How item based is PvP in SotA?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Armar, Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armar

Armar Avatar

Hello,

besides the known problems with the looting system like store armor and weapons not beeing lootable, how item based is the PvP in SotA in general? Ive heard about some types of equipment that kinda make me feel very uneasy...

cheers

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Ive never botherd switching outa my normal gear.

Im severly under armored for what i could have, and run +3 - +6 hard fortified leather. With a +7 maple bow.

I seem to hold my own for most part.
    I think the only time ive really seen gear be important is for mages, and having that massive focuse % boost.

So id say..
    On AVERAGE and ignoring that top 10, 50x gm players..
    30% level and skill level based.
    20% gear based
    50% personal skill and situational awareness/tactical/surprise/first hit advantage.

3. Armar

Armar Avatar

4. Gix

Gix Avatar

My experience is different than what you describe; let's throw numbers in the air:
    70% level and skill level.
    10% gear.
    10% player skill.
    10% luck.

Here's an example:
    On day ONE after the last wipe (I use this example because the discrepancy between levels ~should~ be lower), I attacked a dude in Soltown that was busy trading with an NPC. He was wearing the same kind of armour as I did so I figured, with the element of surprise, being inside a enclosed (tight) building, I might get a kill. A cheap kill, but a kill nonetheless. Karma be damned, we were both PvP flagged so we were going to do PvP.

I barely scratched him.

After a couple of hits (long enough for him to realize what was going on), he turned around and shot me in the face with his bow. I died in 3-4 hits.

"Well, Gix" you might ask "if you guys were roughly at the same level, doesn't that prove that levels don't matter as much?"... well no. I'll tell you why:
    Like him, I started my character with a bow but, during this encounter, I had already switched to a sword (because, screw the tutorial). It doesn't take long to level up a new skill (like "blade"). Let's presume that I got it to level 10 or so before the encounter. Like I did, my opponent starts archery at level 20... meaning he was probably anywhere from level 20-to-40.

I got wretched... Because of a 10-to-30 (or so) point difference. "But Gix!" you might think, "the leveling curve flattens out in the end-game!" Yeah... that only means that there's more or less a "finish line" (a level cap) when it comes to leveling skills... but that doesn't negate the dependency of the skill level.

To this day (I'm a mid-level-range player) I have not come anywhere close to killing any of my opponents. Not once. Even when they're naked. Why? Most likely because they play more often than I. There are people in this forum that consider themselves "newbies" yet they have 90STR, 60DEX, 50INT and over 700 health points.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that, unless you're evenly matched, your player skill will determine the outcome of the battle. This is an RPG folks, the guy with the biggest number (gold, equipment, level, etc) will always come on top. Anyone saying otherwise is already at the end-game regardless of whenever or not they have any GMs.

To answer the OP's question: items don't make too much of an impact. May luck favour the bold.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    2112Starman, Armar, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I didn't switch out of starter stat gear until I was an adv lvl 80. There was a noticeable difference in everything - all my stats jumped way way up when I stepped into crafted kit for PVP. I've seen a big difference in my game, even if I'm still getting handled by top rated players, lol.

Numa likes this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I think it depends if you look at it while leveling to endgame (where does it start, when are you endgaming 80, 100, what is high end 100+ 150+)

I think it flattens 80+
    From there skills do not much more damage , healing etc. But if you have many 80+ or 100 the sum of all small boni are what it makes a difference.

For everything below 80 and not from an Endgames view skill levels matters a lot.
    Stats and HP/ Focus matter a lot.

If you have 400 HP and your opponent has 900, well ...
    PvP while leveling to have main skills 80 and 900 HP/ Focus you need to be lucky to not attack someone who has already more skilled than you.

Ahead 100 I think skill numbers let's say 100 versus 150 isn't that big , but if the other have 5x 150 and you 5x 100 it's maybe again a difference.

Garfunkel Humperdinck and Gix like this.
  7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

80 is not endgame - it's where you stop getting ganked by everyone and start holding your own... a little. :D

Vox Aquila and Stundorn like this.
  8. Silis

Silis Avatar

The addition of artifacts is causing an unwelcome skew in gear dependency in pvp. It is a bit concerning. Overall I'm 95 fighting folks 10-15 levels higher in better gear and holding my own. The ring of lich kind has become a stupid problem for pvp though.

Numa likes this.
  9. Gix

Gix Avatar

Except that's also linked to skill level... since "healthy" and "raise intellect" are skills that are competing with active skills for XP.

