The problem with Sota from a casual players point of view

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lao Yang, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

There you go again...

2. Lao Yang

Lao Yang Avatar

Well we might have a different point of view there. But I believe the quality of the game should not be influenced by the decision where you decide to place your house. If your argument is I deserve those inconveniences because I decided to live in Drachvald that leaves me baffled. Why give us housing in inconvenient places? Why make some housing better quality than other? This will not be good for the longevity of the game as the people who feel disadvantaged will probably move on.

3. Lao Yang

Lao Yang Avatar

Please everyone this thread is about fast travel and local banking.
    I understand there are other resentments about this game, but do discuss these in another thread.

So noone else is bothered by the way the fast travel function is implemented?

4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I kinda agree with this. I used to travel to Adoris all the time, I would load my invy up with bows and run there since the vendor used to buy them for a ton. So, I traveled a LOT. But since persistence, my PoT is in Desolis and my vendor house is in Brit I travel that road a lot and its really not that bad. I pretty much do everything in Desolis with occasional travel to Owls (for guild vendor as well as public vendor). I have only been to Adoris like 5 times since persistence and that was mainly for training. I have no reason to go there, regions to me seem to be perfectly built.

I think people were pampered by UO and runes. Every game I have played since requires travel and it should. DAOC... EQ... GW2...etc... I would even say I had to travel more in those games. Travel creates the idea of side ans cope and I actually think SOTA has really done a GREAT job of hitting that medium between the two now.

Also dont forget that population should help with this (hopefully we get more people) in the future where there should be more people using regional structures like public vendors.

But if you are living in the North of the map and traveling to Adoris all the time, you be doing something wrong. Find a friendly PoT right next to Adoris and drop your house.

I have 30 lots open in my PoT now next to Desolis and close to Brit, feel free to drop your house in it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  5. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

I understand the feelings of the OP... when I started trying to learn SotA, I was initially bummed by the ability to "reasonably" fast-travel to various locations. I found myself longing for the days of Recall Runes in Ultima Online. ;) But then, I changed my perspective: By using the larger world map to "walk" from one location to another (from Solace Bridge to Soltown, from Soltown to Ardoris), it was a chance to explore, see the area around me, and learn the location of the different zones, cities, player-owned towns, etc. I've also joined a guild (and expanded my friends list at the same time), and if a guild member is in the area, I can use a teleport scroll to get to their location. Sure, it takes some gold for that, but a couple of minutes of loot-gathering makes up for that very quickly. Sometimes it's all a matter of perspective. :p

As far as having a place to live: I recently bemoaned the fact that finding a place to hang my hat was difficult and/or expensive. I was then inundated with replies and messages from a ton of people willing to help me out and give me an little space to call my own, at very little on no cost at all.

So give it a chance, hang in there, and don't be afraid to join a guild. It can greatly expand your horizons and open up a realm of possibilities and opportunities!

mercster and majoria70 like this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

oh, FYI, there are overly annoying zones for travel in this game no doubt. I've been railing on Central Brit since its built. You either have to zone into cBrit and walk across the entire map to get to the bank or zone to Hiddenvale then zone into Kingsport and then run to the boat that takes you to the Brit docks. This is obviously ridiculous.

This topic has come up with the devs of creating a Adoris like "boat man" for these other big zones and they said a Jira was opened but Im sure its Jira 45,000 of 234,999 so we may not see it soon.

7. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

Having Not read the opinions of others I Feel the much as you do, as it come to travel. I have been trying to keep passive enough to watch them finish the painting. After having watched West World, this game remind me a lot of that series from HBO. The Theme park isnt quite ready for New Comers yet. They are still in the programming mode. If they come once it is built, then most of the perception of travel may disappear. But I doubt it. No matter how they want to justify it, less there is some reason unknown to us, recalling/mounts must be resurrected in fine fashion. Load up screens need to be like using the harbor master, it is insulting to me in a way to see this and it not be this way through out the system. But I have a vague understand of why it is at the moment. so even in my rants and cynicism , I am trying to be passive enough to see this through. The Game looks Great, the ratios are off in my humble option but the game looks fabulous.

majoria70 likes this.
  8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I live in C.Britt and never use the main entrance. Best way is to enter through Kingsport, hang a left and swim for the redsail that'll take you direct to the C.Britt piers.

9. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

The story is about the adventure, not the destination. - Tolkien (paraphrased from memory)

When you read a book in bits of pieces due to limited free time do you skip to and read the last paragraph of each chapter? The enjoyment of the adventure comes from the adventure itself, not the ending.

10. Gix

Gix Avatar

It's only inconvenient or "lower" in quality depending on the player's priorities. ie: your perspective.

You're making it sound like you should put your house anywhere and have all of the benefits as anyone else. That's not what Portalarium is trying to accomplish here: your lot is part of the economy.

I live in Aerie. I'm one boat away from my favourite shop, a trek away from a Shardfall, a long uninterrupted journey from New Brittany (and have access to the Hidden Vale) and in exchange I'm isolated from Ardoris and from both Drachvald and South Paladis areas (which I've yet to explore).

Why didn't you set your house in Aerie instead? Because you prioritized something else. Now you're annoyed because you've realized an issue with your house location and your play-style. The thing is, your decision isn't permanently set in stone. You can always look around and move to wherever you desire.

mercster likes this.
  11. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

@Lao Yang

It's slow getting started but have patience and you will get somewhere.

Get in a guild and go on xp grinds with them.

If you see someone in the game anywhere add them to your friends list. I do even if I do not know them and most of the time they accept the invite and that is one more person on my list.

The lunar gates I think are still functional. Those might help you when traveling. Check this link which tells about them.

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Lunar_Rift

Need a spot for a house near the major city of Aerie? Check out Tempest Reef nearby. I will let you place a house. There are two mines close by.

12. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

*sniff*
    I thought we were friends!
    *sniff*
    So you just use me to teleport to Twins Foothills or Serpent's Spine, what, just to get to the mine!?!
    *skulks in the corner*

13. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I find it kind of funny the amount of people who are saying we don't need fast travel options because you can just friend everyone you see and use them to teleport....

Sooo... basically yes, you do need a fast travel option lol... how does it make sense to anyone that having a big long list of friends for the sole purpose of teleporting is good, but having more options in game to shorten travel times is bad?

what if i want to use my friends list for.. you know.. actual friends only?

14. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

You are right.

I really feel that the current scroll system we have is well outdated.

We need something new.

3devious and Preachyr like this.
  15. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

No one is "pretty much barred". If you want to add everyone to your list for the sole purpose of travel, be my guest. Sure, it may take you longer to populate it, but it is small effort and little time for anyone who plans to spend any time here.
    Furthermore, as has been stated many times above, not all "casuals" want or need fast travel. Please confine your opinions to yourself alone.

Aedon likes this.
  16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Its pretty straight for me.
    Walking - limping across map from point A to point B = boring, and annoying with the rovers.
    Boring = not entertaining. Not entertaining = not playing.

Some might like the *travel*, but i do not. I miss multiple recall points.

3devious and Budner like this.
  17. Merchant Mike

Merchant Mike Avatar

I am an extremely casual player, and so far do not have any issues getting around the map. I love to explore, and do not mind running from place to place. The longer it takes me to get there, the more new things I see.

mercster, Rada Torment and Baratan like this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Movement along the map is relatively fast as it is. The biggest problem with travel loading screens, which they should definitely work on.

IMO, making this even easier than it is would make the game much more boring. Its not about casual players vs. power players, but creating a real world that you live in, rather than some sort of virtual chat room. If someone considers themselves casual and can't take a minute or so to do map travel, I don't know what to say.

What you describe in your OP: grinding for raw materials, crafting, then logging out, is itself the big tedium to me, and is something I want to avoid doing as much as I can in the game. To make the game much more friendly for everyone, the heavy grind needs to be taken down a notch IMO; less raw mats required for crafting, less gold for rent, etc. Why people focus on things like travel when grinding is the big problem that makes the game unfun is not really clear to me.

mercster likes this.
  19. lafe1969

lafe1969 Avatar

The steam achievements are bugged. I have well over 200 hours and probably thousands if not 10s of thousands of kills, yet I still don't have the first hunter achievement.

20. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

I actually like the 'realism' of local banking and no fast travel. Scrolls already provide a good deal of fast travel though.

Black Tortoise likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.