Housing Frustration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rennik, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

Just to put my two cents in re: POTS - the benefits go two ways. Governors in POTS benefit from more people living there because that turns a POT into a real community. SOTA is all about living, vibrant player communities. The advantage of POTS over NPC /PRT towns is that the owner/governor can custom tailor the environment and town layout to better fit the community that springs up. It's a symbiotic & mutually beneficial relationship.

Moreover, it is common to see public crafting stations with expert/benefactor crafting tables made available. Public gardens, libraries - the list goes on and on as far as the imagination and creativity will allow. I live in Breaker's Landing where the small community living there made all these happen within the confines of a hamlet. So this input is from experience and not based on theorycrafting.

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I just want to say that i'm sad about it that there are so less real immersing Roleplay PoT with a theme and setting.
    There are many casual RP (S)PoT's and people who are willing to have RP but do not promote it or want to setup a strictly themed and set Environment like Ironhall does or trys to establish.
    Nothing against casual RP and to have options, nothing against PoT Owners who don't want to specialize, because of being open for a wider group of people.
    I love what @Baene Thorrstad and @Larawyn Skjaldmaer and friends in Ironhall do, but of course because i am a viking with danish roots :D

Thisted Bay
    http://forum.dreiradler.org/download/file.php?id=12278&mode=view

3. 3devious

3devious Avatar

The owner of Rift's End, @kv0w bought it for MGT. I think it was altruistic because he isn't a land baron or anything and last I heard guild membership isn't a requirement (it might be now that we have more people coming by. Some of us jumped on the land rush (even idiots like me that didn't understand what a POT was) to be near someone they wanted to live by.

The whole premise of our guild is somewhat altruistic as our goal was similar to be unofficial hospitalers. It is even better now as travelers are meant to be free we don't have a restrictive structure. If any of us are helping you out it is because we want to it's not our job. :)
    On the flip side if any cannibals are eating you it is because you are tasty!

4. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

While it's not roleplaying, one of the reasons I like POTs and the one I found in particular. Is that they can restrict what type of buildings and decorations are allowed. Owl's head makes me want to vomit every time I see some of the just silly "homes" some people have. It actually feels more immersive living in a POT, a good well populated one at least.

5. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

If someone would ask me what is the strongest feature of SotA compared to other MMO it would be this. POT!
    If you like a Game that gives you the option to build a Town , Player Housing, Decoration and focuses on Tools to help you create Events, Parties, Theater , Tournaments with your own creativity - then that is what other MMO can´t compete with. BDO , The Elder Scrolls etc. do have Housing etc. but not this flexibility and tools for Community Creativity.

I think Star Wars Galaxy Online once i would regard comparable and of course still and ongoing Second Life.

The problem for me had been always that this strongest Feature into what this Game is focusing and turning more and more was only one "Part" of the Kickstarter Vision. ( was it even in the Kickstarter Vision?).

It is save to say from my point of understanding that this is "SotA" how it should position itself in the future. And i think they should build even more on POT and this System and officially announce that this will be the main focus and officially anounce that they will drop other areas of focus for this.

I think they should create more Tools for Communities like Pax Lair that no other Game ever had and make SotA the must go Game for Game Communities who are looking for a place to have creative freedom in a Medieval Setting.
    And give it a home for all types of the Communities.

Create topic POT Packages and Tools for - Viking, Elf, Gothic, Renaissance , Steampunk
    they have themed Viking Clothing , Weapons, Swords, Decoration, Houses and more for Communities and even with the correct Instruments and Music for them.

Create besides Theaters - Packages directly for special Events - Horse Raise Package, Knight Tournament Package, Marriage Package consisting of Church and Decoration, Funeral Package for POT , Mud Fight Package, Orgy Package with sexy Outfits crazy looking beds and toys... you know... all what a Community and a POT desires . :)

I regard all other features , exsecially the Solo driven Part and lets say the World itself with its Instanced set up and its inconsistancy in regards to NPC INstances and Player World as to weak to compete with other Games that pure Focus on those Features. But the others can´t compete with the POT and Community driven Tools of SotA.

If that is your taste - then i regard SotA a good place. Considering you are fine with the Businessmodel and Price. But there are many who are already.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  6. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Well with the recent changes to NPC towns on the Perennial coast we realized Bastion's Point should be an Asian themed town! I got a Shogun village house just for the occasion... and to appease our mighty neighbors who may wish to convert us by force... are we sure it's the city of love?

7. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

I really appreciate all the suggestions and input... even those opinions that aren't popular. Since "opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one, and sometimes they stink". :D I've learned a lot from following many of the links in this thread, and will continue to explore and try to find a good place to drop my house. By the way, for those that asked, my house deed is for a Viking 2-Story Village Home with Dual Balconies, so I'm looking for a village sized plot.

