Skill Raising Strategy?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Jarek Aumarr, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarek Aumarr

Jarek Aumarr Avatar

Hello all,

I just started playing again for the first time since final wipe. Now that we don't start with a huge pool of XP, what is a good strategy to keep the XP pool up while raising skills efficiently? Do you turn everything off while filling the pool, then everything back on to raise skills? Or do you focus on raising one or two skills at a time?

Thanks!

Lore

Beaumaris, Leelu and Vrunk Hrrk like this.
  2. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Party up with an experienced player. PM me I will help you.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello there and welcome back :). So for me I did go through and finally turn off most things. I noticed a huge difference in gaining an xp bonus back. When most skills are not at 40 you can't set them to maintain. I set all to maintain that I can except I take a tree at a time. Like I left my bludgeons tree on and turned everything else I could to maintain or not train. I was then able to get my very first GM the other day in bludgeons. So I hope this helps. When you enter an area just click the 'k' key to see your xp amount in the bottom lower right corner and you can then compare it as you adventure away. Best wishes to you and if I can help in any way I am Majoria in game. Best wishes to you. :)

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The necessity of a high XP pool is an illusion except for cases where you wish to train some skills outside of combat.

Why? Because no matter where you are.. or what you're doing.. skills will always require the same amount of XP to raise.. and you will get the same XP for your skills. So to a certain degree if you're waiting for your XP pool to build.. only to put that XP into your skills later.. it's time wasted.. XP could have already been into your skills. In fact, the sooner the XP is put into a skill the sooner your benefit from the skill increase and the faster you kill stuff and earn the XP.

So what you're really going for is where do you actively put your XP to get the most out of your time and skill increases. So when you start noticing your pool is stagnant or on the decline.. put skills on maintain and focus on the one(s) that will give you the most bang for your buck.

Building a high XP pool is great for when you want to train up something new before you use it in the field.. such as on a training dummy. Otherwise.. use it as you get it..

StarLord, Hornpipe, Laurana and 2 others like this.
  5. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

What I do is try and always keep my pool gaining while still training one or two skills at a time. A good way to get some in your pool to start with is to do a few quests, and you can get 500 a day from the Oracle test.

6. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

firesparx likes this.
  7. Jarek Aumarr

Jarek Aumarr Avatar

Thanks for all the great ideas! Quick questions about, [QUOTE="Building a high XP pool is great for when you want to train up something new before you use it in the field.. such as on a training dummy. Otherwise.. use it as you get it..[/QUOTE] Do you mean as long as there isn't zero left over? I feel like when I am at zero XP I may not be getting all he points I could. Right?

Thanks again,

Lore

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Do you mean as long as there isn't zero left over? I feel like when I am at zero XP I may not be getting all he points I could. Right?

Thanks again,

Lore[/QUOTE]

What happens is when you use a skill, it's a percentage of your pool that gets applied. So when your pool is low.. less XP is moved from the pool to the skill. This is why it seems to be beneficial to have a very high XP pool. Skills train up faster. This is where the 'illusion' comes from. People like seeing what appears to be fast progress.

Ideally, you want to see your pool remain about the same when you're killing stuff.. that means all the XP you're getting is being applied to your skills right away. If you're pool is dropping.. skill gains are going to be slower per use because you're using more XP than you're earning. You want to either train fewer skills go somewhere you can earn more XP to keep getting those skill increases.

Of course, if you're pool is going up.. that means you're earning more than you're using up. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. For example: I'm mostly a sword user but as a knight I want to eventually be proficient in all martial weapons.. so I go out and build up my XP pool.. come home, break out my bow and shoot up a training dummy for awhile to put that extra XP into ranged weapons skill until I feel confident I can use the bow effectively against the level of mobs I'd normally hunt. It would be a lot harder killing high level mobs with a weapon you have almost no skill in.. and it would take a lot longer to train up the bow starting with low level mobs because they aren't worth as much XP. Resulting in slower gains.

A lot of it is just understanding how XP is applied to skills..

9. Jarek Aumarr

Jarek Aumarr Avatar

Well Yard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.