PSA: You can stop grinding for patterns now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Innascual Inch, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Me, grind? Never! What an obscene suggestion!

3. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

1% is just way too low. All this will do is make people buy them from the Add-On store. I wanted the pattern fort he Elven Woodwind Bow, but I'm not spending all that time for a 1% chance to get a pattern, I have better things to do. @DarkStarr can we revisit this rate if this is true? I mean, 10%, 25% sure...but 1% or less? Really?

I *was* excited for patterns...now, not so much.

4. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

They should be rare, I like it. You don't want everyone running around with an Elven Woodwind Bow do you?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

If you can find something cool enough to want it's pattern:

First, you have to have a high salvage level.
    Next you get a one percent chance of getting a pattern.
    Then, once applied it decays with the weapon... right?

Are the patterns re-salvageable?
    I think I'll stick with being an artifact hunter - those won't be as difficult to find. :D

6. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

No, but 1% chance? Really? I'm all for rarity, but that seems excessive for something that is cosmetic.

7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Totally agree with @Raistlyn ...If they drop at a 10-25% rate within a couple weeks(if that) they will flood the game, with every archer looking exactly the same. With a 1% chance on a particular pattern dropping, you will start to see a lot more diversity in player cosmetics. Additionally, low drop rates add longevity to games by giving players long-term goals to strive for. Instant-gratification will basically ruin the pattern system and also make the items so common that the value of them will drop like a rock.

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

wow thay actually made them rare? what is with that .

at least now they vcan see if it is worth it they can always increase the rate, they shouldn't but at lerast they can look at it now and a few players have not already gotten them all.

1 day and complaints means they did somthign right

STICK

WITH

IT

keep somethign rare.

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Rare is good, while killing I normally end up with 30 or 40 bows,staves or what ever anyways. That puts me in the range of 1 pattern drop in 3 days, imop thats plenty.

10. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

If they weren't extremely rare, there would be no market at all for them because everyone could easily just get there own. There are already a ton of these weapons out there, most of them have been dropping for a long time.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Leelu like this.
  11. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

That's fine...I just won't grind for them. Won't buy them either, I'd rather spend my time doing other stuff. But hey, if people love the rarity and grinding for it, that's great (not being sarcastic, everyone is entitled to their opinion).

Retro, Roycestein Kaelstrom and Leelu like this.
  12. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Looking over the actual numbers, I think they are where we expect them to be. Around 50 patterns have been found in the first 24 hours. That puts them a hair behind the frequency of artifact drops. We'll keep an eye on them but they are pretty close to our target number.

13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Seems pretty rare for something that's only aesthetic. Kind of a shame, oh well.

14. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

seems hard to tell what is a reasonable drop rate by the overall number of patterns dropped alone, without respect to number of attempts.

Since people (like me) have been saving up salvage for a couple weeks or longer and went through them on day 1.

But I will press on because, if it's anything like taming, 1% is closer to 10%.

15. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I am glad to see that patterns are rare.. but rarer than artifacts? Seems like it should be the other way around.

16. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

It seems like it might be a little rare like, if you compare how many Lich axes you can get in an hour versus how many Vile Halberds you can get in an hour....

My worries would be that I would nuke all my good items just to find out the rate is extremely rare, which thankfully I didn't do, and THEN the rate goes up r40... :D

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Probably why I never got an elven woodwind longbow pattern on QA for salvaging countless numbers of them. :(

18. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Please reconsider the rarity of patterns: Artifacts last a long time and are objects of considerable power (some at least). Patterns are a one-time use cosmetic item. Does not seem balanced to me.

By Tor and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Why does everything have to be an easy button? Cosmetic or not, this creates a market for something a lot of people don't want to waste their time with. It creates rarity and encourages specializing to the point where someone could try to make gathering and selling these a sole profession. This is the type of stuff we need!

20. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

I'm not asking for an easy button.

Hear me out.

Last night I spent 2 hours in DR grinding undead. I killed 20-30 lich fighters to get one axe. (This was before I knew the approximately 1% chance for a pattern to drop when salvaging.)

A ~1% pattern drop chance equals ~1 pattern for every 100 items that are salvaged.

So in the case above, that means you need to kill ~2500 lich fighters to get a single pattern.

A single pattern that can be used one time.

A single pattern that only changes the look of an item.

In the same 2 hours last night, I got an artifact. That I can sell for 10's of thousands of gold.

Seems very unbalanced to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.