Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I've tried to log in for the last time.

Discussion in 'Release 37 Feedback Forum' started by Duncan O. McDermott, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duncan O. McDermott

Duncan O. McDermott Avatar

Today is the straw that broke the camels back. Each morning I log in and talk to the Oracle. Each time I do this since this performance release it takes me much more time than ever before any of the releases.
    At 6 AM I just don't have the patience it takes for this slow lumbering game to load.
    I use to get in within 30 - 45 seconds, now it is over 2 minutes many times over 3 minutes. I can't stand just sitting here waiting for this game any longer. So if this was a performance increase I just don't see it. I'll wait a few more patches before I try this again until then I will go play some really optimized games.

2. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

That's a good idea.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  3. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I am split on this patch as it seems the first and second screen loads seem to take a while but after that, most scenes load very quickly. Not sure if there is more optimization to be done but I really hope so.

FrostII likes this.
  4. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

If they don't work further on performance, this game will not be a long term fun for many players. My hardware is way better than the requirements but I still have too long loading screens. Ardoris 21 fps is way too low, overworld and most other instances at 60 fps which is ok, but should be 30-40 fps more.

Oyjord Hansen and Chatele like this.
  5. Technowitch

Technowitch Avatar

I've noticed load time depends heavily on where one's avatar is located. If in Ardoris, I can expect a 2-3 minute log-in. It also takes that long if I attempt to exit my row house basement there. Overland map is the fastest load time. I do consider the Ardoris typical login load time to be unacceptably long.

The other thing is since the addition of the extra Ardoris 'Asian-theme' city deco, my frame rate has dropped about in half. It's almost nauseating trying to move around the city because the more deco-crowded the location, the worse the frame rate hit. Honestly, I think they overdid the new decorations by about 2x in there; I went from just having a nice public fountain in front of my RH to a huge and pointlessly placed guard tower, rows of bushes growing improbably out of the pavement, and two large piles of abandoned crates and pots.

6. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

yes that area you describe is terrible - they need to fix that.

Many of the new features that they placed in the row housing areas are way too big. Another example is an arch awkwardly placed at the end of bridge on a canal corner right next to the end of row lots - that thing looks awkwardly offset, and makes navigating there annoying.

I think the 3d guys need to take another look at the concept painting (seen during load screens) and bring it back down a notch.

7. Gix

Gix Avatar

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't look like someone went on a shopping spree on the Asset store and was looking for excuses to put junk everywhere. Aesthetically, they need to redo the entire dock area.

I like the asian theme, but not at the expense of function.

8. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

It's definitely significantly slower to log in now than before 37. R37 has pretty much been a YUGE failboat far as I'm concerned! The slow log in situation bugs me as well but the combat sync issues with archery and most ranged magic are SO INCREADIBLY BAD right now that everything else for me at least falls to the wayside. The game has basically been unplayable for me since r37 went live. I know SOTA is still technically beta but DAMN things seem to be going backwards now, NOT A GOOD SIGN! Kinda sad really, I hope this mess gets sorted out quickly cause otherwise I think a lot of people may start moving on and cutting their likely significant losses. Here's to hoping!!!

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Basically ive hardly played since the friday that lil patch came in and broke ranged.
    Now i crash and cant play without desyncing. Buddies who bougjt it while on sale , tried for 2 hours n left cause sync issues. Cant grind cause ranged broken.
    This last like 2 weeks ive been off work n clocked almost no hours on sota.
    I got a reply from berek saying that they hopw to have a fix soon but that could mean not till next patch.
    They definitly need to go back a patch and try agian.

10. Technowitch

Technowitch Avatar

Same here. Love the theme. Love many of the elements and the fact there's more growing things around. The city really was too empty and barren before. It needed some green, and the bamboo and cherry trees are lovely.

But several of the areas in R37 Ardoris need a revisit, especially the docks quadrant. In addition to all the cruft directly in front of my rowhouse, between me and the market (where I usually use the boatman), right in front of the bridge there's a huge garden that leaves only a single-file walking space around each side...which more often than not is occupied by an ambling Ardoris guard, which makes moving around the city even more tedious. And like Gadfrey pointed out, some of the decorations really don't fit where they were placed.

As many have noted, it's now difficult to even find things -- people and buildings, not to mention players' vendors -- with all of the visual obstructions, many of which appear to have been randomly placed with not a lot of thought as to the logic behind the placement. I mean, who puts a giant stone-fenced garden directly in front of a canal bridge? Or cram a four story-tall guard tower in the middle of a rowhouse square such that there is zero visibility beyond 10 meters in any direction from that tower?

But most of all, the frame-rate hit is what keeps me out of Ardoris these days.

11. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

OK Here's my constructive take - because I do like many of the features - and I do understand the budgetary reasons for purchasing pre-bought stuff: It seems the missing step in the process is a review from the player-perspective. (or arguably that's what we are providing you right now)

Most of us experience the enviro from the perspective of leaving/entering our homes from the gates/docks/markets. I would suggest even more weight be giveen to the "from the homes" perspective, since those players are the citizens of a scene and have invested in that place. So, the deisgner should walk-through the "citizen" perspective. Playtest from the front of a few houses - especially homes where concentrations of deco have been placed nearby. Try to see the assets from the view of a person living there.

