Rent bind points

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChairStacker, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChairStacker

ChairStacker Avatar

Idea: allow players to pay a monthly fee to rent additional bind points at town criers. Perhaps have a maximum number of bind points that players can rent (3? 5?)

Purpose of this is to increase the number of fast travel options for all players. The current teleport system favors people who have a large number of friends who actively play. Players with no friends or a small number of friends have no use for teleport at all.

This will also act as an additional gold sink.

Players could manage/pay rent for bind points using an interface just like the current deed manager.

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Two primary effects:
    • It would further advantage those with an already economic advantage
    • It would damage, if not destroy the regional economy concept

3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

That sounds like a really useful gold sink. Have a +1 :D

For the time being though, everywhere you go to include the overland map - open the Nearby Player UI and send everyone there a friend request. You'll be bouncing around the map in no time.

4. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

True, but this would also work for those in friends, solo and offline...

5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think something like town-specific scrolls that can be made with reagents that are found in adventure scenes near those towns would be more interesting and make more sense.

Numa, Elfenwahn, Duke Avery and 7 others like this.
  6. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

while i think that this touches on a legit problem i dont think extra bind points are the answer to this.

i think the answer to this is better handled by players and i believe we are getting the first of the set of tools we will need in r39 going by the roadmap. renting rooms.

in r35/34? before i forgot we are in early access and let my frustraions get the better of me i started on a project of creating a chain of inns across novia i had a few row lots spread out in various pots in areas i considered hubs of interest to me. i was working on buying tax free deeds and vendors to offer much the same thing that Ihuma now Glantor Edge have in owls head.

while i made progress on that idea once i came back from my rage break i realized that i would not be the best person to do this for the game with my... mercurial... nature.

i believe that pax lair or one of the towns associated with them offer something similar also. over time i expect more to pop up that are more biz focused than the current ones as we get systems and house types that reflect the need for regional bases of operation rather than home bases.

flop houses and such where there is just a bed and a chest for rent rather than a whole floor/room.

*staggers off to coffee pot.

7. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

A strong and sounding "no!" to this idea... I don't think it is in the interest of the idea of "local economies" to allow especially richt players to "rent" teleportation-targets. Sure, it would be very convenient. But I really like the idea of a world that I actually need to travel through instead of teleporting from one personal hot-spot to another.

Sean Silverfoot and Weins201 like this.
  8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

What do regional economies do again?

Numa likes this.
  9. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

Agreed.

I wouldn't be opposed to allowing multiple bind points to lots you own, though, up to 2 or 3; that's not excessive IMO. Not sure how that would work once renting comes into play, though.

I have 2 lots, one on Novia and one on Hidden Vale, and I still enjoy running around and going through random towns to check the vendors, but I'm probably one of the few.

Sadly, this is exactly why I decline most friend requests. I wouldn't want the "travel friends" clogging up my friend list and watering down a potential "playing friend" list.

10. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Ha! Sadly, that almost sounds like you're implying I'm not making friends by sending out friend requests.

-being social is one of the of the leading pulls for even being in this game
    -making friends makes the game more enjoyable
    -having friends in all corners of the map means you have friends in all corners of the map

11. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

I did not intend to imply anything of the sort. I have no idea how you personally make friends in this game, I was just noting that I do not accept "blind" friend invites, partly because I noticed early on that they were usually only friending for travel purposes. I'm not one to have a huge friend list of acquaintances, I prefer a more intimate group. I have no issue with others playing/friending differently, except that it makes me less inclined to accept friend requests in the future if it's mostly about avoiding traveling by foot.

Vaentorian likes this.
  12. Deathadder

Deathadder Avatar

I think that is a great idea!

