Crown value in gold coins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Why do the gold crowns that are purchased in the add-on store have zero value? If that's an attempt to keep people from cashing them in for gold coin then its a total fail (although I can't see why anyone would want to cash them in for 250 gold each). As it is, I could buy gold crowns in the add-on store, trade them at an obsidian potion merchant for any other type of crown and then sell those to an NPC merchant.

2. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

In the initial introduction of gold crowns they did have the ability to be traded in directly for gold. However, Portalarium was called out on promises they made during the original Kickstarter of not ever selling gold directly to players along with not creating a gold standard premium currency to sell micro-transactions. Unfortunately the premium currency has remained in the form crowns along its micro-transactions and has predictably expanded in size and scope to reinforce it truly being the gold standard.

The only minor victory in that push back was Portalarium reversing the ability to trade gold crowns directly for gold. However as you pointed out, there is a very easy work around in that process, but its just enough I guess to still say they are honoring their promise in not selling gold directly to players.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

All crowns should have the same value, whether that's 1250, 250 or 0, I don't really care.

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

there's also the things-bought-from-the-store-have-zero-value-so-they-can't-become-ransom thing.

Net, mercster, Numa and 6 others like this.
  5. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

every interview I've found with Richard from during Kickstarter that addresses this issue says they prefer sales go through them and they weren't certain if that meant gold sales are not. It comes up during both Markee Dragon interviews he did in March & April of 2013.

I'm not sure if anyone can cite where a promise was made regarding not selling currency, but if necessary I can find Richard talking about possibly selling currency in the Markee interviews

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Spoon likes this.
  6. Selene

Selene Avatar

Being able to buy an unlimited amount of gold in game that is generated instantly out of thin air by the game itself (not earned by players) is bad for inflation. As it is now, Port can ratchet down on the players' ability to make gold in the game. If they sold currency themselves (de facto by selling gold crowns with a reasonable value to NPC merchants), they would lose a good portion of that control.

Net, FrostII, Alley Oop and 1 other person like this.
  7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

If selling COTO to npc vendor for 250 gp is such a huge concern, I'll be more than happy to buy them at 251 GP to solve the inflation problem. Everybody's happy, eh?

8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

These forums are redicoulous.
    Just filled with trolls and people trying to take advantage of you.

Dont listen to that guy hes clearly trying to rip you off.

I've got a vendor in Dawns Keep that will take all those gold or other types of COTOs for FAIR MARKET VALUE of 550g EACH!
    I loose out on the listing cost, but im willing to eat that just to prevent you guys from getting scammed.

9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

If your real world currency allows you to buy COTO for less than you can buy IGG, you can always flip COTO in game for IGG that way. I'm still waiting to see what happens when vendors are able to accept COTO as a form of remittance for buy/sell orders in game. That is if Portalarium is actually going to move forward with that plan. It could actually strengthen the COTO - because as it stands, the COTO is just another commodity - IGG is surprisingly a more stable premium currency thanks to lousy drop rates in game and the player market.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  10. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I believe the intent was to use the Coto's more to move money between players not to add currency to the game. So if a player sells to a vendor and receives game created gold then the economy can be inflated from Rl world cash. They said this was more player A buys a Coto from Player B. No new gold in game but Player A still got gold for their cash purchase. Not sure how much cash you get from vendors if you trade it in for another crown or potion then sell it to a vendor, but it may be a loophole they should close.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  11. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Or you could sell them on pretty much any public vendor between 1700g to 3000g cause if you are really thinking they are only worth 250g in game you haven't looked at a public vendor lately. If you however want to sell them for less then the market value buy all means contact any of the persons who listed them for less.... Ultimately they are worth 3500g in taxes on lots so that's the best bang for the buck gold wise if you are paying taxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.