In my original post, I said many player-owned towns were like ghost towns... but I wasn't referring to no homes being there, it was a lack of people actually being present. But, giving it more thought, why would people just hang out at home in a game? For the occasional crafting or decorating stint, sure... but people are out gathering, exploring, adventuring, having fun. That's ultimately why we're all here! Driving through a residential area, how many of those homes currently have someone in them all the time? :p

But thank you again to all those that have posted here and messaged me with ideas and suggestions. Right now, I'm still hanging out and banking in Soltown (l'm still kinda a noob), but I'll get up towards Brittany and such and do a bit more exploring. Feel free to friend me or message me in-game, can never have too many friends!

Safe Journey!
    Rennik Brightarrow, Ranger and Tailor

8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

someone should post a pic of what npc towns look like on the over head. I recently had the same gripe, but you have to understand most towns are not that busy unless something is going on. Look for things going on in your player events book, thats a good way to check out other towns to see how busy they are.

9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

check kingswood its a decent spot

10. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

As much as I love waking up at 4am and leveling my click skill, I think a lot of the speculation could be mitigated by doing a lottery on expiring properties.. like if you click the sign with under 24 hours left you have an equal chance for your claim to be chosen.

11. The Banker

The Banker Avatar

Save up your cash, buy one of the speculators' lots in a major city.

Yes it's a ripoff but worth it for players and the game in the long run.

Stundorn likes this.
  12. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

You could even get a lot in one of the more popular NPC towns if you're diligent. Many lot claims are expiring lately because so many people that claimed land during the recent lot selection process have stopped logging in.

If you double click on the stones in front of village lots in spots you like, it will tell you when the claim expires. Make a note and go get it once it does. But be on your toes, because the RMT people are doing the same thing. I got a lot in the center of Ardoris this way without paying a dime to anyone.

Lord Ravnos, Rennik and Bom like this.
  13. Valeric

Valeric Avatar

Coupled with the issue of limited place anywhere deeds. PRTs and more of a ghost town than POTs. I'm still new to this game but the majority of PRTs are virtually dead (been to probably 60% of towns in game). How is Portalarium going to ensure that these are viable when there are no deeds available to purchase in store or in game (have only seen about 1-2 place anywhere deeds on player venders, pricey too) to allow players to claim lots in PRTs? I mean those already have them aren't going to be moving, unless they have multiple PADs.

May end up that they change them from PRTs to POTs? I must be missing something here.

Numa likes this.
  14. Courcheval

Courcheval Avatar

what about renting a place from a landowner. This is cheap (i m paying 2 coto a month for a row) and it gives you the oportunity to change of location if you get bored and take a bigger place if you grow wealthier.

Numa likes this.
  15. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I like the idea of POT/PRT deeds.

Fwiw, I think the big issue with a lot of PRTs is that the NPC stuff is very far from the entrance. Island PRTs with the Celestis template have people living in them because they are much more convenient.

16. Smurfwizard

Smurfwizard Avatar

People would try and buy housing if everyone that gobbed up all of it were not trying to double or triple there profits. I could not afford to buy a subscription that had a plot let alone housing and as a causal player will probably never be able to own a home due to the expense and cost of upkeep. Playing with limited space in the inventory and no place to keep it without people taking it. I had high hopes since I had played all the Ultima and wizardry games. They were always engaging in there was a purpose to map and find clues to get to the next level. And yes the graphics are in today's world considered a place holder, they kept you engaged in the game. I had been play SOTA since 2014, but have found the last 6+ months not wanting to play due to there being so many GM of crafts and since I am still learning there is NO market other than public vendors to sell to for little profit. I have been instead going back to ESO with all of the new changes they have made it is a much better game and in the near future they will be implementing instanced housing that all can afford, and as you grow can upgrade to better housing if you want.

17. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Safe Travels, hope to see you for a mug of ale!

Numa likes this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You don't have to buy a home to have a home. If you like the game anyone will give you a place to stay while you figure out what you want to do. I am not sure how rental will work, but I am by means not in this game to make money off of someone. I hope we can set our rental limits to almost nil for others to feel they always have a place to call home and to share this experience with us. Anyway I am Majoria in game andtruly if I can help in anyway I will. Best wishes to you and others who give up. Give us options, give us camping that uses supplies, gypsy camps, inns for weary travelers, and rental options that are beyond fantastic. ;) Here's to a great design being developed for everyone to have a home to enjoy this game. :)

Tracker and Luca Xante like this.
  19. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I for one wish there was more uniformity or consistency in the towns.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Place anywhere deeds are being given away every month in the lot deed raffle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.