying to start something with 'Doomsayers'.. but I had a hard time of it and then got distracted.. (got a job among other things).... but it's something I could pick up again. Anyway.. it was meant to be a multi-event on-going story.. had volunteers to take on certain roles and everything.

Biographies.. or something similar to post character and town histories..

If I were feeling brave I might even suggest an In-Character RP.. or even a player run forum campaign (though honestly you might want your own forum software for that or going in PMs)..

Elgarion, Lara of Grimmwold and Womby like this.
  17. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

I will back Bowen on his recommendations, with one comment, from an advertising standpoint.

One forum with a few things going on looks like a nice start ... five empty sub-forums look like failure. If the goal is to advertise this, then I'd start with one forum, until such time as it requires another. I have gone to many games/guilds/private rp shards forums and taken a quick peak at their forms ... seen 10 posts and bailed without reading one.

I will even volunteer to help move threads to new forums should such happen.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

True.. just throwing stuff out in brainstorming fashion. ;) I tend to think more towards long-term goals.

Elgarion, Womby and Lara of Grimmwold like this.
  19. Womby

Womby Avatar

I don't know if this is relevant, but it may be useful. I have an island that is being set up as a complex collection of related scene stories. (A scene story is a combination of found text with carefully placed objects designed to tell a story. A simple example would be a skeleton sitting under a tree next to a suicide note, but much more complex and nuanced creations are possible.) A side effect of setting up an entire island that way (I refer specifically to the Isle of Ghosts) is that the uniformity of design (all Obsidian in this case) could conceivably work as a favourable environment for appropriately themed role play - especially since the scene is normally deserted (the back story is that everybody died on the same day over 200 years ago).

I would be happy to make my island available for Obsidian themed role play, should that be desired.

20. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

That sounds like a very viable setup, we should discuss further and see how this would work. I'd love to see it.

*smiles warmly*

Elgarion and Womby like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.