A question about music

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mercster, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercster

mercster Avatar

I have a couple of questions about music in the game.

I use Maestro software to convert midi songs to abc. It seems abc files made this way have a limit to how high/low a note can be; if a note is too high, it plays the same note an octave (or something?) lower. I know LOTRO had a limited range, does SOTA have the same limit? Is there any way to avoid this? Sorry I don't know much about music, I can't find words to explain what I'm talking about.

Also, does SOTA support MML as well or just ABC?

2. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

Don't know for certain, but I did read that there is an octave limit in sota

mercster likes this.
  3. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

mercster likes this.
  4. mercster

mercster Avatar

I read that @Soylent Green, I see nothing about music. MML is an option in the original library but may not be an option for the client. Do you have any information that could help me?

EDIT: Oh the instructions themselves...reading now, sorry.

Soylent Green likes this.
  5. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

While we are on this subject, can someone tell me where to store my ABC and MML files these days?

6. mercster

mercster Avatar

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Sheet Music

7. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

MML is absolutely an option. I know Eniko who wrote the system personally, and she made it for both ABC and MML files - and always preferred MML over ABC files.

mercster likes this.
  8. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

Hah. I did same when darkstarr first mentioned how it made him sad no one read the linked instructions. I never really noticed it. Lots of good stuff in it though.

Place custom musical files into the same Sheet Music folder mentioned above, equip a musical instrument, and type “/play <songname>” into your chat window (replacing <songname> with the name of your custom music file) to play custom music in the game. All custom music files must be in the .mml or .abc file format

mercster likes this.
  9. mercster

mercster Avatar

Hah, I know of that document well, I used to point newbies to it all the time! I should take my own advice :p Good to see MML is supported...now to find some good software for MIDI -> MML. ABC files seem to have a limited range of notes, which I can't figure out, I'll try MML. Thanks for the help!

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Any good source for MML titles ?

11. mercster

mercster Avatar

Apparently ArcheAge game used MML, so music files for that game would work. I downloaded a program called 3MLE that can convert midi to mml, but at first glance it isn't as simple as using Maestro to convert to ABC. We shall see.

Stundorn likes this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The lute, harp, organ, and flutes are bugged right now and are not playing all notes correctly, and in those cases are limited to either middle C and up or 1 octave under middle C and up. If they fix them and return them to how they have been in the past, they have a wider pitch range than Maestro allows you to convert to.

A link to the bug report: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...nnot-play-any-note-lower-than-middle-c.75862/

Stundorn and scroda like this.
  13. mercster

mercster Avatar

Very good very good...is there a more sophisticated tool that doesn't have Maestro's limitations in this regard?

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

There might be others out there aside from maestro and starbound convert, but i use starbound converter. It has a very simple interface and doesnt have the pitch limitation maestro has, but it also doesnt add volume variations to your song automatically like maestro does and it requires you to buy the starbound game before you use it

15. mercster

mercster Avatar

It turns out, Starboard Composer just checks to see if a couple of files exist and runs fine. I'll be looking at this, thank you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.