You forgot a important main feature for SotA, please add this asap.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by irs009, Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irs009

irs009 Avatar

First let me say sorry for my terrible English, but i try.

The reason why i am here is because i played Ultima Online and i really loved it.
    So far Shroud of the Avatar is doing very well, but there is one main mechanic i am missing pretty much.

When you die, why you don’t leave your corpse exact where you died?
    I remember when this happens in Ultima Online it was sometimes a challenge to get back to your corpse and get your stuff back. Now and then I had to go back to the bank or my house and grab a carefully arranged backpack with replacement gear and some magic ingredients to be able to get my corpse back. Well sometimes you needed some friends to help and sometimes my corpse was already looted by other players. But hey i looted alot of other players corpses who died in a dark cave by myself, so its cool.
    I just loved the game mechanic of possibility risk to loosing my gear.
    More risk more fun!
    For me there is no reason to make SotA synthetic easy, because most WoW type players don’t play SotA anyway.
    If you don’t want it to hard, start this mechanic at least for higher level players and/or in dungeons at level 2 or deeper.
    What other peoples think about this?

Let me tell you one of my best experience in Ultima Online:
    I was waiting invisible near a little house close to graveyard for the owner to open the door.
    Once he come and opened the door i run into his house and attacked him inside. It was a well balanced fight, but I was a little bit in advantage because of the surprise. I was barely able to kill him. My joy didn’t last to long because he poisoned me, no mana left and out of heal potions, so I died 10 seconds later inside his house. Now I have two options:
    1. Leave my corpse as a ghost and look for a cleric
    2. Instant resurrect at my corpse with a huge random skill penalty.
    Well I decided to take the penalty because I want to loot some treasure in his house.
    After that I was getting greedy, to greedy and take to long time so the owner came back to his house. After I was overburden because of my greed and the huge skill penalty from the instant resurrect he killed me easy.
    It tooke me 3 days to compensate the penalty.
    From now on I was much more carefully.

Anyway you toke so many cool features from good old Ultima Online, but this awesome feature you hopefully just forgot to take with you.
    Or is it just me who loved this game feature?

EDDYCORP, Denzel, Grimbone and 5 others like this.
  2. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

As nice as those features may be... it's nothing that needs to be added "asap". There is a lot of way much important stuff to do right now.

3. irs009

irs009 Avatar

You are right no need to add this asap.
    But add this feature at least when SoTa is going finished.

4. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Sorry to say that: SotA has nothing to do with UO. It's a complete different game. The feature of leaving the corpse to claim back your goods is nice, but you will not find anyone here who supports that, cause almost everyone don't like to leave his comfort zone.

5. irs009

irs009 Avatar

To say it has nothing to do with Ultima Online is just not true.
    So many thinks are pretty similar to UO, don’t get me wrong I like it.
    The Skill System is almost exact the same like in UO.
    Except of bloodmoss all ingredient are exact the same like in UO.
    And that Richard Garriott is involved speaks for itself....

To have a comfort zone like this might be nice for peoples, but I cant believe that no one is missing the feature from UO.
    U wont loose Items you have to raid for months with 50 guild mates like in other mmos :)
    Anyway, maybe its just me who would appreciate a feature like this but i want to say that.

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

One reason why this can't be done is because of the scene instance system. As I understand it, UO is one big world, per server. There is only one version of any particular location to keep track of. So you can leave an item lying around anywhere and there's one one version of that location to keep track of. When everybody leaves an adventuring scene, it's completely offline. There is currently no support for storing stuff in a scene outside of player lots and POT deco.

The version of the scene with your corpse might even be inaccessible to anybody else to help you other than by joining a party with you.

I'll take having a single un-sharded server over having to go back for your stuff any day. And I've played a pre-UO text MMO in the early '90s where you had to go back for your stuff (rushing to beat the automatic junk cleanup!), it was a total pain in the ass then, and it would still be a pain in the ass now.

Duke Gréagóir, Mac2 and Stundorn like this.
  7. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

Some people just don't have time to go chasing down their bodies...we are adults with lives, not children that have time to do whatever..

I like the idea of chasing my body down, that's why I still play UO from time to time

Stundorn and Elwyn like this.
  8. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

@Elwyn maybe they cannot store stuff, but information of where you died is stored for some time across all instances. Just look at the avatar skeletons in serpent's spine while you are in solo or friends mode in your own instance.
    That mechanic is there for some reason either abandoned or yet to be utilized I might assume.

Denzel likes this.
  9. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

This is called a corpse run.

I wouldn't mind having the 'choice' to do a corpse run... if it was because I wanted to resurrect my corpse and get back 90% of my lost xp.

I do not like the idea of 'having' to do a corpse run because if I don't, or am unable to, I'll lose my gear.

Matt Harris and Elwyn like this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Elwyn likes this.
  11. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Howdy irs009! Welcome to SotA's forums!

Wow! Your memories of old UO are newer than my memories! There wasn't any self rez back when I played. If you didn't have a friend that could rez you nearby, then it was always a mad dash to find a wandering healer or a shrine before your body went to bones & rotted away. I soooo loved that orc spawn spot next to my doorstep! :p

I've been away for a few months, so am not up on the latest changes, but there is a version of corpse looting if you PvP. You'll have to talk to some of our PvPers to get the details.
    As far as looting someone's house, I'm not sure if it is a given in a PvP POT (Player Owned Town), you might wish to ask Baron Drocis of Rats Nest about it, but I'm pretty sure you can loot anywhere if someone has incorrectly set up their lot and house permissions. Although this is a good way to get yourself banned from the POT you looted in.
    If you have a looting itch that has to get scratched and you don't want your name to become a swear word, there are many items you can loot from NPC buildings. Just remember that the Oracle frowns on it and she has spies everywhere. I've heard that cats & dogs now report to her too!

Berek and Elwyn like this.
  12. eli

eli Avatar

I would love a new felucca, or even siege perilous if we are a bother to people who love their stuff. I believe the best economy in uo existed when you needed 4-5 sets of armor per week.

Denzel likes this.
  13. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

14. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

...before blessing deeds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.