Thwip and zyxe like this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I never have people friend me for travel points. They do it because they want to be friends or because I will help them anytime and any way I possibly can. I would be disappointed if my friends request was avoided because of mistrust. I like having a friends list because I care so much about this community and other times to invite people to do boss kills with us or because I am wanting to ask a question or seek support with a question from a new person that I don't have answers to. I always have someone I can ask or say hello to. Anytime if I can help, let me know. We have a fantastic community here and we are already fairly small and intimate because many of us have been here for years compared to released games. We are all in this together, playing in a game not yet released and still being developed. ;)

zyxe likes this.
  14. mass

mass Avatar

I would hope that it would give purpose and meaning to the dangers of travel. Difficulty of travel justifies altered pricing in various regions. It provides specific value for homesteading in a particular area. Hopefully, if control points are developed well, it will give a purpose to group play to temporarily ease travel for others; it should provide various challenges to be overcome which should lead to economic reward. I agree, though, that it's not currently very successful in doing this. I would suggest that travel should be more difficult. Current TP scrolls should have a 24 hour cool down and control points should be impassable without a group holding the control point by some mechanic or with a one time 'quest' pass that gets you through it for story mode. The underworld should be the primary method of evading control points for solo players (I am mostly a solo player).

Sounds harsh for those that simply want to run events and socialize, but it might encourage more group play to assist players in getting through these areas for parties and meaningful trade.

Lazlo likes this.
  15. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

+1 this is a good idea!

16. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

You don't have to rent additional teleport destinations, you can buy them! they cost $40 each and last forever, plus you can move them around as much as you'd like ;)

I keep a character bound near Brit, Xenos, and Jaanaford. I would have bound another to Ardoris but every time i've needed to go there, there's been someone else online i could use.

Weins201 likes this.
  17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Nope bypasses intended design if they do this they would once again be stepping away from their intentions.

Starweed gave you a vailid solution

18. Womby

Womby Avatar

This is already possible:
    1. Buy another account.
    2. Place the alt character in a scene that you often travel to.
    3. Add the alt character to your friends list.
    4. Have both characters in game at the same time. (You need to run two clients at once - easy to do.)
    5. Teleport to alt.
    6. Return using recall.
    Cost: US$45 (plus cost of scrolls)

19. Numa

Numa Avatar

Makes a lot of sense to me. The range of these town specific scrolls should be more limited though IMO.

20. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

You're talking about two different things here. Regional economies and challenging travel meant to be fun and/or meaningful are separate goals. If some change makes travel more meaningful and fun to people, then that change would have a lot of merit regardless of whether or not it has any impact on the game economy. Up to this point, I don't think that any of the changes that have been made that have slowed travel have been fun or meaningful.

Regional economies don't currently exist. 90% of the map can be traveled to without ever going through a control point or going underground and there is nothing that's worth more in one region of the world than another. There is no economic reward for going to the few areas that are more difficult to travel to even in cases where some resource is more abundant than in the rest of the world. If you wanted to buy emeralds, would you go to Drachvald and start looking for them in towns, or would you just go to the most densely populated vendor hub, or would you just get the emeralds yourself? If you wanted to sell emeralds that you got in Drachvald and you had available to you a vendor in a densely populated vendor hub, would you put your emeralds up for sale in a town in Drachvald instead?

It's strange to me that so many people worry about undermining regional economies when they're clearly not a thing and probably never will be. If travel were ever actually difficult enough to produce the desired economic behavior, it would be so miserable that it wouldn't be practical. There are lots of other ways that challenges can stand between players and resources that wouldn't slow down everyone that's just trying to explore or go meet their friends or whatever.

p.s. I still think that being able to have two or more bind points would be too much of a boon to farming. There's a huge difference between 1 bind point and 2 because it allows someone to just bounce back and forth between some remote location and anywhere else. Teleport scrolls are still kind of sketchy as they are too, which is another strange thing, because a lot of people that are okay with teleport scrolls aren't okay with some other ideas that aren't nearly as effective.

p.p.s. I also think that the SotA vendor system of scattered vendors everywhere already presents much more of a time obstacle than travel speed bumps do, but it's also an obstacle that doesn't impede people from doing completely unrelated things. Right now we basically have personal economies where people have to decide how much time they are willing to sacrifice to expand their buying and selling circle, either through traveling and surveying or talking to people.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    mass and Innascual Inch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.