Doug's (IronMaiden) Chemo Relief Fund - GoFundMe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thexedor Markhamm, Jan 11, 2017.

?

IronMaiden Chemo Relief Fund Cloak - Design Vote - Which is your favorite? (Shown Below in OP)

Poll closed Jan 19, 2017.
  1. 1

7 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. 2

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. 3

9 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. 4

9 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. 5

29 vote(s)
    30.2%
  6. 6

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. 7

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. 8

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  9. 9 - same as #8, but with the dark blue fur (image coming soon)

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  10. 10

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Hi TEK1,

I don't have any control over how Shroud Marketplace handles registrations. They've agreed to provide the commission free space and zero seller fees for this auction - which is awesome! I suppose you could create an account for the auctions and then remove it (after the auctions) if you do not want to be in their system. My shop, the AERIE Shoppe, is a special storefront they set up for me to handle charity goods.

You bring up an excellent point on the physical pledge rewards, and to be honest, I've been so busy prepping digital goods that I hadn't thought about it...but I will! We will be selling stripped accounts and I suppose those accounts would come with backer rewards. I will need to discuss with Iron Maiden the logistics of the LOTM stuff. He will be keeping that account to play (although it will not have any LOTM items left on it after the auctions). Considering the physical items are not released yet, it may prove tricky to auction them right away. After the GoFundMe drive ends (tomorrow) - I will be shifting focus to the auction logistics. I will have a much better answer for you then. :)

Numa likes this.
  2. ShroudMarketplace

ShroudMarketplace Avatar

Registration is required.
    In the past, I have inquired with other vendors as to whether or not they would be comfortable with people making purchases without registering. It was agreed that requiring registration will lessen the amount of potential fraud.
    As a site operator and as a vendor I fear the almighty chargeback, especially when goods/services have been provided.

3. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

So I guess the answer is no in alternate ways to participate in the auction?

Also, the original Akalabeth floppy disks and cassettes was definitely one of the main reasons to buy a LotM account and auctioning one of them would raise a substantial amount of funding.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Solazur and Blake Blackstone like this.
  4. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Hi All,

Thanks to all for coming to Dawn's Keep last night to support Iron Maiden! We raised $4000 dollars (with donations and auction outcomes) - WHICH IS AWESOME! I'll get final figures in the days ahead as Paypal transactions clear, etc. But, yeah, WE ROCKED IT!

Couple interesting bits of event analytics:

1. We stressed the instance for sure - 124 attendees during primetime! WOW!
    2. We gave away 52 Prizes in Total! Winners listed below!
    3. We raised +/- $1500 in Additional GFM Donations During the Telethon
    4. The Dev-Item Auctions Raised +/- $2500

PRIZE Winners: COTO Giveaway & NBNN Giveaways
    (please message me in-game to claim your rewards)

[​IMG]
    For physical rewards (Coins) please PM me your mailing address, por favor.

Relics By Rild Giveaway:
    (please email Ben at ben@relicsbyrild.com with your name, in-game name, and address to receive your prizes!)

[​IMG]

Thanks to everybody who came out to support the cause!

Please PM with questions regarding your prizes, otherwise I'll see you in-game to deliver.

PLEASE NOTE: some prizes like the Flamberge 5 Packs are not available until R39. :)

Official Sponsors:

The Aerie Fund - Good Works Through Gaming - the offspring of the IMCRF initiative. My 501c3 non-profit organization will seek to further help other avatars in desperate need. Stay tuned for more information on future initiatives, and follow us @AerieFund on twitter.

Shroud Marketplace
    - a third party site for players to buy and sell their SoTA goods and services. Thanks to ShrMa for giving Aerie Fund a commission/fee-less space to do good works!

Relics By Rild - the place to go for all of your officially-licensed SoTA swag. Thanks to Ben for donating so many wonderful prizes for the giveaways tonight.

Sir Frank's Mint - Frank has donated a chestful of physical CoTO's for us to give away this evening. If you haven't seen Frank's work, you should. It's incredible.

