Very very slow Download of R37 patch.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CatherineRose, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grizelda TheHag

Grizelda TheHag Avatar

..............20 hours = 5%..........................(depriment( WHAT OPTION................... steam option = nothing

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  2. Visaard's Producer

Visaard's Producer Avatar

hello, haviing trouble dl the patch as well...
    i am trying torrent method, my patcher was at 15% 519 then rset the patcher and show 0% 520

should i download torrent 0-519 or 0-520 or both ?

3. Linthu

Linthu Avatar

Your post may have saved me another lengthy download. I opened the patcher again as well, and a 0 -> 520 torrent file was created. So, I don't know if its the right thing to do, but I am going to go with the 520 torrent...

4. Animosh

Animosh Avatar

So to make YOUR game work we have to download a 3rd party app because you dont know or dont want to fix the issue? If we do not want to use steam what on earth makes you think i want another program that may or may not be installing mal ware with it??

Jivalax Azon, Gatsu., Aldo and 2 others like this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This was discussed at Sotacon east. The answer is that this is a game company, not a distribution center. They do not have a team of dedicated engineers nor hardware resources to specialize in software patching and distribution.

We all have to choose priorities. We need Port to make a game more than a global ultra fast distribution, upgrade and patching platform. Steams entire mission in life is to do that and they have 100's of people dedicated it and 100's of millions in distribution networks.

It's fine to hate Steam, I hate Exxon. But you have to deal with the consequences of it yourself, just like I have to drive a few more miles not to buy gas at Exxon. Complaining to Port, is no different than me complaining to my car manufacturer for my not wanting to gas up at Exxon. Keep up the good fight, I have not bought gas from Exxon for more than 20 years. :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Mata, Baratan, Luca Xante and 3 others like this.
  6. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

11pm central time and there must be a lot of seeders because I am downloading at about 15mb/s

Also to help everyone out keep the launcher running when you go to bed :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  7. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Five hours for a complete download (apparently it will not let you just download the latest patch...) via DSL :eek: Not a happy camper :(

Jivalax Azon and brhanson2 like this.
  8. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

I am not sure whey they are not setup to do incremental patches, would save the whole world a lot of bandwidth :)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  9. Gabriel Nightshadow

It usually does (i.e., just downloads the most current patch) o_O Not sure why this time it forced a complete download :confused:

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Not going to make you feel any better, but this post reminds me of day, not that long ago, when I would spend an entire weekend downloading a game or an OS. Those were the days...

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  11. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

Its always done a full download for me (or it has a bad message). Always says "0-->xxx" for the patch number. Never anything like 519-->520.

12. Gabriel Nightshadow

Really? :eek: Hmm....I've only had to do a complete download maybe four or five times over the years o_O

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  13. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Because they replaced nearly all of the asset files to make the disk footprint of the game smaller as part of the R37 performance improvements.

14. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

I finally got downloaded. 12 regular hours then 5 more through uTorrent. I feel like Ive been working all night. Think I will take a nap sometime today :)Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.

Luca Xante and Tahru like this.
  15. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

Weird, mine ran at 680kb/s from client and I am all the way up in Canada....

16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

When I went into the patch folder to find the .torrent, I also found a 0->519 patch as well as a 0->520 patch sitting in there. Seems that might confuse the patcher, although deleting the files didn't seem to help.

17. Marishka

Marishka Avatar

Hey Jaanelle,

I would wager the patcher queries the server every time for the latest torrent, whatever it thinks your current build should be, which will result in either an incremental patch ( like 519-520 ) or a full build ( zero-to-whatever ). You can delete everything in your Downloads folder after the patch is applied, to free up space, as the patcher will not refer to them again. The only file the patcher ever pays attention to is the latest torrent and patch file its trying to download. The only time I've seen it get confused is if I kill the patcher while it's applying a patch, which is bad ju-ju in any case, and will cause a full client download on relaunch.

18. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

When you intentionally limit your own options you choose your own result.

FYI a lot of big name game publishers bundle third party software with their game installation. Maybe port should just toss a version of utorrent in the download and call it a day.

19. mass

mass Avatar

They promised us the old school feel. YOUR WELCOME ;)

20. mass

mass Avatar

I don't like steam. They are draconian in their rules, they have terrible attitudes towards their customers, the community is a bit of a cess pool, the client spys on you and can infrequently block you from playing a game when you're not online.

But they are very, very good at distribution. I use steam. You guys should take the blue pill and join the cult. The bitterness and shame will pass. It's for the best.:oops:

Tahru and Baratan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.