Housing Frustration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rennik, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

Okay... I've been a backer since early on, but have only been actually playing recently (didn't have a computer at the time that could run SotA)... but from I've been able to see, the whole housing thing is screwy.

There are limited lots in the established cities/towns, and those have been gobbled up for a long time, from what I gather. But the ability for a player to own multiple lots means that those with a large amount of disposable income can buy a bagful of property deeds, then re-sell them at premium prices. This leaves the little guys like me with a reasonably priced house deed and no property to place it on without spending a small fortune.

There is also the possibility of trying to find space in a Player-owned Town, but thus far every PoT that I have visited is a veritable ghost town. Perhaps this will change in the far-flung future... but I'd much rather live in an active community rather than one where nobody ever seems to be home except the NPC vendors (who are apparently all clones).

Any of you that have been in Novia for a long time have any advice or suggestions? As I said, I'm still fairly new to this world, but am open to any advice. Thank you!

Valeric, Stundorn, Arc and 6 others like this.
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

While there are several opportunist who grabbed lands that speculated to be "hot zones". However, not many of them have been able to sell at the profitable rate since there are not enough demand and people who are willing to pay just for a lot spot unless it's super prime like a lot by the town entrance. The lot deeds and house deeds on the other hands are actually more affordable if you buy from other players on the market place compare to buying directly from the add-on store. Some POTs even offer housing to new players for free or at minimal fees if the governors have enough resource and would like to invest in getting decent folks to join their towns.

To see the status on what NPC/PRT towns are still having lot available, just check on Google doc on this post https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/r37-land-rush-status.75743/. While it may not be up to date, but it will give you some rough idea on which town you should travel to check the lot availability out.

There are several POTs that are well decorated and have relatively active residence. Check out: Pax Lair, Dawn's Keep, Wizard's Rest, Bladewyke, Lux Sanctuary. I'm sure there are more, just ask around on Discord or let other forum users chime in.

The key is don't lose hope. The top priority should be finding your niche and a group of people who have similar play style and game time. Once you get that going, housing can be a long term goal you can work on to keep you busy. I have seen people who started from nothing, then get a row lot, then a few village lots, then traded up to town lot before. I also met those who just spent $550 for a tax-free village lot as a long term investment (they are in this game for a long shot). Some others are still OK living without a personal-owned home and just use a guild house or borrow container chests from friends. They're still doing ok.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  3. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Bom, Numa, Leelu and 2 others like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Feel free to visit Dawn's Keep... More information on the town and the extent that it's currently occupied is available in the thread linked through my signature. You're also welcome to visit in person... The town is very easy to locate immediately south of Brittany between the Shamino and Eylo rivers.

If after your review, you feel that Dawn's Keep might be a good fit for you, please contact me via a private conversation to discuss your prospective residency.

Bom, Rennik, Numa and 4 others like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Rennik, yes it can seem overwealming and difficult when first getting started in a new game. I am Majoria in the game and Wizards Rest is a lovely town in Hidden Vale. While we are not a guild town, our residents have great access to amenities the town offers and can be seen out and about. I am not sure exactly what you are looking for but feel free to friend Majoria in the game. People don't always hang out in town but can be seen wandering in and out at times. ;) I would be happy to help if I can.

6. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Not all of us POT's are... :p There are a few that are quite well developed. Im sure we could reccomend some if you want to give them a shot. There are also PRT's which have lots readily available...

7. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Check out Bastion's Point! We are right next to Solace bridge and very active. It's a great POT i found over a year ago and never looked back. The owners are awesome the layout is fun.

8. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Dreamo has, hands down, one of the most awesome avatars i have seen in a while....

9. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

As has been stated there are a number of PoT's that are active and welcoming of new settlers. Quite a few have been named and there are others also where getting a lot is not a problem.

More than willing to help you if needed.

Sean
    PaxLair Town Manager

PhaRxMer, Bom, Rennik and 3 others like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There are plenty of lots in non-POTs. Parrot's Roost is nearly empty!

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Rennik

Like they are saying above there are plenty of places left.

Just let us know how large your deed is and where approximately in Novia you wish to live and we will be able to help you quite easily.
    And if you are uncomfertable with POTs for some reason, then there are plenty of PRTs that have spots left.

Also I was up in Drachvald recently, and both Spite and Graff Island have plenty of Row and Village lots in good locations left. (Due to Vauban pass).

12. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Larawyn Skjaldmaer Avatar

Just toss me any of the viking/norse role-players .... *smiles and waves to @Rennik *

13. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

hmmm... if you're looking for a POT that is a stone throw away from Kingsport then check out Beregost... you can request a lot placement from the governor or @Kinkara

also, last time I checked there are still a few available row houses in Bladewyke and it's really close to Etceter.... ask the Governor @Brass Knuckles

14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Bladwyke has a open policy no need to ask if u see a lot u like u can have it.

Pot will be moving closer to etceter and linked there in r38.

15. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

there are also plenty of NPC/story-town lots left.

16. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

I agree, I just picked up the last water village lot in Xenos last week. Just gotta look around. Probably wont find anything in Brittany or owls head, but there is stuff out there. Go town to town and check with the crier.

Bom, Roycestein Kaelstrom and Barugon like this.
  17. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

I agree that there are still lots out there. Example: I just recently check with the town crier in Estgard. There were 5 land town sized lots 1 city land lot and at least 1 water town lot and 1 city water lot. Probably some village lots, too, but I cant verify on village.

UPDATE: Estgard (an NPC town) has 68 open lots in total. Those range from Row all the way up to Keep, Castle and even a Water Castle. Water and Land based lots are available in all but Keep and Row size (Row doesn't exist as a water lot).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  18. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

There are a lot of very good POT spots if foot traffic to vendor isn't a top priority. Some PRT have very convenient layouts also.

19. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

You should certainly stay away from POTs if you have feelings in that direction. Of course POT owners will try and entice you to sign up -- it's in their best interests, not yours -- but if the vibe doesn't suit you, don't do it.

To address another concern in the OP, you will find NPC towns with space but there's a reason why that is. My best advice? Walk around the world a bit. See if it's one you even want to spend a lot of money to have housing in.

This is the kind of advice few people will give you, but as it costs absolutely nothing to take your time, walk around, and just think about what you're doing before you take the plunge, you'll see it's simply common sense. Good luck.

Bom, Ice Queen, Rennik and 2 others like this.
  20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Covered Long ago and in many threads the housing rush was a farce. It was well established that the "Prime" properties would be taken and taken by players looking not to play but to profit.

Ignored and shrugged off by developers.

Raffle was also pointed out to benefit the rich making them richer - shrugged off again and now only one winning type of winner is allowed but damage has long been done.

Look here and post or reply to groups that peak your interest.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/guild-town-hall.37/

I myself have a POT north up the shore from Britany and have 9k square feet of land not placed / claimed.

My POT has overland access and is linked to the Falling Waters Fortress, an Order of the Drunker Elders town, they are working to become more and more robust as a market place but there are almost always one or two players from the guild on.

Msg me or look for me in game on Grumpie Weinie if you want to look around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.