Stundorn likes this.
  10. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well I find that the new gear finally brought viable builds to light except the Earth Mage Heavy Armor type for PVP. Still the school has no downside, except there aren't any artifacts for it yet ;)

Damian Killingsworth and Numa like this.
  11. Fizzlebang

Fizzlebang Avatar

The power gap between levels is a bit insane, and arguably provides the largest benefit to any one person. PvE or PvP. It's not impossible to beat someone higher than you. But, it is absolutely an uphill battle, and if they have 15+ levels on you? You can almost forget about it. Again...not impossible, but statistically they have the advantage and will win more, simple as that. This is the main reason why I just do not PvP in SotA anymore. If you want to be on the competitive edge of PvP, you MUST grind and continue grinding. There is no real "this is where the game actually begins" sort of end point. So, just be prepared for that going into PvP. If you are comfortable with that, more power to you and have fun! :D

EDIT: I never answered OP's question. >.< How item based is PvP? Not too bad. If you have some moderately enchanted and MW gear, you can do fine with that. So long as you are on an equal field, level wise.

Vox Aquila, Stundorn, Belgtor and 3 others like this.
  12. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Just wanted to add - people shouldn't think that store purchased armor and weapons, houses, etc... being non-lootable is a known problem. In the write-up for the new two-handed sword being sold in the add-on store right now, it's being advertised as "non-lootable in PVP". All that starter stat gear is protected by design - and it's good enough to carry anyone to level 80, imo.

13. Gix

Gix Avatar

Well, it kinda is. If they're re-enforcing the idea that items can be stolen from you or looted off of your corpse EXCEPT those ones... then, yeah, it's kinda of a problem considering it's circumventing the system.

...it's worse if you can get by using them up to level 80. I'm sure the entire crafting/economy people are already losing their minds over this. Because it's circumventing that system as well.

The only way to alleviate this issue is if crafted gear is superior enough to warrant using them instead of store-purchased items... which would mean that, to OP's question, items would need to have a greater role in combat than they currently do.

Stundorn likes this.
  14. Armar

Armar Avatar

Where could i read about artifacts (patch notes?) and what stats has the "Ring of the Lich King"?

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

This is more like it!

I know a 100 GM guy and I can tell you that he does have skill though. He is a master of knowing the current uber skills and utilizing them (which is easy to do when you have 100 GM's). Every release something is nurfed and buffed and they know what to run which is currently OP. I fought a guy last wed in League who dropped my 900 hp in about 10 seconds. The new uber is death ray with the lich ring and wands that give +20 death each (think about 200 skill+ in death alone) . This guy poped me 5 times and killed me. One was a death ray for 271 HP that healed him for 210ish. But this is something that is totally new to this release and they already use it. Ive heard you can do the same thing with Earth now, 2 wands at +20 earth each makes you a monster.

Yes it will probably get nurfed, and yes they get pissed at me for some reason when I point out these uber things but I also think doing this is weak.

I always claim that if you put someone up against me at my adv level (90), I always got a good shot at killing them. If they are lvl 95... barely got a chance. Just imagine the difference in our passive skills.

16. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

100% forum pvp

17. null2

null2 Avatar

I have a few sets of gear that I use to max out different types of damage, I just took some numbers on them.

Adventurer level 101, almost all magic glyphs I have are level 80+ no GMs in any magic glyphs.
    NAKED STATS:
    HP: 664
    Focus: 608
    Strength: 74
    Dex: 62
    Int: 54

STATS WEARING PVP GEAR (only gear, no buffs):
    HP: 777 (+113|+17%)
    Focus: 719 (+111|+18%)
    Strength: 113 (+39|+52%)
    Dex: 78 (+16|+25%)
    Int: 77 (+23|+42%)

GLYPH DAMAGE:
    "With Gear" means 2x +attune and +% damage wands. No buffs, just gear and innates.

Obsidian Arrow Damage:
    Naked: 27-101
    With Gear: 71-249

Death Ray Damage:
    Naked: 19-41
    With Gear: 75-166

Ice Arrow Damage:
    Naked: 23-73
    With Gear: 53-168

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  18. Necrothaftis

Necrothaftis Avatar

IMO the breakdown is

Skill 50% (now when i say skill i dont mean "twitch" speeds and button mashing -im talking skill rotations, movement in battle, use of defensive wipe buffs)
    Gear 25% ( sure stats are good and help but ive killed enough over geared players to realise that gear is a false haven in a sea of storms)
    level 15 % ( of course lvl 100 is better than level 20) but this is a mute point because if u are dumb enough to pvp with low level skills you deserve all the pain it brings)
    luck 10% (crits are crits they can speed along the dps and if u get 3-4 in a row anything is possible if not probable)

cu in death

Necrothaftis

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  19. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

If you are <≈10 levels apart from your enemy in a one on one battle (assuming all starting from full health and focus, buffed), gear plays a significant role in your ability to achieve victory. This is especially true for pure mages that rely on attunement.

In most cases of PvP in the field, there are many other factors to consider. Take little or no comfort in having "good" gear. Gear does not make or break your ability to win.

Keep in mind, however, that the best of the best in SotA PvP use every advantage possible. This includes player crafted +10 gear pieces among other things like potions, t5 and t4 foods, devotional blessings, etc.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Not to mention if you see someone before they see you. Buffs > gear and skill stacks.
    I can 1 -2 skill with 5 stacks someone my level regardless of gear if they arnt buffed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.