I know the designer can't test from every home, but starting in game from a few front doors may give you a different perspective.

12. Gix

Gix Avatar

@Technowitch There is a advantage to obstructions, though. If carefully placed, they can use this to optimize certain areas as the computer wouldn't have to draw what's behind the obstruction.

The tower surrounded by 4-story high row lots is ridiculous, though.

But that's the thing, though, some of the changes makes no sense from the "living there" perspective either.
    • Why is a residential area near the docks walled off... creating a really narrow alley between the house and... the sea?
    • If I go up the stairs from the canals, why are some of the wooden fences in the way? The gap is narrower than the width of the stairs; people would easily stub their toes.
    • If the fences are there to protect the citizens from falling, why is there no railing on any of the stairs?

13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Ive been playing the game for a year, it only takes me 10 seconds to zone and a little more then that to log in. I think you have serious issues with your PC or your internet connection.

Try reinstalling SOTA. If that does not work, reinstall Windows and pull down all the latest drivers. If that does not work, start running some latency tests on your internet connection.

If it helps, I live 2300 miles from the SOTA servers.

Please understand that you are blaming the game for this issue. In a traditional IT support style, if it were the game then everybody would also be having this issue.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  14. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Somewhat over the top actions as it is discussed that alsmost everyone has issues like that. SotA is just not finished and performance hasn't been polished yet. No ned to uninstall ANYTHING.

Nadomir and Nhili Dragon like this.
  15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

This is a terrible argument (the claim that everyone has the issue), show your proof. I've seen 2-3 posts like this on these forums in the past few weeks as we always do after a new release. I've been in IT for 25 years and this is an A-typical extremely low end computer user response to an issue. Its similar to "I cant get email so the entire internet is down" or "Microsoft word wont open so you need to contact Bill Gates to fix Microsoft Word"... Instead of starting at the most simple solution and working it out. absolutely silly.

You are saying "SOTA has an issue on my computer so the Dev's need to rebuild the entire game" instead of starting with the most simple thing first as I suggested "reinstall SOTA", "Install new hardware drivers" or "rebuild your windows".

More specifically, this issue does get worse with bad hardware... if you are running a 10 year old 5200 RPM IDE laptop drive, yes, you probably have this issue.

Is that the fault of the DEV's?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Numa likes this.
  16. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Oh, you are IT-Pro. Looks like you're not the brightest candle on the birthday cake.
    As I said, the game is still in development and performance isn't polished yet. How come, you assume, Devs have to REBUILD the game? Only thing is, they need to FINISH their construction site. - All's well that ends well -

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Are personal attacks really necessary?

18. Numa

Numa Avatar

I would be very interested if people are seeing the Ardoris lag even in SPO mode. PC/laptop specs would also be useful plus the connection speed. I did notice lag in Ardoris in R37 but haven't been in that "junk" laden area players have been describing. Will try to visit and post my observations.

My laptop rig has 16GB of RAM , a Nvidia GT 860M GPU and an Intel i7-4710HQ CPU with 4 cores @2.5 Ghz. If I hit terrible lag in that spot then it's pretty bad.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Derp. I'll post a youtube video for you tomorrow.

20. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Maybe you shouldn't be too quick to throw such an analysis either, 2112Starman.

I too have been in the IT business for 25+ years, most of it as technician (I rarely bring this up).
    I am experiencing probably exactly the same slowness with R37 as is written about here, and I have seen many other threads or posts about it as well as the days/weeks pass.
    Believe me, after my first login to R37 I felt a strong urge to post about the zoning-slowness this release has brought us.
    I figured there is no need for me to write about it as others more vocal are bound to experience it too.
    Maybe I was wrong in that conclusion.

I have been here since the very beginning btw.

Before R37 I felt the first zoning in (the one right after starting up the client, authenticating, then clicking resume to wherever I was (which has only been Solo Player Kingsport for a couple of releases) was "meh, this is too slow just to enter Kingsport but it's still waay better than Brittany or Ardoris".
    Then at the first start of R37 I thought "oh shoot has the client hung?" - but noo - the first resume now only takes 3 to 4 times longer to bring me into Kingsport than the day before R37 was brought online - from resume to being in Kingsport between 1 minute to 1,5 minutes has passed - I timed it just now to 1 minute 10 seconds.
    If I exit to menu and re-login as another account the time after resume to being in Kingsport is around roughly 2 times longer (around 45 sec timed once and 35 seconds timed just now) than with R36 - better than above but still way to slow.
    (I think no zoning should take more than 15 seconds - anything more than that, given that we have to zone to everywhere, is not acceptable)

I (probably) did nothing worth mentioning to my computer between the last R36 login and first R37 login.
    I see almost no hard drive activity during long parts of the zoning in process, thus I blame something else, like the clientsoftware itself or the server.

My specs (getting a bit old maybe, but still a lot more power than Sota should require):
    Intel extreme motherboard, i7-3770K @3.5GHz, 16 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Nvidia GTX970 4GB, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, screen resolution 1920x1080.
    (Edited with timing test info)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.