SoTAGustball.com - Wanna play some gustball? Good, here's where you start. Join a league and test your mettle on the field. Special thanks to @Sheamus McGuinness for coordinating the tourney tonight.

Other Thanks: The Deco Divas for their amazing telethon lot design, NBNN News for wall to wall coverage, Portalarium for their support during this process, @Amber Raine for telethon music, and to all of YOU who have donated mats, resources and gold to make this all possible! THANK YOU!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  5. ShroudMarketplace

ShroudMarketplace Avatar

My apologies for borking the auctions up. I made a change that screwed up the display of the timer expirations for the auctions and it wasn't reflected on the server side.

I wish it was as simple as notifying everyone individually about the status of the auctions, however, some people have already paid for auctions that they have won when the auctions were force closed.

You can check the status of the auctions that you bid on by visiting your auctions archive by visiting the following link: https://www.shroudmarketplace.com/index.php?p=user_auctions

The screw up was entirely mine and I apologize again.

6. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Mistakes happen and i appreciate you and everyone else involved.

Mortanius, Lesni, aldraren and 4 others like this.
  7. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

By Tor, Lesni and Barugon like this.
  8. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

We'll get this tightened up prior to the big auction. Thanks for working diligently to fix the issues and for providing this initiative a fee-free/commission-free space to utilize! :)

Sean Silverfoot, By Tor and StarLord like this.
  9. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

That's the spirit. :)

10. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Hi Everybody,

As many of you know, our in-game IMCRF telethon was a smashing success. During the course of the broadcast, we brought in $4000 of new donation revenue for Iron Maiden ($3000 more than our initial goal)! WOOT! We also gave away over 50 prizes to winners who not only donated to the campaign, but also joined us in game and on-line to participate in the telethon. Please check this thread for the winners' list and instructions on how to claim your prizes.

And yes, we hit yet another Make Thex Suffer Stretch Goal *shudder* by crossing the 20K marker (by a mile). In fact, our total donation initiative has raised $23,825 total to date! ($21,325 raised in GoFundMe) and an additional $2,500 (raised via the Developer Crafted Auction). The latter will be Paypal'd to Doug directly to avoid the 5% GFM fee. I will post a copy of the transfer receipt one this is done for your review.

So yeah, we're a little over $1000 away from my initial goal of $25K in one month's time (how cool is that?). And, yes, the telethon marked the 'official' end of the first phase of the IMCRF (the GoFundMe drive). However, since we are so close (and I am a completionist) I've decided to leave the GoFundMe active for one last week (until Sunday, Feb 19th) while we prepare for the Iron Maiden Holdings Auction (phase 2, and final, of the IMCRF initiative). Donations are still trickling in, so I am happy to see if we can get a nose over the finish line. So, if you haven't donated yet, want to donate in somebody else's name to get 'em a cloak, or know some people that would like to donate - here is a small extension to receive rewards for participating ($25 donations for IMCRF Cloaks / $100 donations for access to the Holdings Auction - and yes, donations do stack). To reiterate, this deadline of 2/19/17 is the hard and final one. :)

So speaking of Make Thex Suffer Stretch Goals, here is the latest for your enjoyment: Fish Head Challenge. Enjoy (but...don't watch while eating, mmm'kay? - you've been warned)!

Thanks, eveybody! We're creating good works through gaming and making a real difference in Doug's life!

-Thex

CC:

@DarkStarr @Berek @Lord British

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Asclepius, Zhoc, Mortanius and 6 others like this.
  11. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Also, a very special thank you to PaxLair! They kindly raised 60K in game gold for the IMCRF during their Festival of Love over the weekend! Amazing event & amazing gesture of love!

@Sean Silverfoot @Winfield

12. Omegaflux

Omegaflux Avatar

Bravo Thex!! I don't think I can say I have ever laughed as much watching someone else eat before.
    Excellent video.
    Stay strong!
    ~ Omegaflux

13. Kron Caledon

Kron Caledon Avatar

Thex - great job!

