PVP only areas vs. use vs. multiplayer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thooven, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thooven

Thooven Avatar

I am curious why certain zones have been flagged PVP only? Most of the "ruins" zones and/or the "shardfall" zones lie empty. In fact I have never been in one and seen another person except when it was someone I was grouped with. Is there any real value to the game to leaves these types of zones flagged for PVP when players can turn the PVP switch off and on at will (except in these zones)? Since PVP is allowed and does happen in PVE areas why not simply take the PVP flag off those zones so they are explored and used more by everyone? The zones as a general rule are so small that just a few grouped people can hold and control most main spawn points zones (see Deep Ravenswood). This would give those that choose to run PVE a little more reason to run in multiplayer. I have personally run test after test and no matter what I do I am double percentage points more efficient in friends mode than multiplayer (xp and resource). It seems the world feels less and less full as many people choose friends only because they can be more efficient than competing with others for resources and xp. If somehow some zones could be as efficient for resources and or exp then I think more would choose to play in multiplayer mode.

I think PVP zones that have purpose / control points / buffs / rewards / loot etc.... breed competition and are great for the game. I am just trying to understand how having empty zones and people running say 10 separate instances of (Deep Ravenswood) any zone is good for the game.

Thooven

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Pvp zones are good idea.
    Will be awesome. But they have no special loot or reason to be there atm.

Unfortunatly people are in DR because thats where the other people are.
    Small populatiom atm. Pvpers go where other pvpers or people are. Right now its DR. The pvp zones will get more important as population increases and loot tables and such change.

Verdantis shardfall got a light pass this release. So they have to be looking at exactly that long term.

3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Because they were designed to be PvP+ scenes from their inception.

4. Knightguy

Knightguy Avatar

DR is also a very efficient xp spot. Other zones need better balance.

MrBlight and Thooven like this.
  5. Thooven

Thooven Avatar

Rufus -- While I greatly appreciate your quoting ability the quoting of one sentence reminds me of something I see on CNN. It appears the PVE zones were by the very nature designed to be PVE but now they are PVP optional?

Point is the PVP zones are empty while PVP is actively occurring in a PVE zone. I am curious to know why we would have PVP areas and PVP flags when we have PVP zones that the folks flagged PVP simply do not use? Also since multiplayer is being pushed why not leave the PVP zones to PVPERS and PVE zones to PVE players. The PVP zones are not available to PVE players unless they flag into the PVP world but the PVE areas are available to PVP players who then populate the popular PVE areas thus making once again the PVE bonus pointless from an efficiency standpoint.

Thooven

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

PvPers argued that allowing PvErs into PvP zones without flagging (even in single player online) shouldn't be allowed. Somehow PvErs could go anywhere but PvPers only had their PvP zones even though they could PvP anywhere. *shrug* I've made the argument in the past that the move wouldn't bring PvErs into those zones.. it would only keep them out. So I guess now the excuse it there aren't enough people to PvP which I've been saying all along. :p

The bottom line is.. PvPers can still PvP anywhere but non-PvPers area kept out of PvP zones. Even when the PvPers never would've known the difference anyway when non-PvPers entered in single player mode. And PvPers complained PvErs were being favored? *shrug*

Well the debate went on and on and the arguments still haven't changed..

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  7. Knightguy

Knightguy Avatar

If they want to make Shardfalls more populated, they need to be the best spots for gathering and xp. That means the most per gather and, easier higher xp per kill monsters.

MrBlight likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I wouldn't say easier.. as then no one would go anywhere else except to avoid PvP. Now if shardfalls were basically "6 skull" content.. you'd achieve much the same affect. Those seeking higher XP per kill (not necessarily easier XP) might actually go there.

The problem with more and more XP though is eventually players will run out of skills to train up and XP becomes meaningless. You need other goals for high level players to work towards that might be facilitated by PvP zones.. (though I still think PvP zones aren't the best way to go for PvP but .. oh well).

9. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Wish we had some onsite to the long term vision of PVP as of now the wasted uniqueness of visually appealing scenes is just a sore point. Maybe their vision will include more than training exp/resource bonus's in the future and give PVp some true meaning.

10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Id find it hard to belive theres no plan to use what id say are the best looking zones in the game, effectivly.

But yea ive no idea their long term pvp plans or plans for shardfalls.

I imagine they dont wanna announce till its implemented, to avoid alll the crying that its unfair or games pvp based of bla bla before somethings implemented.
    We will see tho.

11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Aren't Obsidian Chips a PvP Zone only resource?
    I don't go for chaosmagic because it forces me into PvP .
    If i'm wrong please gimme a tip.

I would prefer dynamic zones where you can choose SP, FM, MP for every zone before entering, with a hint or tooltip for XP Bonus.
    SP normal, FM normal, MP +10% with additional 10% vor PvP.
    If the skull system could be replaced with dynamic mobs who adapt to players/ group strength and level this would be great.

But i want PvPers loose XP dying in PvP otherwise the bonus implies that you dont get the bonus for pvping, but vor taking the risk while PVE .
    So flagging is initially not about to PvP but to grind more PvE, but with a risk for PvP .
    To me PvP needs a meaning in sense of something lore conform referred to roleplay.
    Actually it's just a PVE Grind Bonus and nothing more.
    Let people control zones in PvP Scenes with CP and other objectives , but no ressources and PvE content.
    Kill a player in this special PvP scenes should give XP relied to the vanquished player and give a XP bonus for attacking,defending, holding the objectives etc...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Nah all wizards and mages drop chips. And you can find obsidian golems not in a pvp zone.
    Really nothing special to the shardfalls atm. Theres reason they r empty. Despite being good looking zones

Numa and Stundorn like this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

I actually got an obsidian chip from an awakened zombie in Solace Bridge. Probably a rarer drop than from higher level mobs but it does happen.

14. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I would hope they would not be hiding from the backlash of an upset community based on the direction they took and would prefer to think they understand what the majority of their player base wants and they are holding it back as a big surprise.

15. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Current plan seems to be to pretend that it is still 2003 and that the majority of folks that enjoy PVP didn’t jump ship to MOBAs years ago. :rolleyes:

Other than that, your best bet is to read the forum post titles in Dev+, those tend to give a decent impression as to where the game is heading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.