Food buffs, only work while out of combat?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by brhanson2, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

If we end up getting something that makes the health OR focus regen faster while in-combat, it would save cooking IMO. Even if the regen is .5 per second, I would likely be in. I'd cook it, I'd eat it, and I'd sell it. As it stands, I don't have a lot of interest. I know the game is still being developed, I just question some of the decisions being made. I still have a lot of hope for the game, in general.

2. Gix

Gix Avatar

While I agree with pretty much everything you've said, I have to point out that you can't expect people to have fun in a game when the regen doesn't match what you're doing in combat. ie: if resource regeneration is super low, don't design your combat/encounters in a way that encourages spamming abilities.

Adjustments needs to be made on all fronts; even if we're only considering the impact of food.

What are you talking about? The fact that something HITS you is the direct result of COMBAT. Don't want to be in combat? Don't get attacked!

Except that would be yet another example of bad design as it would overlap with potions... and, like potions, it would have to be in the form of a glyph otherwise, it would create another inconsistency and, thus, be bad design.

I can see food having some effects in-combat in such a way that it could compliment potions (like increasing the effects of potions and/or other abilities), but I believe eating food should remain an out-of-combat action. Increasing the value of being prepared.

Fister Magee likes this.
  3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Sure, food could be limited to OUT of combat to use it, but there should be no reason why it doesn't affect you while IN combat. That would separate it from potions, which should be quaffable IN combat.

Potions are quick, immediate effects while food is something that you get over time. There is still a separate enough use case that I think both should be viable.

Nikko and Gix like this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I guess he means auto sheath by bending attacked. Annoys me too!
    If i get hit, I don't want to switch for combat bar instantly.

Nikko likes this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm well aware of this as we've had this argument before him and I. He (and most likely you as well) wants to use the skills on his non-combat bar for actual combat situations instead of actually putting those skills in his deck.

There's a reason why the game is limiting you to 10 skills slots (locked & shuffling) and you're trying to circumvent it to get an extra 10.

You shouldn't be annoyed, though. I'll be the first to cry foul as that's the result of bad design. I'd argue that what needs to change is how the game allows you to put combat buffs in the non-combat bar... because it shouldn't allow you to do that in the first place.

6. Borg

Borg Avatar

Just to clarify things , when I say IN COMBAT, Im talking about food effect, of course eating while in combat is not allowed.
    About being prepared, eating food is part of being prepared, right?, so I see no problem with some special food giving combat hp/focus regen.
    You need to consume food to improve your out of combat regeneration rates. And of course you are not force to, but it helps, specially for someone not using healing spells.
    So you turn into out of combat mode to get a benefit, an extra regeneration buff. Maybe we should remove non combat bar????

Nikko likes this.
  7. Gix

Gix Avatar

That's certainly a clearer way of doing things. However, doing so then makes it impractical to use out of combat actions... like maps and (hopefully) food and switching out equipment.

I think being able to put adventurer glyphs in the non-combat bar is a mistake. The question would be "why wouldn't you be able to do certain things just because you're out of combat?" and that's because the designers dropped the ball.

A potential fix:
    If the non-combat bar was scaled down in size (screen space), interpreted as a "utility bar" (changing the name just for clarity's sake) and was available at all times, then it would work a lot better... as it clearly communicates what you can and can't do in combat or whatever.

But that would mean that eating food would then be possible in-combat... and we'd have to change how long it takes for a player to consume the food. Maybe have food that takes longer to eat than others? Cookies vs Porkchops?

8. Borg

Borg Avatar

Tbh what adventurer glyphs do we have apart from Light?????? the rest of glyphs are pure combat glyphs....
    They just decided that some combat glyphs can be used in the adventurer deck for whatever reason that I just cant understand.
    So yea we are forced to use a 10 slot deck just because we can train the whole skill system so there has to be a limit to how many skills we can access at a given time.
    We have only one character per account for the same reason, we can train all skills, so there is no need to have more than one character.
    They just killed rpg to create god-avatars that can access to everything, at the end the only thing different is how we use the deck, they reduced everything to deck managing.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I would argue that Dash, Taming, and Healing qualify as useful in non-combat.

Fister Magee likes this.
  10. Gix

Gix Avatar

@Borg Designing your game to use a limited amount of slots (ie: 10) does a few important things:
    1. Forces players to make decisions. That's always a good thing in games.
    2. It levels the playing field between low level and high level players.
    3. An extension to #2: the low level players don't have to worry about #1 while the high level players do. So it's easier to get into (far more effective than any tutorial), harder and more interesting to master.

Including Stealth and Pickpocket.

Seriously, their entire skill system is messy and full of edge cases.

Fister Magee likes this.
  11. Borg

Borg Avatar

Im not saying there has not to be limits, every single game has limits, but at the end what do we have here?
    A meta-avatar, and ofc down the road more effective decks will prevail upon character templates, we should just be worried about which skills we select and how they work and not how works the deck.

12. Gix

Gix Avatar

I was talking about the benefits of limiting slots, not limits in general.

A completely different conversation.

13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Dash.. wish ud tell that to super sprinting combat gankers.
    Taming is actually better in combat deck.

Getting hit should either not put u in combat.. or it should auto pull ure weapon. Not leave u in combat mode yet no weapon drawn. Worst of both options.

But yea..

Back on topic. Food only working out of combat is stupid.
    And guildy just pointed out the loading screen tip. : Be sure to eat food before entering combat!!
    Lol..

14. Gix

Gix Avatar

Yeah I understand why it works the way it does but it's still awkward and should be rectified.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.