I have the red name blues

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Audacity, Jan 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

Make it a PVP zone please :)

Audacity and Vrunk Hrrk like this.
  2. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

This would be pretty cool but maybe just something ongoing rather than by a tournament? Like the top PVPer in the last 30 days (sliding window) can use the title King Killer. Maybe slots 4-5 are Bloody Barons (apologies to JKR). Or special titles for most unique PKs: Mass Murderer, maybe one thats a function of total kills and kill / death ratio? Once its set up, they don't have to do anything else.

Gix likes this.
  3. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

Poor Budner. He shouldn't of been AFK outside his house. I told yous what happens when you do.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  4. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I will run some events in Blood Bay in R38. Lots of new mechanics going in that I believe will make things vastly more enjoyable this release.

5. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

As a pvp player, not at the same level as some of you, I completely agree with you Corp. Well said.

Audacity likes this.
  6. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

I'm pretty low level for pvp but I still have fun, even Rada had some fun with me the other night ;)

I can kill a higher level player IF I catch them off guard...

Thwip, Rada Torment and Audacity like this.
  7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

One day I'll get bored and decide to spend my time cleaning out my inventory, figuring out what can be looted and what can not, setup a PVP specific deck, unstuck a lot of things so I don't waste gold. Then Travel around looking for someone to fight. By the time I finish all that it will be bed time and I will go to bed. I will forget about PVP until my deck has been replaced for some other PVE fight, my inventory is full of crap, and and all my reagents are stacked again, and I forget what items can and cannot be looted. Just simplify it all so if I feel like PVP one night I can jump in and go without paying a crapload for a stack of something I left in my inventory.

Gix, Lord Ravnos, Thwip and 3 others like this.
  8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

This is pretty similar to how I feel. PvP would be a lot more appealing to me if inventory management wasn't a key factor. Unstacking items and carrying around a bunch of garbage isn't my idea of preparing for combat.

9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Rada Torment @Corp Por

Although you are right, this is the view from someone who has the time and the levels.
    Please explain me how to have fun PvP against one of you while having 400 HP and my highest damage spell on 73???

And then explain me how much fun you had while this "great challenge" versus me?

I have no problem to loose and learn, but what chance i would have, what can i learn beside time=levels=win?
    A fun duell OK, but everything else?

And with loot and such and casuals have not only less levels, but also less gold, less equip and aren't able to replace their losses immediately without any pain PvP maybe is a fun thing with low risk and less losses to you or the powergamers, but not for a casual player.
    And it is not about loosing pixels, its about loosing the possibility to play the game comfortable and hold what you already hardly were able to get.
    If I ran out of gold, loose my equip I cannot go further like before, I need to restock, what maybe takes me some days.
    That is what you don't have a problem with, you restock instantly maybe or don't care loosing equip as you and other often stated aeverything is too easy to get.
    Playing a lot more for motnhs I would say the same, but this is not what the majority of players do. They cannot easily craft and restock everything.

It's a completely diverse starting position for PvP.

But I wish the high-level players have fun with their PvP turney.
    I will partake in 2018 or maybe 2019 :D

Yes , SotA is a game about levels and who have more time invested is better.
    Although this is what most MMOs are about, i don't like this mechanics because
    1. You have less PvP participants , because you reduce it to the elite p!Ayers audience and exclude most of normal and casual players
    2. Playerskill isn't really the point, and because of that it feels less "sporty" but let casuals look like a fool.

But maybe they find a way to integrate people who aren't able to play +10hrs a day.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  10. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Toadster and Lazlo, you can use bags for inventory management. Just have a backpack with unstacked reagents and shoddy weapons that you keep in the bank and just grab on the go when you're feeling red.

Stundorn, I started pvping when I my adv lvl was in the 20s facing gods like Corp Por and Fizzlebang. There is still a lot of fun to be had. Here is my journal of my first pvp encounters.: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-pvp-diaries.60465/

I've found this pvp community wants more folks to try it out and is willing to help any way. Heck several folks even dropped all of their armor to fight me naked so I could go a lil longer before I died and get in more practice. If you are interested I implore you not to wait. Get started now. Look me up if you ever want to practice without looting.

Pvpers, so is this a "no thanks" to the weekly meet and greet? If so, I hope I will see you in Blood Bay. Add me to your friends list if we aren't already and come hunt me. I'm probably flagged and waiting. <3

Fringe, Corp Por, Stundorn and 3 others like this.
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

@Chris

Im really looking forward to bloodbay, and though I like the idea of dev run events I hope that bloodbay will be a full functioning pvp zone expiernece with or with out a dev moderated event.

