Not for the Faint of Heart...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BodyCount, Jan 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BodyCount

BodyCount Avatar

Where to begin... I have achieved adventure level 89 I own a house, I have most gm crafting abilities (outside of masterwork) and have played in 75+ of the different zones... I have visited the add-ons store and purchased items I have put enough time into the game to work a second job so with that said...

1.) When I log in I'm not a big crafter or gatherer I like to use my characters abilities whether that is PvE or PvP (there is not PvP in this game currently, gank squads and people being able to flag when you are low if they are not flagged, by far the worst PvP experience in any game that claims to have PvP in it that I have experienced. I play different games for my PvP pleasures currently.)

2.)PVE - fight the same mobs over and over no different strategy round em up or mow em down 1 by 1. Half of the zones are the same layout (and I watched a Twitch Live event that showed you guys are working on "sieges"... What if I told you every Discord or TS or Ventrilo I have been in EVERYONE skips through the siege to get to the town. and the people that do want to fight it can't kill 10+ liches at a time so they just die endlessly.. The best form of greifing or pvp in this game is to drag the liches to the zone-in entrance of the siege and die. so that anytime someone zones in they just get THUMPED by all the Liches!... So you have spent time and effort on Sieges that no one enjoys or wants to partake in... I could give you some ideas if you cared about how to more effectively do a siege than this current, flawed method!

So after killing 5 million thugs and 5 million bears and wolfs and spiders.. I got a group to go kill more difficult mobs to see if we could get better loot. but the mob that I can kill solo and the mob that takes 5-8 of my buddies and me to kill drops the same if not LESS loot than the mobs i was killing by the thousands by myself. So that right there is a huge PROBLEM! no reason to group up and fight more difficult mobs because the loot does not scale. (developers coming from UO should know earth elementals dropped 115gp on average and dragons dropped near 2k and then gazers and all other mobs were tailored to drop gold based on their difficulty... Elder gazers dropped 1k and regular gazers dropped 150ish, those numbers are relatively close it has been awhile... but you get the idea)

3.) The dungeons are a decent step in the right direction but loot tables still fail to produce and no-one seems to care, who is developing to fix these things, stop working on sieges and spend time where you can get more bang for your buck [removed by Berek]

4.) you have a unique concept that most games don't have and that is "the World Map" HOWEVER, the zones NEED to be larger and fewer and they NEED to have more mobs in them. Not many have experienced the flawed concept behind the instances you have but those who were involved in Control Points, when they were a thing to do in this game, couldn't even get in the same zone as their friends because the zone was "capped" make all of the zones 10 times larger than they are and add 10x the amount of mobs so those that like to adventure can do so and do it in Multiplayer (maybe)... P.S. I play in Friends Only 99.9% of the time because the zones are SO small that if 2 other people are in the zone i get about 25% of the mobs to kill that I would if I would have just joined friends only so the 10% boast in Multi-Player is negated heavily because I am killing 75% less Mobs (so who cares about 10% more exp on each of those mobs...)

Lastly if you are wanting this game to be more of a crafter game, buy and sell houses for big Real Life Money and are trying to actually create a 2nd Life style MMO then let all the points above pass by and don't pay any attention to them. If that is the direction of the game I would like to know so I can apply my time to other games in my life (even though I like the basic concept behind this game...) You can either agree with my ideas or disagree but I care and hope the game succeeds and all Succesful MMO's have content that pleases all types of players and this game currently is not heavily pleasing any one group of people. (gear doesn't make a difference, add a few stat bonuses but .07% increase to crit chance C'MON man that is nothing give me 1% at the VERY LEAST!... which makes crafting gear not as rewarding after the person gets the gear the mobs are so easy that the gear is never even noticed because you are able to kill at the same rate that you were with your beginner gear on...and PvP is non-existent and un-rewarding and decreasing the exp in groups also discourages others from grouping that mindlessly solo, heck they might enjoy grouping if loot tables are fixed and able to achieve more through friends and groups.)

Let the flames/rants begin in the below boxes to follow

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
  2. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Under construction is the answer you will receive. I frequent the forums many times a day from work since I don't do much else ^^ Today alone I looked over 3 posts of folks that were quitting or dissatisfied. If there is one thing for certain and only 1 balance they have achieved thus far is the happy/unhappy balance. I was so fed up almost a year ago, that I sold my royal founder account. Look at my info I have been here from day 2 of kickstarter, member number is in the 800's. I have a basic account now that I hop on every so often hoping for that change or changes that makes me say Yes, this is where I want to spend my time.

Disclaimer: PERSONAL OPIONIN HERE

Was persistence to soon? yes
    Should they spend more time drawing up more creatures instead of more housing materials? Yes
    If I had a choice to buy a pack of purple curtains or a 3 pack of new creatures from the store that is what "I" would spend my money on.
    Identical scenes. Is there a reason to have over 100 scenes in the game, that have the same creatures, loot? We could of had 40 polished scenes with variety of creatures that fit the area.. You want brown leather armor, kill bears in the forest, you want pink leather armor, kill wyverns in the desert. You want green leather armor, kill crocks in the swamps..
    I'm a pvp fan by heart.. UO Mortal Online WoW Archage DAOC and many more, they all had their ups and downs. Look at them all what was good? what was bad. Take the good leave out the bad.. no reason to reinvent the wheel that already rolls. But im not going to get into this topic any deeper.
    The community here? Frecking awesome very very very few times have I read posts by anyone and thought what an ass.. some folks are more liberal and some are more intellectual when it comes to putting things in words. That is what makes us so great the differences.
    Crafting improvements have been made but still no where near a releasable position.
    Combat clunky and grindy still almost 4 years later.
    Alpha prealpha beta? Everyone has their own vision of where we stand.

