Making Some Gold

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Larawyn Skjaldmaer, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

Welcome New Players, if you see any avatar with the 'hospitiler' tag is a very happy to help. or just add me as a friend and ask questions.

Druid Galiwyn in game

Mac2 and Mata like this.
  2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Welcome to the SotA family, Lara! I was going to give you a few gold-making tips - but it looks like the community beat me to it! If you ever need any help, anyone here, including me, will be happy to be there for you. Friend "By Tor" in game and I'll assist in any way I can.

3. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

I 2nd the suggestion of Soltown Catacombs. That's where I started off and worked it until I was a rich newbie! Go to the graveyard in soltown and click on the crypt door.

It's a very fun starter dungeon where you can level up your skill trees and learn to play while making great golds. Loot all the rusty weapons until you are fully loaded up... if you don't lose focus when you walk that means you have room for one more. Take the booty to the blacksmith in soltown (she pays more than the other merchants) and then go back for more!

You can expect to make 1k gold give or take a couple hundred every hour. I stayed there for a couple weeks, even after the xp dried up, because I had gold goals to reach for items I was eyeballing!

4. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

You can make around 1K gp per hour in any 1 skull zone. It's actually more lucrative to farm low level zones. Working in skills that will help you take down a whole swarm of 1 skull mobs will increase your hauls.

Stick to fighting humanoids and undead rather than animals to maximize the amount of loot you earn.

When you go to sell loot, shop around a bit to find the best price for your loot.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  5. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Some ideas for any Ranged focused players just starting out:

- don't level any of your active Ranged skills over 40. The increase in focus cost outweighs the marginal increase in damage. This is true for any active melee skill, but not for active spells.
    - Do level the first Ranged skill in the tree up to 90-ish. That is primary source of damage increase for the Ranged tree.
    - Level the innate Ranged skills up to 50-60, use your judgement on exp cost to lvl each one with the benefit provided by lvling it.
    - don't bother with last two skills in Ranged tree until they better tune them/you are able to carry a lot of arrows.
    - You don't need good armor to do 5 skull scenes. I just use unenchanted epic plate that I made and a +3 to + 5 bow and tear up 4 skulls and am starting to do ok in 5 skulls.
    - This is indeed a level based game, and your characters Adventurer Level is the primary determination of your characters power, and your ability to hit/damage/kill higher level mobs. This is a hidden stat that can be found in a text file on your PC after typing /stats in game. You increase your adventurer lvl by increasing any/all of your skills. I am about adv lvl 70, which is not high at all.
    - careful about buying stuff on player vendor's in Owl's head, most of it is overpriced. Shop around, especially in other cities. I would recommend just saving all of your money now and only buy basic Armor, a + 3 to +6 bow, and arrows.
    - Ranged classes find it easier to kill ranged mobs, and more difficult to kill melee mobs. Search for scenes that have primarily ranged mobs that are alone or small groups.
    - to quickly escape melee mobs, jump or climb up on a large rock. If it's high enough, They won't b able to path to you and will run back to their starting point. Ranged mobs will stay to fight you.
    - try whenever possible to attack from higher ground, you get bonus from doing so.

There is a ton of knowledge on this forum, read up to learn more!

Mac2 and Mata like this.
  6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I do have a ranged character but I don't use it much and am able to loot all the arrows needed with my main (melee) character. However I do have some advice which you may find useful. In addition to the Oracle, Town Crier and Mail runs advice already given:
    • Roaming encounters are an excellent place to get some public and NPC vendor-saleable resources (gold, silver, tree products, cotton products) which are otherwise difficult to find or spread out in low level areas, and you can pick the ones with humanoid enemies, just be careful not to engage more than one or two at a time initially
    • Remember that wolves are likely to run away from you, this means that you can often get at some resources near the entrances of some high level scenes without fighting anything, just make sure that the wolves run all the way away before you start harvesting (the entrance areas to several of the control points are excellent examples of this). If the wolves do choose to attack run away and try again in a few moments :)
    • There are several major towns (both NPC and POT) which have a whole bunch of nested towns, visiting all the town criers around (for example) Port Phoenix can get you 800g or so in ten to fifteen minutes (depending on PC performance) as a one time boost
    • I have a YouTube video which goes over all the above in a more disjointed and long winded manner if you have 94 spare minutes

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Mac2 and Mata like this.
  7. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome back Lara of Grimmwold! :)

Mac2 likes this.
  8. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I got to areas where there are mobs that can drop swords, bows etc. That way every kill you get some coin and items to sell for gold.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Mac2 like this.
  9. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

You caan earn 500 gold each day just go to a city and fiind the Oracle, analize you Virtues and then answer the qusetion correctly.

10. Schlock

Schlock Avatar

I've noticed the gold drops really don't scale up with the skull rating so this makes sense.

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

What a great community, look at all these people sharing knowledge and offering to help.

12. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

@Berek

There are some incredibly helpful tips in these posts. I cast my vote to have it made sticky.

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Hidden Vale run #1 - at lower levels even up to 3 or 4 skull areas, you can take a break from making massive experience and start your gold collecting journey at south valeway kill all the skeles, there then go to kingsroad kill all the skeles there, then north valeway kill all the skeles there, then go to Owls head sell all the skele drops and start over. you can make 1 k to 2 k per run it takes roughly 30 minutes one way, when you can carry more start at north vale way, then kingswood, then south valeway then work your way back to owls hitting those again (2k to 4 k) round trip, about an hour or so.
    Hidden Vale run #2 - ravensmore kill all skeles, work your way to south valeway up the road to owls head (4 to 5k) a run :)

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Don't know if it was mentioned already but to all Mages or Magic Users , create a deck with class 1-2 spells what cost no reagents!!!
    Otherwise you won't be able to make money, because costs for reagents are higher than what you can earn from loot.
    If you are good enough to beat the Serpent Spine Foothills Bandits , do them, they drop Halberds and War Hammers you can sell for ~70g each in Brittany Estates.
    I have a Discharge Build to pull the bunch together and Spam Discharge until they're dead. No reagents costs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.