pvp vs not flagged

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Raistlyn, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

A player that is flagged can be attacked by a non flagged player without warning....

This is not cool, if you take the risk of being flagged you should have a warning (agree to duel) before the attack....I love the fun and risk of being flagged but getting attacked by not flagged players without warning seems,,,,well,,,, lame

It seems being not flagged and attacking flagged players is a HUGE advantage....

So now I wont flag ever, and I will attack flagged players

@Berek please see this post....

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I disagree. I like the added danger.

And a lot of people DO play unflagged and jump in regularily. But after 1 fight.. your flagged in that zone... so can easily happen to you aswell.

*shrug* but i can see why people dont like it tho.

smack likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes. This is what will eventually happen as our population grows larger and larger. Players will assess the risk and know that it's just 100 times easier to jump someone that is flagged after you 1. Know where they are. 2. Know what they're doing. 3. See their stats. 4. Get the jump on them. 5. Strike when the opportunity is best for you, etc...

It's a horrible mechanic that must be removed for PVP to be balanced correctly. I have said this very loudly from the beginning. Unfortunately, it will not change until people get sick of being ganked by non-flagged players.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  4. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

Agreed 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Yup!! :) Been on this side of this situation for a long time.

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Nah.
    What is needed is a cast time / debuff for insta flagging.
    You want people to jump in and have fun. But you don't want that style too adventagous.
    So when going from unflagged there should be a cast time and a 2 min small debuff . So that PvP players can see you're switching and Can take advantage of the debuff.

7. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Is there a virtue penalty when attacking a flagged one when non-flagged ?

Anyway, it's a great way to plan ambushes :D

Numa and smack like this.
  8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I think this is it at best.

You maybe want insta fight , but I agree insta mustn't mean 1s , maybe like a switch to your alternate deck, so the already flagged PvPer can get aware of a new combatant around.

9. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

You want to get the bonus xp by being flagged pvp, That's the risk you have to take.

Fister Magee and Net like this.
  10. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

The added danger made sense in games like SWG. A covert Rebel or Imperial could always attack an Openly flagged player from the other side.

Maybe we get something like that here. In SWG only openly flagged people could use all the advantages of their faction though and being a covert member restricted access to some (Buffs etc). Like only an openly flagged player could use an AT Walker as pet etc.

11. Net

Net Avatar

Well, honestly, it is not that different from being jumped by stealthed pvPer or group. At least unlike stealthed group you know well ahead there is nonPvP player who might attack you.

The whole thing about PvP is that it is often one sided. You have advantage for taking player unaware (regardless whether you use stealth or flagging for the combat and so on). There is advantage of being higher level. Or being in larger group.

As of now, players who are flagged for PvP geet bonus xp, that is about the only real advantage to flagging. And if you attack flagged person, you flag yourself, get bonus and can be attacked in return unless you unflag. There is also chance to lose some items in PvP or pay to ransom for them, though it is not quite balanced and on the whole with few exceptions the ransom on items is very low. And you can always play without items you may lose. So on the whole it is about xp, there is no meaning to playing good guy or bad guy, at least not yet. You want bonus xp and soem PvP, you will get bonus xp and some PvP. You do not you do not flag. If you do not flag and attack PvPer, you may kill them, but you do not get any xp from the fight and the ransom may not be quite worth it and you are then flafgged yourself and risk being attacked.

I do not see it overly unbalanced, I still think it is bit harsh to have to unflag myself everytime I have to heal PvPer when doing PvE content:)

PS: I think the mechanic can be tweaked later on when there is some real meaning to PvP and there are perhaps some factions (at the very least Virtuous and Unvirtuous PvPers).

12. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

People always seem to be finding some reason to "not flag ever."

My preference is to make it as easy as possible for people to join the fight. I want someone to see me flagged and hop if they are feeling froggy. Who wants to wait around for them to go talk to the crazy oracle lady first? Not this girl.

Now my pet peeve is someone taking a pot shot then backing out of the zone if it looks like it won't go their way. Lame.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  13. chuck5086

chuck5086 Avatar

Sounds like by accepting PvP rules, you basically become a 'red'. For those of you that didn't play UO, that is a player that is a flagged criminal and murder. they have no rights to protection whatsoever, aside from the protection they can offer themselves. Good to know that i can attack PvP players though. I might assume that i could also pickpocket from these people without being flagged myself?

Numa, smack, Net and 1 other person like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

You first need to flag PvP, then pickpocket.

So instaflag and then afterwards pick'em clean.

Numa, smack and chuck5086 like this.
  15. chuck5086

chuck5086 Avatar

Ahh i see. Thank you for clearing that up for me. :D *looks sneaky*

add me in game if you want ( Abahinadan Flameblaster ).

16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Isn't that the same as just having a duel as if you were not flagged?

17. chuck5086

chuck5086 Avatar

What if they made it a cut like they do with muggers and stuff on the roads? Then you have the 25-85 seconds it takes to load as a warning

18. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Yeah! Or in my case they back out of the zone after getting their easy kill catching me in the back half-dead already from mobs (and run to the nearest place to unflag, then try to repeat). Stick around for awhile if you want to play.

smack, Net and Audacity like this.
  19. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

They said a lot of the PVP system is connected to the lore and story.. I guess we will not know until then.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  20. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Umm.. no?

The bonus isn't something most asked for to my knowledge and not why I want to play more PVP. The bonus was added by the SOTA team to try and get more people to PVP as a stop gap.

I don't mind the risk of PVP. But someone having NO RISK by sitting there and watching you fight mobs of creatues until you are severely wounded and then insta-flagging, murdering you, running to town and clearing their name is not the same bunch of apples here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.