Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please change the green/yellow/orange mob colors to be distinct to color blind players

Discussion in 'Release 37 Feedback Forum' started by Widsith [MGT], Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

For those of us who are red/green color blind, the green, yellow and orange name plate colors for mob difficulty are very hard to distinguish.

It'd be nice if those could be adjusted to be more visually distinct. The usual trick for doing so is to alter the overall brightness of each color so the dim/bright scale also carries information. E.g, the red mob color is already somewhat dimmer and is easy to distinguish.

Evadrepus, uhop, nonaware and 4 others like this.
  2. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Sorry, but this ain't funny. I totally agree with Widsmith on this topic. It's really hard to say if a mob is actually green, yellow, orange or red to you with the current colors used when you are colorblind or got a red/green-thingy like me.

3. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

same for me.. i've difficulties to identify these colors .. maybe change to these: Green - Gray - Red

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  4. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

I believe that but I find it ridiculous to expect, that developers of a game should consider all disabilities of individual persons. Did you know, colorblind people can wear glasses http://www.enchroma.com/ to fix that.

5. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

It's actually a quie widespread disability and many games take this into account. So why not here? It's absolute valid to ask for a fix here and it's absolutely not ok to make fun about peole with disabilites of any kind.

6. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

None makes fun about people with disabilities.

7. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

You think this isn't?

8. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Where's the dislike button?

They could use different icons or arrows to distinguish cr instead of color. Blank=green, ^ yellow, ^^ orange, ^^^ red.

ACryInShame likes this.
  9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

How about an option for a /look command. When used against a mob, you get responses like:

1. It looks puny and feebile (its green / grey / way lower adv level)
    2. It looks like it might resist before you defeat it (blue / lower adv level)
    3. It looks like it would challenge you (yellow / similar adv level)
    4. It looks like you might offer some resistance before it defeats you (orange / higher adv level)
    5. It looks like it would laugh as it feasts on your bones (red / much higher adv level).

Not a replacement for a visual cue, but it also reduces dependency on visual queues. Add a macro for /look and it makes it easier to use. Tie in to the fact that currently, SOTA trivializes extrapolating this information by means of sticking mobs of the same level all around each other, and its not that far off from the simplicity of the visual cues. Though, I certainly hope the latter changes, since its kind of awkward that enemies arrange themselves that way, I feel it should be more random, but I digress...

10. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

I'm colorblind also and was having trouble with the red/green legal vs illegal decorations placement in my house. It was causing problems in other aspects of the game as well. I lamented this fact in a thread almost two years ago, and Starr noticed and asked me to write up a bug report on color blindness adaptations. They followed through with the 'X' that covers the cursor when a placement is illegal as well aas the new nameplate color scheme adopted a while back.

This is one of the many templates I was sent at the time to test as a guinea pig. So we do know that they are working on it for us 'poor old color blind folks'.

[​IMG]

They were also considering a slider like the one Blizzard uses on Overwatch. Looks pretty cool. Check it out.

It is very impressive that the developers are taking the time to work on this for such a small percentage of the game population. They've earned some points with me for sure.

Widsith [MGT] likes this.
  11. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Given that gaming market skews male, and color blindness is male sex linked, it's likely not THAT small a fraction. At least judging by the number of guys in our board gaming meetup who have the same problems that I do with colored counters/tiles/cards/meeples, etc.

12. Garfunkel Humperdinck

You're right. 8% of men and 0.5% of women are color blind worldwide. We do have a lot of women playing SOTA though. Averages out to maybe 1 out of every 20 in game are color blind. There's more than just a handful of us with poorly matched outfits on our avatars.:D

Widsith [MGT] likes this.
  13. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Color blind mode should definitely be an option.

ACryInShame likes this.
  14. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Add words over the mob names as an option.

Green = "Kick Me"
    Yellow = "Try Me"
    Orange = "Make My Day"
    Red = "You Better Run!"

ACryInShame and Alley Oop like this.
  15. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

sadly i didnt realize i was color blind along some spectrums until recently. i had an ahhhh... that makes sense moment once i was told and flashed back over all the **** i was given for years about being wrong about colors since primary school.

currently i am plotting my revenge now that i know they were mocking my disability... i kid i kid :p

... looking at you 4th grade teacher mrs robinson for making fun of my drawn and colored xmas tree in front of the class...

ACryInShame likes this.
  16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I have partial color blindness, but fortunately all it means that I can't tell apart certain shades of brown. (When I did the "paint pot" test, it made a figure eight instead of a circle). However, the more constructive thing would be to provide input as to how it needs to change, not "it doesn't work, change it!"

For instance, it might be possible to tweak the luminance of the various colors, or maybe a configuration option that would set a dither pattern or texture on the text. (got to be careful though, text is thin lines so it's harder to see a texture!)

How about icons ranging form a smiley face to a rage face with fangs and demon horns?

17. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

As a Tritan color blind type whom is seeing this disability further degrade as I get older, I am behind this. I think we definitely need iconography as well because there are at least three distinct types of color blindeness and even then each exists on a scale... so there's no one size fits all option. I know at least one person on the Portalarium team is actually color blind though and ive spoken with the team about doing things for this disability in the past. I know its on their radar.

I certainly wish this was addressed sooner rather than later though.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  18. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Perhaps they could put 1-4 skulls next to the nameplate depending on difficulty of the enemy. That would also help us color blind people know when an NPC turns hostile.

Baratan likes this.
  19. uhop

uhop Avatar

I just want to chime in in support of features, which help people with special needs. From my experience by implementing features that help people with disabilities (different type of color blindness, high contrast, better mouse positioning, more keyboard support, and so on), we're helping ourselves: we all are getting older over time, developing problems, forgetting corrective gadgets (like glasses), and sometimes are plain tired, which affects our perceptive abilities. Selecting better color schemes, and making different elements easily distinguishable, makes us all more efficient, and allows us to make informed decisions faster with less fatigue.

PS: The hard truth is that there is no average person, which covers 99% of populations + 1% of "different" people. We are all different. I bet that a thorough medical examination will find that even "healthiest" individuals deviate from the "average" in some significant ways, while they were thinking that all other "healthy" people are "like them".

Technowitch likes this.
  20. Technowitch

Technowitch Avatar

Not entirely sex-linked. I'm one of the approximately 0.5% of women with some degree of color-vision deficiency. Not nearly as bad as a good friend of mine, a fellow who is almost completely color-blind. But my worst area is yellow/green.

And I already wear progressive lens bifocals, so TarrNokk's suggestion isn't helpful. Also, not everyone has $600 to spend on new eyeglasses from that Enchroma company.

I would very much welcome the addition of toggle-able difficulty icons for mobs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.