Wow, been gone for awhile, and now I pity......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haz, Dec 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haz

Haz Avatar

Wow, been gone for a few months now and now I pity someone who comes into SotA that has not been here before or has been away for a long while.

Good lord, I'm trying to catch up on things and reading the forums and what has been changed/altered (or remained the same) has me a bit worried.......not only for new players, but for my own sanity.

I kinda think the majority of new players are gonna run for the hills. Between skill management that is required to maintain XP pools, what is required to make gains in your chosen skills/professions, what you sometimes have to go thru to get from point A to B, multiple different banks (each being it's own entity and your goods not being available except for the bank they were deposited in), our deck system, and not to mention housing......phewwww.

People are gonna have to be very dedicated players or they are gonna have to just toss all cares and worries to the wind and let the world take care of them however it does that. IMHO, the worse part of that is that most players fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. So far, I've lost the 4 friends (one of which got me involved very early on) to the frustration.....but I'm still here, pluggin' along.

It's good to be back.....I think.

Kaisa, NZguzzi, Ice Queen and 5 others like this.
  2. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Welcome back!! Look me up in game if you want someone to group with. Also feel free to jump into the SOTA and/or Moongate Travelers Discord channel for questions or help.

3. Haz

Haz Avatar

Thank you, I will, appreciate it....alot.

4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I know exactly where you're at, because I've experienced a form of it in other games where I've played happily for awhile, left the game, then returned to something I could barely recognise/understand.

The danger, it seems, comes from changes being made in small ways, over time. And to people who are there all along, they don't notice the changes as much as someone who's been gone, then returned.

It's actually a bigger issue in MMOs, in general, than I think many devs or Average Joes even realise... until they find themselves in a situation where they are forced to notice it. And it's not a fun place to be.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Ice Queen, Haz and Xandra7 like this.
  5. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

If you do chat and play with someone who has been here through all the changes then you and that person make a better bug finding team. Something a friend finds obvious now may be completely misleading and actually bugged to you due to the new perspective, but neither of you will notice till you chat about it.

I am doing this with a new player in my guild and it had unearthed several bugs that might deter a brand new player.
    @Haz
    @Audacity would be a good help and I can help as well if you are interested. I would love to have all new players with a good experience.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Welcome back! Yes a lot has changed, things will continue to change as the game is still not ready for release. I wouldn't look for things to remain static until after release. The bank thing has been that way the entire time, so no change there actually. Glad you're pluggin' along though, any help or advice we can give you, feel free to ask here. One change which is good is the tips that occur during loading screens, hopefully we here in the community provided some good info there!

7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Thanks for your opinion, I hope this thread gets locked soon...

8. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Why would it get locked? It's good feedback and, as I picked up and ran with, it's a situation not confined to SoTA per se. It's something all games that make changes need to be far more mindful of than they are.

ie: Players returning after a long time or brand-new players, need to have more hand holding than many games (and even some players), seem to think they need. Without it, the experience can be VERY sub-standard.

Xandra7 likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Lol welcome back Haz. It's terrific, getting better and better. Nah new people are not so biased as some, the ones I talk to love it. :) and part of that is because we can show them things they never imagined. Even not new people can be shown some new tricks ;) again Welcome back.

10. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Just tired of reading the same old same old retoric, I'm glad he gave his opinion (although negative), I don't agree with any of it... The game has gotten better and better, no matter if he see's it or not. This game is in a constant state of flux and changes come monthly, so what's the problem? I predict it will devolve (like all the others) and get locked... The sooner, the better...

11. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

Welcome back, 1 step forward and 5 steps back.....

12. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

I think the depth and complexity of the game is interesting and promotes are wide range of strategies and gameplay. Many Ultima game fans not only want this but expect it. What's critical is that the game has the proper DEFAULT settings so that new players can completely ignore the settings and still have a fun and satisfying experience. In other words, micromanagement is optional and not required to enjoy the game. If new players have to read a booklet just to play the game, you've failed.
    Once you have a player 'hooked', then they will be motivated to learn more about the game and how to build a character.

13. Haz

Haz Avatar

@SmokerKGB
    Sorry if you took my post as a negative thing. Maybe I shouldn't have posted the comments the way I did, but what I posted is my experience, YMMV. I LIKE and ENJOY SotA. Have since the get go. Enjoyed the changes made in many categories.....disagreed with changes made in some categories, and the lack of changes in others. And you're right.....the game is in constant flux. I understand that as well as you do. If we, as players, do not voice what we have experienced and what we think about...stuff....in a respectful manner, then how can we ever expect SotA to become the game it is destined to be?

You sound a bit feed up Smoker....thats kinda how I was feeling when I stopped playing about 6 months ago. I have been....and still am....looking forward to seeing where we go.

@Canterbury
    Thank you, I think you may have said what I was feeling better than I did.

@Jordizzle
    LOL, yeah, the banks haven't changed, probably won't, but if ya don't say something.......
    Thanks for the offer my friend, appreciate it a bunch.

@majoria70
    I thank you for the input from a dedicated, and wonderful, player. Although I'm not gonna say when, where or how, but our paths have crossed before. Thank you.

Canterbury likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.