Any plans on adding resilence type of enchant modfiers to pvp crafting say gear made in bloodbay for example? Pvp crafters will want to have ur babies (im not a crafter sorry).

Also consider hiding the zone player list in BB, the surprise factor is missing and this zone does not need or want that hand holding.

@DarkStarr in your write up of r38 you have bloodbay as a bullet point at the end of another bullet point. In my mind and many of my fellows this is the biggest addition to the game since persistance dont underplay this in fact hype the hell out of it and headline your post. Many of those people who barley scan thier weekly emails will want to see this - in the words of Trump "Its huge".

Numa and Fister Magee like this.
  12. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

I am always pvp flagged and I target any red on sight. But pvp atm is just too unbalanced. If I sneak and get the first hit, I always win the fight. I went into The Rise the other day when I see 2 ? in my nearby players. I sneaked for them and find them full hp ready for fighting elves. I attacked both and finished both, only the second player had barely a chance to hurt me to 50% hp. This may never happen in balanced pvp.

13. Rada Torment

You are a great example of this awesome community, even when I catch you off-guard in towns you are always happy to fight and keep the friendship like nothing happened.

Maybe sounds normal for some but believe me, I have played almost all pvp MMOs since UO days and this is not very common to find nowadays.

Stundorn, Numa and Audacity like this.
  14. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

This sounds like my kind of game play.
    LOL

Of course, I guess @Budner already has the copyright on that type of PVP.

15. Silis

Silis Avatar

I am always up for a fight and would love to see more folks meeting up to pvp. I hope in R38 we can find more folks flagged and ready to go, but I'm currently flagged anytime I'm not at an event and almost always in MP, if you're looking for a friendly duel or someone to jump in the world add me to you friends list and come hunting, although I'm usually not alone...;). Let's keep fighting, keep learning and keep building feedback while having some fun! I'm also happy to use different builds and try different tactics in a duel to even the playing field.

Adam Crow, Fringe, Raistlyn and 3 others like this.
  16. Rada Torment

We having fun but I can agree with you about some points. You are right about the gap between casual players and hardcore players. Even if I spent hundreds of hours already since persistance, I didn't even hit adv lvl 90 yet (playing since day 1), and we already have more than 10-20 players beyond adv lvl 100. So I can imagine how many people are under lvl 80 without the possibility to put more than 1-2h per day.

The gap is real, and there is an impact for sure, but its true that once we all hit high levels, the gap is less noticeable.

We'll see a lot of changes to the combat, skills, stats in next months, so I'll keep cautious about the pvp "balance" discussion for now :)

17. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

Will there be any events for low level casual players that won't turn them into 'mutton'?

18. Rada Torment

I think this is one of the basics of open pvp idea, more than "balance" issue. Take EVE as a good example of a real sandbox with open pvp, really hard to find fair fights in open space.

We know that this pvp is not for everyone. The best is to try to give more options, for those who are looking for a more "fair" pvp, like tournaments or pvp events.

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Battlegrounds based on level range imop.

20. Gix

Gix Avatar

You don't see him and therefore you just assume he doesn't PvP? Jumping to conclusions a bit too quickly, don't you think? Heck, I rarely side with @Weins201 (if at all) but I have to interject here.

I don't know about Weins but you won't see me in PvP either and that's because I believe PvP is garbage in its current iteration and I probably won't PvP until the rules of engagement changes. Does that mean that a PvPer like me can't contribute to the discussion?

Am I supposed to only say nice things about it? That doesn't fly in my book.

Isn't the whole point of these discussions about trying to improve PvP?

Telling someone to stop giving feedback just because you don't like it (or find it negative) isn't particularly healthy either. We call that censorship.

Reading the OP, the tournament thing is neat but I came to similar conclusions.

This is far more appealing than giving me extra crap I don't care about (XP/resources) in an attempt to bait me to PvP while the PvErs are crying out about fairness. If the devs need to resort to bait, they'll need proper bait.

I might show up in Blood Bay to see what's up. I'm expecting a spike in PvP participation (and everybody will claim that it's "omg the best thing ever") and then it'll most likely dry off again if there's nothing particularly different.

It's one thing to have "fair" PvP... but SotA PvP's first hurdle is that it needs to be less of a hassle.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.