Bottom line before it goes any further.
    What will it take and what kind of schedule do you need to make this ready for launch? Good question, take to long you lose folks.. to fast it isn't ready for the new people you lose folks.. Im just glad im not the one making those decisions.. I can only hope for the best of the game they make the right ones.

3. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

You're not wrong. While I dont subscribe to the extremes I will answer my own thoughts point for point:

1. I dont PVP much but I have heard this too. Id prefer scripted PVP mini games and objective driven PVP from time to time. The flagging right now is meh - i'd never want full open PVP but I would prefer having incentives driven PVP stuff.
    2. More mob variety will come but you are 100% spot on about loot. Needs to be adjusted, needs to be improved. I know @Chris is working on some improvements for that starting in the next release. But just the basic gold values are nonsensical right now even. I have hope.
    3. Like the above, dungeons are good but we need reason to go there. Better LOOT and actual gold/treasure. (We have dozens of types of gems... all KINDS of enchants and variants in items... we see none of that in basic loot - what the hell?) BUT, the game is still being developed so I have hope that will improve. But we do need to keep bringing it up as a problem.
    4. World map will grow larger for sure. The instance limit caps need to go away though... because right now it's crazy when you try to get groups together. Larger zones are coming though, i wouldnt doubt most of the tiny ones get huge adjustments. World map does need more interactivity - i'd like to be able to use survey skills over the world map somehow to discover resouce rich zo nes.
    And for your last point I do think that they are trying to build a rich PVE / PVP experience *AND* the social RP experience youd get out of second life.

Im sure all these things are being looked at and will be addressed. While I dont share the cynacism i fully agree that these are key critical problems that need to be addressed in the functional gameplay.

4. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I will let others discuss the other points you brought up. As far as Shroud of the Avatar goes it is a game. 2nd life is not a game. This is known because the company that released it says it isn't a game.

Second Life had approximately 1 million regular users.[1] In many ways, Second Life is similar to massively multiplayer online role-playing games; however, Linden Lab is emphatic that their creation is not a game:[2] "There is no manufactured conflict, no set objective".[3]

1. "Infographic: 10 Years of Second Life". Linden Lab. 2013-06-20. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
    2. ^ Jump up to:a b Giuseppe Macario; Cory Ondrejka, Virtual Worlds: Theoretical Perspectives and Research Methods, retrieved October 18, 2014
    3. Jump up^ "If Second Life isn't a game, what is it? - Technology & science - Games - On the Level". NBC News. 2007-12-03. Retrieved 2014-08-01.
    This info is at this link if you want to verify it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life

So in summery, Shroud of the Avatar is not trying to copy the style of 2nd life,SotA has quest and objectives,which makes this theory of a are they making in in 2nd Life's image not even a possibility.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Numa like this.
  5. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Some of us like myself like killin monsters as much as the next guy, (we have had one of the most successful PVE events out there - and longest running!) BUT.... Also like "the second life stuff". @Mal Hari and I for instance are just as likely to hang around the bar and have a formal dinner as we are to gather 30 people together and raid bosses.

Im simply making the statement that not everyone falls into either one camp or the other.

6. BodyCount

BodyCount Avatar

Ultimate result of this post would to have a Dev say BodyCount, "Let's play an evening together and you can show me what you are talking about." (but I don't think they actually "PLAY" their game)

Secondary result, to realize there NEEDS to be a reason to log in and play this game over other games (for it to succeed) RIFT has better boss mobs hell even WOW has better boss mobs, crafting has been far more advanced in other games so this game doesn't offer a different crafting experience or unique experience. I like the old UO feel and that is the only reason I am still around my post is to simply hope to spur their minds (if they are even reading this) to understand that there are games out there that do each aspect they currently have... BETTER. Yes I might have to play 2 or 3 games to get those "Ultimate" experiences of each aspect, but I don't have to SINK near as much time into all 3 of those games to get those ultimate experiences as I am having to SINK into this game to achieve 1/3rd of the experience those other games give me of each aspect.

They need to stop listening to the community that still has 300 hps and hear what those who have 1,000 HPs are saying because THEY have put endless more hours into the game, unlike that person who has 300 hps and sadly a lot of those people who have 300 hps are the people who have spent big money into this game.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. mercster

mercster Avatar

Hey with gear I have about 400 HP :(

8. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Closing thread. If the OP is going to start immediately by attacking the developers and accusing us of not caring (which I removed as you can note in the thread), and then expects/hopes it to be a flamewar afterward, then the thread shouldn't be posted.

Please feel free to post again without the extra flamebaiting statements. You can get your point across perfectly fine without all of that, and the developers will find it easier to read as a bonus.

Also, please title threads to be specifically about the topic. "Not for the faint of heart" doesn't tell us anything about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.