Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Can someone explain the reasoning for putting the auto attack buried within the menu?

Discussion in 'Release 38 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Jarikith, Jan 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarikith

Jarikith Avatar

Overall I see some good changes to how auto attack works with this new release. It no longer just starts firing off when you happen to be pointing vaguely towards an enemy, you have to deliberately target them with double clicking or the hard target key, awesome. Great. Love it. Breaking target stops the auto attack, cool and useful. I like that too. Auto Attack stops if I'm not looking at my target, but resumes when I am? Nice, logical. Not all the changes are for the better though.

Specifically I refer to how the only way to switch between auto attack and free attack is now by going in through the menu finding the checkbox in the game options and clicking or unclicking it. That keybind that used to exist to be able to use to toggle between modes is simply gone, no longer exists in the controls menu. Is it gone for good? Is it merely temporarily missing? I truly hope it's the latter, but in case it's not, well then I have the following to say on the matter:

Why on Novia was it necessary to place the switch between auto attack and free attack only within the options menu? Why eliminate the ability for players to switch more readily between the two modes? Sometimes in the heat of battle I need to switch from quick firing damage to more measured shots on the fly. If, for example, I notice that, 'Oh my I'm suddenly quite low on arrows!' I can compensate with stronger attacks that fire far less often. If someone's yammering at me while I'm clearly trying to fight for my life and I've got lots of ammo I can hit auto attack and hopefully survive real life pestering me while letting auto attack take more of the burden from me. This new implementation, assuming that what's been done as of this morning is the final iteration of this change, completely eliminates that option of making that strategic on the fly decisions of which mode to use. Only by fumbling through a menu can I enjoy the level of versatility I had before this change. I'm definitely not a fan of that change and would like to know if there's actually some overall reasoning behind walling off the toggle behind the menu system rather than letting us keep a keybind to switch between modes.

ManaPlow, Tamsen, Fringe and 8 others like this.
  2. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

The legendary bowlord speaks true! Need the toggle on the fly please.

3. Silis

Silis Avatar

Not being able to switch on the fly is also incredibly cumbersome for those who use multiple builds. I frequently switch between ranged and magic and, as there is no reason other than to destroy my poor wand faster to have auto attack on, I use the toggle frequently in those situations. This is especially if I'm switching decks in combat. Having it buried in the menu just adds annoying layers to managing my builds. I hope we see the toggle return soon.

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I am not happy they are changing auto-attack like this. I was testing hunting yesterday and the T key was not working and I almost put in a bug. I am glad I saw this thread to see these enhancements are breaking what I loved the most of auto attack. For me these enhancements is destroying auto attack.

5. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Damn. I loved that. Nice way to find all the skeletons in the grass or snag agro on a lot of animals to make an efficient skinning circle.

6. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I will get the T key hooked back up in Patch 1. I intended to put it back in for the live release.

The bow radar where you just magically shoot anything in site or out of site will not return. As much fun as it was to run and just magically shoot anything from bunnies hidden in the grass to skeletons still lying down to stealthed players, it was not really intended. The new rule is you have to either target it yourself or it has to agro on you for you to auto attack it.

Also worth noting that this was an LB requested change.

7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

It was fun while it lasted. If you hard target with tab will you auto fire or will you still then need to click an additional key?

8. Jarikith

Jarikith Avatar

Glad to hear that the toggle key will return. That was my primary concern. As the Legendary Bowlord I found the other changes made perfect sense, including removing what will henceforth be known as.. Bowdar. ;)

Audacity, Fringe and Chris like this.
  9. Chris

If you tab target them you will start shooting or if they agro on you. So you'll never shoot every bunny in the field unless you target them first but if there is a hidden skeleton that spots you, you will start shooting him when he starts getting up.

10. Chris

Yah, I thought it would be acceptable to not have a toggle and just always have it on. If you want to turn off autoattack, just put away your bow. Seemed logical but in reality there are some times when you want the option to stop shooting without leaving combat.

11. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Cool. Thanks. Was hoping we didn't go from zero key strokes to an additional two.

12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Is there something that prevents the use of spamming tab target from auto-hitting stealthed players? Like auto-attack never hits stealthed players? :)

13. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I think really, the answer to the title of this thread is: because its their intention for you to use combat as is. The settings are there if you want to do something different.

I agree that settings are cumbersome and are in need of a UX overhaul, though its not that important atm.

I also agree that I dont like the default way of engaging with the game, so I (painstakingly ;) ) reconfigure for "classic mmo style" keyboard use for all 4 clients I play SotA on.

14. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Even though you hook back up T, Can the default be ON after pressing Z instead of having to hit Z then T to start auto-attacking like it is now? Then when you start pressing T it can toggle? Otherwise I feel like its going to be Z, then T, then TAB just to start every fight?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I loved the fact that with auto-attack now optioned the way it is, that I started attacking the minute I hit Z if I was in range?

uhop likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Just so you know, holding down the left mouse button will start auto-attacking; letting it go will stop auto-attacking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.