1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 39 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Ouch. Well, call it whatever you want, but it's "exactly the same as an !". No matter how lovingly you croon at it. ;)

I totally understand the comments that "you can just turn it off" but man... this was such a hardcore staple of the basic design of this game and all of RG's stated beliefs.

What, if anything, has not been compromised/changed/rolled back from the original KS at this point?

Bubonic juggles

2. chuck5086

chuck5086 Avatar

I think it would be cool if you could ask the town crier where NPCs are. Like "Where could one find a MAGE TRAINER" (Mage trainer being the trigger word) to which the town crier could respond with something like: "I've heard of a GENDERHERE over by the south docks by the name of ________. Try speaking to them".

And he could point you in the right direction to the NPC, or at least have you searching the right area.

Awesome work guys!

StarLord, Lace, Sir Cabirus and 3 others like this.
  3. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Love these
    love this
    and this.

4. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

I agree that the new quest change is odd.

One thing I enjoy about SotA is the sense of exploration (might not be much so far), but making it so you are just told where quest are is a crazy idea and I thought SotA was above that.

Yes it can be toggled off, but is it off by default? Having to be told where to go to get a quest ruins any sense of exploration or communtion with the community in help with finding a quest objective.

Maybe have more consistency in quests. If you talk to a guard 99% of them will have leads to people in towns that need help. Or maybe the guard knows the mobs in the areas close by are causing trouble so go bring some spider legs or w.E back. Or you go to the tavern to consistently get rumors and quest leads.

Those should be the blue glow or !, the knowledge that most quest can be linked from a tavern or guard.

Knowing that when you go to a town if you talk with a guard and there are quests to do he will have some form of leads, or going to the tavern.

Right now it's kinda in game, some guards have leads, some taverns have quests, I'm talking about it being a reliable source of finding things to do when you go to a new town.

Kid yourself all you want, this is totally a ! and I thought that was something Port was trying not to do. This seems like a rushed solution that hopefully will be improved on. But also the attention span in gaming seems to have sadly shifted further than I thought.

Other than that I'm excited for r39

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

All spell sounds are refactored but life is not listed? One of those healing sounds really sounds laborious. I hope Elads Lighthouse gets interesting underground additions or a fighting scene somewhere on the island at some point too!

Love this release!

6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Any chance you could say that in English ?

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, I couldn't decipher that one either.

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@DarkStarr
    Regarding the following part of the R39 Notes:
    Even 'tho this new feature will have an On/Off toggle, there are some who still have a concern that it won't be Off by default.
    Could you please tell them that the default will be Off, so we can move on here ..... ?

Black Tortoise and Numa like this.
  9. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

@DarkStarr - Looking at the new Statues in the store it says "you will need a property to place these in game". Will they be able to be placed in a POT? I'd bet you'd get more sales if you can (and I'd be really disappointed if you can not).

FrostII likes this.
  10. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Yes they are POT flagged. Will fix.

11. Infineon

Infineon Avatar

12. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Ancev, Numa and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

@DarkStarr
    Any chance of hearing the reasoning behind the threat / aggro of tamed pets going on owner?
    Doesn't this just increase the uselessness of taming?

And also since focuse regen is based off your total... having a tamed pet out makes you even more useless. Is this being addressed too?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    cyathome and Kaisa like this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I disagree. Kickstarter backers may be invested in not knowing where things are, but I would bet that newly acquired players think it is simply overlooked.

To quote a friend when he joined "I can't wait for them to implement the minimap."

I then had to explain how we are just very hardcore here, and isn't that a wonderful thing? We both agreed it is very wonderful. Unfortunately, most players won't have someone with them to explain our hardcoreness, and if it is in the options they won't find it until after they have gotten frustrated, maybe left. No new players will leave because they hate quest markers.

Unfortunately, they will leave if they don't get engaged, as my friend did. I think he may not have been telling the truth about how wonderful it is to be hardcore.

I have a good feeling that this blue field may be a critical step in bringing him back.

Pro tip, if it's on when first get in after the patch, quickly turn it off before it lowers your hardcoreness. If it gets a hit in, you can use one of the maps of Ardoris to try to navigate, and your hardcoreness will be healed. That's what I do, works every time. ;)

(keyword TRY to navigate: I'm lost, but I'm lost in Ardoris trying to read Runic lost. And that is hardcore.)

Budner, Barugon, Numa and 5 others like this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Really, "concerns" that the quest flag isn't turned off by default?!
    Wow. Before I get myself moderated let me say..... I do not agree with this "concerns".
    If I am concerned at all it's about the broken economy or the still broken skill trees.
    We as a community really have an awkward focus sometimes.

Beside that I think there is a lot of nice new stuff in this release. And a couple of fresh mechanics that have a lot of potential. Good work port.

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, well.... DS agrees with you ( and I couldn't care less whether it's defaulted On or Off, personally ) so I'm assuming that it will be On by default and those whose "immersion" may be momentarily broken, or who think that this goes against anything in the kickstarter will have to simply TURN IT OFF IMMEDIATELY.

Sometimes I think some people are constantly looking for a way to make Port look bad, and this new feature has unfortunately fallen into that category.

For the record, I'm very happy that Port found a way to help the new without really breaking ANY so-called promises..... I think the addition of quest "indicators" that are available if desired, is GREAT !

Vladamir Begemot, Lace and majoria70 like this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Earl Atogrim von Draken
    I'm interested in why you feel the economy is "broken"...
    I'm not baiting here at all, but I don't think the economy will be solvent much before final release.
    There's so much that will effect the economy that hasn't seen the light of day yet.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Well that's an entirely different beast of topic.
    Just no to derail the post: in my opinion you are of course right but as well wrong ^^
    There were a couple of good topics about it a few months ago. Maybe it's time to start a new one ;-)

Vladamir Begemot and Numa like this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok.... I'd love to hear from people about what they think is right and what they think is wrong with the way things are set up and functioning to date..... ;)

I'm too tired tonight to think about starting a new thread, so go for it.... :cool:

Numa likes this.
  20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

There are others that may leave bacause they see the strange decorations of players houses in the world which might destroy their immersion. May we now please get an option to toggle players houses on and off?

NPCs could wave or yell to indicate that they are important, they could be marked on the map. But we get a radiocative glow which is exactly like an "!". A typical MMO feature in a game that in the beginning didn't want to be a MMO. Sorry to have to say that but what was this about keeping word to word to the description of the Kickstarter announcement?

Everything regarding the quests and the story in this game uses the simplest means. Instead of a having an interesting and non intrusive but immersive system to have players notice important NPCs we get a blue glow. Wow.
    Instead of having real complex quests with interesting quest mechanics and twists we have "run-talk-read". Instead of getting real visible consequences during quests with NPCs and scenes that change, we get - nothing.
    Instead of getting party-members whose skills and inventory/gear we can manage we get talking pets.

But instead we have a very complex housing and decoration system, we have gustball and sychronous dancing. We have grinding and a player driven economy.
    Instead of having interesting overland encounters with quests and exciting things that can happen we have a merchant or enemies.
    Instead of having really cool sieges that really attack cities and tell a great story, we have a gamey system in which the left path is for noobs and all of the good players attack a catapults and an army that never invades the city and never poses a threat.

Eveything regarding the adventure and quest part seems to be shoved in in the simplest way. Really sorry to have to say this.
    And now getting this radioactive glow around important NPCs instead of having them wave, walk towards the player or use some other immersive method to catch the attention of the players just confirms this for me. Quests, adventure and immersion have taken the backseat since the beginning in this "story-driven game"...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.