Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I've tried to log in for the last time.

Discussion in 'Release 37 Feedback Forum' started by Duncan O. McDermott, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

You took the words right out of my mouth. I dont like any kind of posing but as we are talking about it: Iam as well IT pro since 1989 , still active as operative network engineer. I know that its not done with a workaround like starman posted.

2. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I was told to reinstall the game since I had too many crash reports. So far so good this week no new crashes.

I can also tell the difference by installing on a SSD, which helps with the loading times.

3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

...performance tuning is usually the last phase of software dev ...

...broken record...

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Performance should be part of the development process from the start, not something that's crammed for at the end.

Nhili Dragon, uhop and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Here ya go. Use this as you please. This is a typical zone load time for me, Im 3000 miles from the servers. Im shocked that someone in IT wouldn't suggest starting with the simple solutions first and then work their way into more complex systems.

6. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

What is this? You show a zoning from overworld to overworld. That is always faster than into towns as this is most complain. You live 2300 miles from servers away, I live about 9000 away and it takes a bit longer. Do you really think this loading times are suitable?

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Not really much more I can do to prove it to an "ITPro" like you. You have a video, I zone in 15 seconds to any area including Owls and Adoris. You may continue to reason that the dev's need to "fix" something on their side. While you are at it, give Bill Gates a call from me, Word crashed on me, I need him to recompile office to fix it.

8. Gix

Gix Avatar

@2112Starman Stuff works for you, therefore, it's everybody else's hardware that's the issue? That's your troubleshooting process? C'mon man; be reasonable.

Ask yourself this: What is my computer actually loading?

If you were beta testing Word and it did crash on you, maybe you'd want to ask them to fix it, yes.

Barugon likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's considerably slower for me to enter a scene than it is to zone from Hidden Vale to Novia. Some scenes, like Owl's Head and Brittany Central, take much longer.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  10. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Yeah right... Im more shocked at your conclusions.
    The simple solution in this case is: Port released a patch, stuff got slower - I see the problem in that very sentence, no need for more complexity.

Your video isnt very good given the discussion that has taken place (but thanks for uploading it). I zone quickly between Novia and The Vale too, I also zone quickly into Outlander Welcome Center, even if it is the very first scene I resume into.
    Since I provided times for two different "resume into Kingsport" why didn't you also time that - that would have been two more interesting comparisons.
    An initial resume into Kingsport for example ought to be slower than the subsequent ones for you too.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I personally don't feel that 15+ seconds is quick or even acceptable.

Svahn and K1000 like this.
  12. Gix

Gix Avatar

It's all relative to what we get in return.

If you're going from Novia to the HiddenVale and they practically use the same assets on a different terrain, one has to wonder why it has to reload everything.

If it's loading a city with tons of decorations, I'd understand... except the decorations are currently being streamed over as you move around.

If it's generating a completely unique procedural area to play in (it doesn't), I'd understand.

Hornpipe and Barugon like this.
  13. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

My loading times have gotten a bit worse this release also.

For me that ferry takes only 0:15 seconds to your 0:19. And only 0:11 seconds going the other way.

However zoning into Ardoris takes me 1:07 timed by stop watch. And if I park my avatar in Ardoris, log out and back on, the loading time is a whopping 2:20 this release.

Have you tried timing Ardoris? I'm curious to see if your results are faster than mine, as I'm only about 600 miles from the server.

14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

35 seconds tested just now.

15. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Ardoris is my home town as well and its not even long loading screen into Ardoris its also the massive decreasing fps in town.
    I wonder about this issues as all instances are very small compared to other acutal videogames which have way larger instances e.g Age of Conan each province is about 4-6x larger than the largest in SotA. There you get the feeling of a virtual "world", in SotA I tend to the feeling of claustrophobia ...

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  16. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Maybe its they way they (the devs) have decided to do or load certain things, in addition to the game not being optimized.
    In that they insist on too much being loaded or synced from the server before letting the player into the scene.

I remember SwTor, where they had (or still have) you sitting through a forced load screen and/or animation (at some scene changes) when in fact the character had already arrived at the destination.
    I was annoyed when I found out, and there was a non official way to bypass the loading screen too, but I don't remember what now - and then you could play sooner.

17. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Ouch.
    I haven't tried doing that with Ardoris this release, I think I'll pass on testing it. :D

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  18. CobaIt

CobaIt Avatar

Remember this game is a tribute to the Ultima's of old. They're just trying accurately portray the load speeds of the old 5 1/4 floppy disks. Its kind of like the over world thing they're sticking with. Eh eh eh... :p

19. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

The thing is people, including myself, are experiencing performance degradation from r36 to r37. I noticed that my load times have increased and I'm getting horrible framerates on nearly every setting from Fastest to Beautiful. On beautiful settings in Ardoris I am getting 11-20 fps, Elysium Mines I get 50-60fps. I'm using an SSD drive and was getting quick 15s or faster load times, but now this is doubled or slower most times.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 15992
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics GPU RAM: 7816

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  20. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

The load times for me in this release have made me decide to log on only occasionally to check them. The game is pretty but I guess I will wait to play when the next up date comes out as the slow loading ruins the game for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.