I have to say, watching that video, I did wonder what would happen if you'd combined the pepper and tuna head eating challenges... :)

Maybe that should be a new SoTA food recipe: "Tuna head with hot peppers"

14. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Guys,

I sent the cash to Doug for the Developer Item Auction - want to keep everything transparent with you all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So yeah, the total funding raised to date is:

$21,370 (GoFundMe total) + $2473.67 (Dev item Auction) = $23,843.67

$1,156.33 to go to hit our 25k fundraising goal. Deadline: Sunday 2/19/17

So...if you wanna see my head shaved (and I know you do) we need to push just little further. Share the word, donate on your friends' behalf, or increase your donation amount (remember: $100 in total donations gains you an invite to the Iron Maiden Holdings Auction - and all donations stack). And, if you're a new donor - join the coolest gaming community outreach initiative in history: $25 or more gets you the sweetest cloak in-game to date: the IMCRF cloak.

So, who's with me? Can we do it? I bet we can.

A very special thanks to @DarkStarr @Lord British and @matpsch for donating crafted goods. As you can see - it made a HUGE IMPACT.

-Thex

Bom, Numa, Mortanius and 10 others like this.
  15. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I don't know how realistic this is. I was thinking, it might be nice once in a while to hear how he's doing.

Something else I've come across. I've been reading of people using Cannabis oil to treat/eliminate their cancer. Don't know how legal it would be where Doug lives. In many states it's been legalized for medical use. Something to consider.

Mortanius and Thexedor Markhamm like this.
  16. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Great point! Sentinel! I'm in game now with him - I should post a status report on his condition (if he's comfortable discussing it). :)

Mortanius and Sentinel2 like this.
  17. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I saw IronMaiden on the overworld map just last night near Ulfheim... although, I didn't have a chance to whisper or chat.

Sentinel2 and Thexedor Markhamm like this.
  18. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

You are all amazing! I couldn't be happier seeing how we've come together around such an honorable and worthy cause.

19. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Thanks, @Sentinel2 for the reminder to provide an update on Doug's condition. Things have been happening so fast over the last month (cloaks, telethons, auctions) that I have been derelict in the most important of duties: keeping everybody informed about Iron Maiden (the person). Apologies on this. Sincerely.

I spoke with Doug at length the last few days as we moved hundreds of items from his 7 accounts to prepare for the auction. We normally don't discuss the negative stuff, but I did ask him today where he was physically and emotionally. I'll share with you what I can (and is appropriate).

1. Doug was blown away by the telethon. Made so many new friends that night, and really felt both humbled and honored that so many of us care. We were all, until 30 days ago, strangers, and now we are all part of community striving to make a difference.

2. Doug, who had not played much (until recently) is reinvigorated and excited to keep playing with us (don't worry, I am making sure he maintains an account, a lot, and some special holdings) to continue his adventure in NB. One of my favorite quotes from him came while he watched his first-ever gustball tourney at the telethon:

"This gust ball thing..I LIKE IT."

2. Doug is undergoing rigorous chemotherapy. He is positive and upbeat about it, saying that the chemo itself is 'not so bad.' However, he has lost 50 pounds since December due to his liquid-only diet. He's looking forward a better diet and to stop losing weight so rapidly.

3. The good news is that Iron Maiden is responding well to treatments and may be moved to a more nutritious liquid diet soon. Right now he can only eat broth and Ensure drinks. If things keep improving he will be able to blend up heartier soup and even enjoy some ice cream. He hasn't had any sort of 'real' food (besides broth and Ensure) since 12/23 - two days before last Christmas. Talk about a hard adjustment.

4. Emotionally and mentally Doug is tough and sharp. He's determined to beat the beast. He draws energy and inspiration from his grand kids and sees them often. He is also heartened by our community and our effort to help. He told me that "no matter what happens" this sort of charitable activism needs continue in SoTA.

D@*n right it does, @IronMaiden. :) And, it will.

Here's to keeping Doug in our thoughts and hearts! Our support further bolsters his spirit (and our own).

-Thex

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Acred, Berek, Luffy and 14 others like this.
  20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Continued prayers for you, Iron Maiden! We are with you!

K1000 and Thexedor Markhamm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.