Patcher needs rebuild from ground up, it's embarrassing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oyjord Hansen, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psteg

psteg Avatar

That is what I am using. Everything else I download gets me 6 - 8 mg. So it is not my server, computer or pigeon.

2. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Change your download server in Settings > Downloads > Download Region. I'm in Australia, but Peru is a great option sometimes.

3. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Why do people think they ever "own" a game?

I've got some registration cards here from software back in the 80's that tell me all I ever purchased was a license to use the product and that I'm bound by a code of conduct as described by the end user policy.

Steam is not a subscription nor a service. It is a distribution platform. Want proof? Have a look at what happened to them here in Australia. You can thank us for refund policies later.

4. mercster

mercster Avatar

At some point it became the "cool" thing to do to hate on Steam. It meant you were some sort of renegade civil rights genius. For some reason, it has continued.

Oh also, there's some idea that if you run Steam, you're confused by installing software and need to let a program handle it for you. Who knows...old memes die hard.

5. DeadSpider

DeadSpider Avatar

I agree, the download speed is very poor the majority of the time for me as well. 1-300kbps poor :(

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

If there wasn't a torrent running then the patcher wouldn't be downloading anything. It's all torrents, the patcher is just a mediocre torrent client.

Alley Oop likes this.
  7. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Thank god for the steam patcher. I usually only use the SotA patcher if I can let it run overnight. Huge waste of time otherwise.

FrostII likes this.
  8. maverick77

maverick77 Avatar

61 MB/s average; high of 110 MB/s on Steam. Yay fiber connection!

discipleofweb likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

MB/s = megabytes per second.
    Mb/s = megabits per second.

There's a big difference. Are you sure your connection is that fast (110 megabytes per second would require something close to a gigabit connection)?

Net, FrostII and Bow Vale like this.
  10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Yes, it certainly has become a bit of a hipster thing in the gaming community. It's like anything that gets too big or popular; a certain kind of person needs to find reason why they are somehow above it/better than it.

11. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

I normally get 3.6 MB/sec on my Fiber connection for updates. Lately, I've been fighting to get 200 KB/sec.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  12. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Could be some many things affecting the speed from a full disk to wifi range to aws server issues. Let's just hope that after episode 1 launch we will get only small patches and not have to start from scratch every month.

General tips (captain obvious)
    Use a SSD
    Connect your nic directly to your switch or router instead of using wifi
    Don't use the equipment your ISP provides. Invest in some halfway decent network equipment.
    Set your qos settings to favor the client.
    Tinker with maximum upload speed.
    If all else fails find something else to do then come back later and try again.. Environments are dynamic over time in most cases

13. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Getting great speed today (4-6M/s) off the patcher, pretty sweet! No idea what changed.

14. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I've hated Steam, Valve and Gabe Newell since he started talking so much *&$^ about Nintendo. I am happy that none of their games are on that shite distribution system and always snicker when some jerks take them down with DDOS attacks. The big N deserves a boot to the head about so many other stupid things that they do but I haven't missed out on a single thing by boycotting that really annoying client.
    The only reason I have fouled my Surface with it is to get reliable access to SotA. I join the original poster in saying "Hey Portalarium get your &^#@ together." It really is embarrassing. Fashionable or not, I hate on Steam because they operate opposite to my values. If that deters me from spending money on this project, being belittled by someone who might call my old and decrepit ass a hipster oh well it just saves me a little bit of money while not supporting those that I think make gaming suck because they enable studios to put out crap games and the gamers waste time checking out their trials when they could be doing something, anything other than browsing that bargain bin cesspool.
    In closing
    Portalarium: get yourselves together.
    Gabe Newell: suck it.

Insinious FizzleThorpe and mass like this.
  15. maverick77

maverick77 Avatar

Yes, I am aware of the difference. My connection is gigabit... my speedtest.net download speed is approximately 950 mbps. I have Gigablast by Cox in Arizona.

16. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

So, if I have this right... you're on a crusade against Steam... because it said something about Nintendo you didn't like? Personally, I find multinational corps don't need that kind of grassroots level of defending.

Dean478 likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Nice.

18. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It's good that they don't need me as I am the laziest defender ever and my crusade is the ever so fearsome not buying their products and being disappointed when groups that I hope will be better like the creators of our project throw in with people who promote and get rich off of distributing 4th rate games.

19. neveser

neveser Avatar

Any negatives to using Steam instead of the patcher? I've got nothing against Steam, I just never thought of using it.

MrBlight likes this.
  20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Cant resell ure sota account if u steam link it? I guess

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.