New player questions

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by artigan99, Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artigan99

artigan99 Avatar

Hi everyone, I'm new to the game. I backed it in the first Kickstarter, way back when, and I've checked out the progress a few times, but today I was in there for a while trying to get a feel for it.

My biggest question is about combat. I took the bow as recommended, but gee, it's so clunky to use. I can't hit anything close to me, and I don't understand the 'charging' bar. It seems to have no effect. The best method I could come up with so far is to run backwards, while clicking my mouse as fast as possible, and then hitting the 1 key whenever the 'aimed shot' or whatever it is was off cooldown. Horrible experience, really.

Is there no way to lock onto a target? It's all FPS style point and shoot?

My second question is about the mouse cursor. It goes away when you don't have a window open, I get that part. But it also disappears at weird times, like when looting. It will just disappear while the loot window is open, and moving the mouse then moves my character. Is there something I'm supposed to do other than double-click to loot?

Also, is there no auto-loot, or group loot? I have to single-loot everything that died during a fight, even if they are right next to each other?

Anyway, I see potential in the game, and I realize it's early access and all, but it sure feels wonky at the moment.

2. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Open options. Uncheck free attack. Double click a target for auto attack to start. Use your skills when available. Try attacking from higher ground.

I feel like free attack should be disabled by default as it's the more advanced option.

3. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

Hello and welcome! Some answers for you:

1. The charging bar will power up your attack - you have to release the mouse to fire. You can use auto-attack (the "T" button), but with the bow, it will go through your arrows very, very quickly and can be quite costly at lower levels. Also, once you get experience in more skills (and learn more about the deck system) it will make more sense and be easier. There is a good write up on the deck system, I will see if I can find it and link it for you (if no one else does first).

2. You can lock a target by using the "G" button to cycle through and manually select. If you do not, the targeting system will automatically target the closest mob.

3. You can hit tab to get your mouse cursor back. You can also use the "E" key to loot or interact with items.

4. If you use the "E" key to loot, it's pretty easy to loot quick.

Feel free to add me as a friend in-game and I am happy to answer any questions for you :)

4. Acred

Acred Avatar

Hello @artigan99 ! It's is good to hear that you are getting started actually playing SotA.

I would advise you try pressing TAB once to swap between mouselook and mouse-cursor modes. If you have lost the mouse cursor on your screen, pressing TAB twice should get it back.

Things are still changing with each Release, and there are others who are more able to give replies concerning technical combat and especially Archery. You should be able to choose a target with your "g" key. At the moment the combat controls to target are still changing. Personally I never have Auto-Attack on. It will eat up many arrows and kill innocent rabbits.

There is an icon that looks like Gears up on the top right of your screen. This opens the option menu, which includes customizable settings for Audio, Video, and other controls. In the Games section you can choose to use the Inventory List Mode instead of the graphics mode to view your belongings AND the loot list of each MOB or container you access. Access these by using the "e" key and if you want to collect all that is in it, press "e" again. That works fairly quickly, but there is no automatic looting or group looting.

EDIT: I see others beat me to most of these answers, but I forgot the best advice. Have fun!

5. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This might tbe deck guide that @ldykllr was referring to: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...od-and-how-to-modify-it-for-your-needs.58341/

I'm not an archer, but I do have one thing to say. I hate it when their bows are aimed at me! They tear me to shreds ;)

6. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Welcome to Novia!

And as a really good tip I would advise SWITCHING Your TAB & G key binds :)

TAB Targeting.... what a concept ;)

Laz

7. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

It's not TAB targeting if it doesn't use TAB. Right? :p

8. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome artigan99!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  9. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Yeah, especially if you're left handed. Taking you hand off the mouse to target is a hindrance.
    And Welcome :)

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

firesparx and Mata like this.
  10. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Mata likes this.
  11. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome to the game! Let's hope you will stick around and have a good time :)

12. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

The combat and targeting system definitely feel like they have a major identity crisis in SOTA lol. Someday it will decide who it wants to be when it grows up. :p

13. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

Auto attack is the T key and turns off every time you sheath your weapon (Z key). If you G to target and have pressed T you will start firing as soon as the mob is in range. (Actually with a Bow and the T key activated (auto attack) you will attack anything in range, whether you have targeted it or not, so beware :) )

I like the archer alot for myself because I have 2 accounts and 2 monitors and frequently play both chars together. My main is dual wield and my alt is an archer. Since 99% of the wolves I kill (im a skinner) tend to run from me I put my archer on autofollow with autoattack turned on. As she gets in range of a wolf she pulls it and i intercept it. Works great :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  14. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Since the community answered all your questions, I'll just say: Welcome to New Britannia, artigan99! Feel free to friend me (By Tor) in game if you ever need assistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.