Maybe someday.. Kill Moves

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Because it would make combat so much more entertaining and satisfying to have a % chance that you get a special animation when you land the killing blow.

In thinking back to some of my favorite games.. this feature has been one of my favorites.. It didn't need to be bloody or otherwise graphic.. it just needed to be something different than the same animation over and over during the fight.

I realize this is a very expensive request.. but if it could just go on the list of some day maybe..

Options for cut-scene style cinematic on-off for player and party members.. (would only play if it's the last kill and no other hostiles nearby).. Otherwise normal 'kill move' with no camera adjustments..

And if cinematic effect maybe in slight slow motion? :) (icing on the cake feature)

One of the single features I loved most about games like Fable and Skyrim..

Hornpipe, EMPstrike, Kambrius and 9 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I like it too Bowen. When it happened in skyrim in the form of decapitation for example and you saw the head roll, that was really awesome. :)

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think my favorite is the long distance one shot snipe. :) Kinda like that Legolas shot in Fellowship that follows the arrow from the bow to the orc's forehead. :)

4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

fantastic idea here... but which type of kill moves do you mean:

finishing moves in guildwars2 world vs world and pvp play, where you can drop some sort of 'flag" on the spot where you just killed a guy, for a time period if you don't move too far away and don't wait too long? i loved the one where you dropped a cow on the corpse and it twitched its legs a little, kind of like in monty pythons holy grail..
    or
    are you talking kill moves like finishing moves like with a poleaxe/2haxe/waraxe, chop off their leg, then slam it down into their chest cavity? - or if it is a sneak attack with 1hblade, a behind-the-back throat cut? - like in skyrim? man, i loved that addon where you got a ton of extra killmoves based on the type of weapon in your hand.

the first, could be something worked on fairly quickly after the tech is built and a few random generic ones too - and could be then worked on the side by devs with a few minutes to spare from time to time, and put up singularly or in packs on the store.
    the second, i can certainly see as pretty time consuming and expensive, and possibly altering open pvp in a negative way (player who killed, would have to be invincable during the duration of the animation)... much easier to do for single player, but could be tricksy on multiplayer.

5. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

I love Fatalities. Look at those brutal in Age of Conan:

iansmellios likes this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Oh ja I liked them too.
    Maybe just a Sound for cheer or a emote you can choose.
    Funny if people choose Macarena for :D

I want a *you shall not pass* finish ;)

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't mean anything silly like dropping cows on people. But it doesn't necessarily have to be bloody or brutal either.. in fact gore is not preferred.

Dance of Death? :) I have mine set to show kill moves regardless of whether it's the last kill or not.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

yeah, the cow was just one example. was one of the less gory and more amusing ones really. if i remember in gw2 there was a pretty big lag spike when that was first implemented but they got it under control after a couple months..then again, that type of mass slaughter (wvwvw) won't be happening in sota, so i don't think it'll be nearly that big of an issue.
    but having some sort of 'touchdown dance' type thing would be pretty neat.

that was the one. i had the same setting. sadly they havn't ported that one over to special edition yet.

9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

were there 'fatalities' for other weapons and/or classes, or was that just a dual-wield dagger thing?

10. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I would settle for just feeling like I actually hit the enemy before worrying about fatalaties :p

11. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

i would prefer getting rid of the death animation al together and just cut the strings holding up the puppet and let gravity and momentum take care of the rest.

12. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

All classes and all weapons had their own fatality depending on the combo that led to the finishing move. Except mages, they had no fatalities.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

In other words ragdoll physics. :) Though I find it tends to be a bit over the top and prone to weird effects.

14. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Goat simulator MMO part 2: Novia edition!!

Fister Magee likes this.
  15. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Yeah they have that in Witcher 3. That would be nice to add it on to the Coup De Grace move.

16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

what!? wow. mages could have had the neatest ones... what a let down. *wink*

thanks for the info, and that is what i thought it should be, not only does every class, but every weapon also has them specific to those classes too. neat

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If I could.. I would see every skill that does damage have it's own kill for each type of mob.. not just every weapon.. but every skill. Maybe more than one. :) (yes including mages).. that would be very expensive to do though I'm sure.

18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

every skill have one. every weapon have one... and maybe even a second variation of them based on the combination of weapons in hand and skill used as the killing move. that way it could be varied a little.

but yea, i agree it would get expensive especially if put on a shortlist and focused on. BUT if it is something they do in between big projects, or to take their mind off their primary projects, then it could actually cost much less than you and i anticipate it could. kind of treat it as a minor polish detail (not the nationality)

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Just for the record I wouldn't mind if it were implemented slowly over time. ;)

20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

damn, i can only 'like' this once.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.