1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

No Macros or Botting Allowed of any kind

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Going forward we are not going to allow any macros or botting of any kind. This includes attended (player sitting at computer) and unattended (player not sitting at computer). Any violation of this policy will result in a suspension of access to the game. Repeat violations will result in a permanent ban.

Previously we had stated a toleration for attended (player sitting at the computer) macros but this has begun to be abused too much for us to tolerate going forward.

2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Nice, im tired of trying to chat with people doing the same thing for hours and never getting a reply just plain rude .

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  3. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I wanted to clarify this with a few Macro's.

Macro 1: ctrl-v: Pastes a copied string of text into my chat window.
    Macro 2: crtl-1: Pastes a saved string of text into my chat window.
    Macro 3: ctrl-1: stacks glyphs 1 & 8
    Macro 4: crtl-1: stacks glyphs 1&8, 2&9
    Macro 5: ctrl-1: stacks all glyphs in hotbar
    Macro 6: ctrl-1: unequips armor, equips dancing outfit & coconuts.

Perhaps Macro's are referring to something else, I used Macro's in zmud back in the day and enjoyed not mashing as many buttons for certain repetitive commands. Instead of "cast Kindred Strength Andernut, cast Sagacity Andernut, cast fly Andernut, etc. etc." I could instead type buffAndernut once in awhile :)

For the record I've only used Macro 1 (I tried to do Macro 5 once and failed).

Rosemourne and Net like this.
  4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Sounds like a macro.

It would be cool if the ui allowed us to make simple game approved macros.

mizztery, Chatele, Spoon and 5 others like this.
  5. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

If this is the case then a limited macro ability needs to be implemented. I use macros for common emotes and speech. I use macros to relieve repetitive actions like harvesting water. I'm not trying to cheat, I'm trying to save my already damaged wrists.
    [ Edit]
    And relieve others of my horrid typing.
    Aka Marblemouth Wumple

6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Definently need UI improvments, but macroing is bad. If there is a way to cheat via macroing people will do it. The attended vrs the unattended argument muddys the water because now you have to prove that people are or are not present.

iansmellios likes this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Wait a sec, I need clarification! So I have a logitech mouse with tons of buttons. I program one button to cast my 4 shields all the time before I farm. Since these spells are seriously flawed and only give me the buff for 1 to 2 minutes, when I am out farming, I have to cast them CONSTANTLY. So with my mouse, I can run around farming easier with significantly less clicks which saves me significant wrist strain.

Are you saying this is illegal now since its seems like a very minor "script"

If you say yes, we are going to have some serious issues. Specifically in buff duration and my need to not have carpel tunnel.

8. Datendrache2

Datendrache2 Avatar

Staring at a pile of 40K ore I need to smelt that was acquired without use of macros, the idea of sitting at a table and doing thousands of recipe, craft, takes really isn't very appealing or fun. What's worse is that this activity was built with coal and other consumables to make macroing valid without ruining the game economy. I suppose that's the price I'll need to pay now, I feel sorry for the guys that come later.

[Additional]

I don't blame a cranky Darkstarr, someone must have really went all out to take advantage of the game and Portalarium.

9. Boedy Arc

Boedy Arc Avatar

i like it very much....i wrote some times on berek and so on.... think a lot peoples doing working with scripting/macro....i HATE it because it make my work worthless...

also sometimes i hear it in teamspeack one pc will smelt bulk ore....other pc they play normal... also water harvest... one was told after 1. week he alrdy got 20.000 water in his chest....and im asking me why i press all few sec. E button 1h long....

GREAT to hear it will completly end in a bann....:)

Chatele, Mata, GraveDncer and 4 others like this.
  10. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Perhaps a sanctioned internal macro section similar to the UO client? like an easier way to do a macro with text 'Greetings' /bow or whatever.

But yeah, the scripting nonsense to hold the CP's was bs.

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Aye, the reason why it never should have been allowed in the begining.

There is a valid argument though for minimizing repedative clicks/acttions. Ive no issue with simple game approved macro sets. But being able to script your own is a recipe to promote cheating. I know people who macro daily and I know most the time they are afk, Ive seen people farming cps afk.

This stuff is bad for the longevity of the game.

12. Boedy Arc

Boedy Arc Avatar

thats is....you love crafting a lot you will take this time (like me) and you know what your item have a worth.....and other do with macro you feel bad...because i sit invest a lot time and you do it only with macro....

Net likes this.
  13. Crumpets

Crumpets Avatar

I have sympathy for those who are concerned about wrist strain/carpel symptoms (a problem I also contend with) but I think it is going to open a huge can of worms if there is an expectation that the developers have to consider each individual case because every person thinks their own use of macros should be the exception because of why they feel they need to use macros. It certainly seems reasonable to ask them to look at buff duration if that is your concern. I know because I own a greenhouse with 50 planting spots I would like them to consider some rework of watering other than drawing 100 water buckets one at a time. At the same time I despise botting and use of macros to gain unfair advantage over others in games and have left several MMOs where it was blatant and not addressed. I am willing to not have macros at this time if it was the only way to get on top of what can be a game breaking problem.

14. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

Maybe we woke up on April 1st?

Seriously, first do away with the boring tedious repeating options.

Cypher Black

15. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

As somebody with 900 plantable spots on his farm, water harvesting needs to be reworked if attended macroing is no longer allowed. Otherwise, I'll need to take up fishing. ;)

mizztery, zreamo, Kutas and 6 others like this.
  16. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I agree with DarkStarr to 100%.

Macroing with 3rd party tools or with any other method has to stop.
    There are indeed quite a few ways to abuse it 24/7....

Mata, arygon2 and Gaelis like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The mention of your plantation kind of make this announcement the macro emancipation proclamation. :)

Also, I'm totally in favor of a zero tolerance policy for macros, bots, and bug exploitation (see other thread).

Chatele, Stundorn, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  18. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

Sounds like a lot of people took advantage of the dev holiday break? Tsk Tsk...

Govenor Ruin likes this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

No people have been taking advantage since r32 and r33 when attended macroing was approved.

The good news is the player base is very low and even lower the amount of people using scripting macros.

Stundorn and Datendrache2 like this.
  20. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

And I bought a Razor? wha!??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.