Is there a point in the Game you think you would welcome a Wipe in Sota?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Dec 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercster

mercster Avatar

I would welcome a wipe...at least of XP/skills. But I don't think we'll get one.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  2. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

The game isn't in good shape, population wise, no matter what any one individual's friends list or guild situation is like. I'm looking at the bigger picture, not whether someone can pull together half a dozen mates regularly.

And for the record, I don't have a desire to believe it's all doom and gloom or all sweetness and light... I simply comment on what I see infront of me. And what I see infront of me is a game population that's lacking... and shrinking.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah. Sure.
    Maybe you should take a few weeks off from SotA.
    Merry Christmas non the less!

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I already am. After this last release was totally ballsed up, I decided there's no way I'm going to spend more time on the game at present. The game really needs to get it together, pronto, or it's not just me it's losing.

Ice Queen and Jivalax Azon like this.
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

You really like that topic, don't you?
    Non the less in that case you should maybe take a few weeks off the forum as well ;-)

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  6. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'm not sure how you figure that when anyone who has the ability to use the search feature on this forum can find thread after thread after thread detailing playing figures and their decline. I don't know what else to tell you.

See, that's the problem with this forum right there. The figures are right infront of you. The commentary on it is loud and clear, from far more people than myself. And you tell me to get glasses. That just boggles my mind, frankly.

7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'm not sure what you mean by topic? I'm presuming you mean my comment about the game needing to pull itself together fast? In which case, yes, I think it needs to.

Going persistent when it did was absolutely the wrong time, even if it was felt that it would solve other issues, such as keeping people's interest in the game stoked by being 'live'.

The game is between a rock and a hard place at the present time, where it needs to do a lot of things sharp-ish, or continue to disappoint people who have a whole market of other games infront of them.

Stuff like the ballsed up nature of this latest release doesn't help that score at all. People who aren't happy to begin with aren't going to be happier when stuff like that happens, are they? At best they'll stay neutral.

It might not thrill people who want to see the game succeed, but that's the reality of the situation and as I don't partake in the echo chamber element of this forum, I'm simply saying what is happening at present.

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Posted by the same people all the time over and over and over again.
    Just because it's on the internet and the same people keep on repeating it dosen't make it true.
    It dosen't make it wrong as well though.
    But there was an interview a few days ago with RG stateting the number of active accounts and if the amount he said is true our doomys and gloomys are off by roughly 3000%
    Even if he lied and only 50% is true they are still off by 1500%
    *shrugs*

Yes that's another of your top favourits of late.
    Everybody else is in the echo chamber but you are privy to some kind of exalted truth.
    Maybe you are in the echo chamber? If i would have to guess i would say it's the SotA subreddit.

Really, i don't care much.
    In the end i see no reason to jump on your panic train.
    A lot of things are coming along nicely in my opinion at the moment.
    If you don't like the overall designe desicions, ok. That's your right as a coustomer.
    If you have the feeling the game isn't for you i can only reccomend you to leave. Either to come back and check on it later or for good.

Sean Silverfoot and Bow Vale like this.
  9. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Let me say this once, very simply and very quietly... you don't have the right to be telling anyone on this forum what to do. You obviously disagree with me, but it doesn't buy you the right to say that. Thanks.

Xandra7, Ice Queen and Jivalax Azon like this.
  10. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

You have to wait until release before you judge about low playerbase.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  11. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I take your point, however, once a game is persistent you usually see the core of people who really want to be playing it getting in there and playing. What we see now is still an indicator that should be considered.

12. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

I wonder how you know how many people are playing the game as there are 3 modes. You can see playing people only in multiplayer mode. You could go to Ardoris, Owls Head, Brittany and look at the public Vendors. This is an indicator on how active the playerbase is.

13. Numa

Numa Avatar

Situation post-wipe

[​IMG]

14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That doesn't mean much unless you determine why the population isn't there. How many are simply waiting it out until the game is "officially" declared "released", persistence be damned? I suspect that's a big portion of the player base, who only logged in to place their lot during land rush and haven't been back since then. (It's a good thing there's a long expire time on higher pledge tiers with tax-free deeds! I wouldn't want that lot across from me with all the expert crafting tables to go poof!)

So they don't want to play while things are in a constant state of flux? Then some time with an "easier" game is our reward for actually playing during this period. And I really don't have a problem with a small percentage of the player base being really high level; it sounds to me like we've ended up with a good mix of player levels. Not everybody needs or cares to be adventurer level 90 as fast as possible.

I have a friend who has a very old basic pledge and he still doesn't play because he's playing other stuff. But I have made sure that he knew to log in or make a $5 purchase just to get various things that I know he'd want to have. (like the camera emote stuff from that telethon, since he's big into camera stuff)[/B]

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

On the basis that it has been stated there will be no more wipes and that there has been many real world transactions; any new wipe would be gaming suicide.

If people want to start again they can just delete their character and start again.

Nothing has happened within any of the release that would justify any kind of wipe.

Womby, MrBlight and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  16. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

Not trying to fan any troll flames here (although I am enjoying a fair bit of popcorn LOL)

Can someone point me to online statistics so I can see the number of players online in-game? Using it to help me gauge the market and all.

Thanks!
    Glantor Edge

MrBlight and Jivalax Azon like this.
  17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

This will be entertaining.
    Alas, i am done with work ^^

18. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Wow, it sure is nice and warm by the fire.

First, I support wipes in most games before release. I would have supported it with SotA and still would IF the situation was a bit different. Now I see a situation where a wipe would have some advantages, but player happiness is surely not one of them. We can argue the shoulda coulda woulda's forever. Maybe it would have been better if the Dev's could have said things will be persistent UNTIL actual full launch. But, as has been said, that ship has sailed.

What I find interesting is when Canterbury, a guy who obviously supports the Dev team and game and has since early Rs, says he is concerned about the number of player and game progress you want to burn him at the stake. Witch seems wrong. (hehe) SotA has done some wonderful things. Clearly. It has, in my opinion, a fantastically skilled team with a great reputation. However, compared to some other big crowdfunded games, it is not well funded or supported. Sad really. Compared to games from big publishers, it is not well marketed, funded and is not progressing well. (Of course they have 10 times the budget and resources to produce something that is speculatively twice the game.) Whether the SotA is doing fantastic or dismal depends on the metric you are looking at. I know Canterbury, and I know he uses active players as a metric. It is reasonable. And by that metric, current SotA population in Multiplayer, is under par. To deny that denies the potential to improve. So, rather than telling Canterbury to get bent, we could address the issue. It might be close to why so many on this thread feel that the game which is "great, worth playing, engaging and the best" is not worth starting over from the beginning if there was a wipe. That sounds a great deal like it isn't replayable and isn't the best game ever. I have started characters over , well, about 30 times since R2. I would not die or even leave the game if we had to start again. (No, I don't think that is the way to go, even though I personally wish we could) But if you would leave because there was a wipe and you don't want to grind again, why would a new player want to do that in the first place? How can things be improved now, before "final launch"? (which arguably the Devs are already working on)

Canterbury and mercster like this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There's a visual I didn't need... :p

;)

Budner and MrBlight like this.
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Non the less I really wish you a merry Christmas.
    In the end it's just a game and you shouldn't let it pull you down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.