The 40 meter xp sharing change.... really?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khival Xeromus, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgoth redbeard

Morgoth redbeard Avatar

i did think the point of a hunting party was to share xp if hafe the grop dont get nothing they better of hunting alone no?

2. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

This is the levelling system which is used in Age of Conan. It's almost impossible there to powerlevel noob-players as the level difference between players must be -7 to receive XP in a group which is set by the leader of the group. So if the former of a group is 80, the member with lvl 72 will not receive any XP.

Numa likes this.
  3. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

I suspect this has been suggested but:

Why wouldn't we have a system where the players percentage of damage done to the NPC monster determines how the xp is distributed to them?
    And to solve for healers that do much less damage, they get some xp based on total healing

Sure I know this will mean some uneven xp distribution for some players (tank vs support type for eg), but I really think the power leveling thing should be prevented.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    MrBlight likes this.
  4. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Doesn't really stop the power-leveling while penalizing large amounts of normal players. They will still power-level it would just take longer or have to be slightly altered. We should not be penalized for what a small amount of players are doing. There are adjustments like the 40m which has already been done that are reasonable. The system is set up for training lower level players with the GMs it would make no sense for Port. to reverse that entire system. It just doesn't make sense.

5. Nyxi

Nyxi Avatar

The problem with this for healers is as follows:

a. Healer A is in a group with DPS focused specs (high damage, little mitigation). The mobs die faster, but lots of healing needed, so healer gets some XP, but as the mob dies too fast, he doesnt get to do much healing.
    b. Same healer joins a group of evenly balanced players, mob dies, but he gets off a decent amount of healing and gets decent xp share.
    c. Healer joins a group with tank specs, or defensive specs, whilst the mob takes a long time to die, the players dont need much healing as they arent taking a lot of damage, so the healer again gets poor xp share.
    d. All players also have their own heals, which take away from the healers xp pool.

Other options would be:
    1. Everyone gets XP, provided they do 10% damage, healing or damage taken.
    2. Improve mobs AI, so that if someone is lower adv level, they always attack them when not taunted. If they are significantly lower, they cannot be taunted off the lower level player.
    3. Only gain XP if within a range of the leaders Adv Level.
    4. Only gain small XP fighting Green enemies, good xp fighting orange, and nil too small fighting red enemies.

At the end of the day, people will always find a way to powerlevel, maybe just let it happen?!

6. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

To solve the low xp distribution for healers and other support types, you can use a bonus multiplier for healing/buffing/debuffing to calculate a players contribution to a fight. There can be a baseline experience amount allotted for just being there(within 40 meters of another party member), then additional exp can be given based on participation. As @Nyxi pointed out, there can be a minimum amount of participation needed to get 'participation experience.' There can still be an experience bonus based on whether a player is partied and how many players are in the party.

I don't like the idea of experience being contigent upon your level. Some players are more effective than others and to limit their experience gains because they aren't high enough in level makes no sense. Give them experience based on their performance.

7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

The 40-meter rule requires that you be at least 40-meters from another member of your party, not from the mob.

8. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

[​IMG]

9. wardgom

wardgom Avatar

I believe this already happens, the game divides xp up in portions based on the relative level of each character. Lower-level characters get proportionally less xp. It does seem to me to be working this way. In any case, does this not cover the issue of giving less xp to a player that could not have killed a mob alone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.