Random encounters...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Almar, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almar

Almar Avatar

... I'm sick of them. At least share your plans on how you intend to make them useful. (Same for the sieges, if I'm honest.)

My main gripe is that even using coconuts the mobs ALWAYS gain on me and force me into an unnecessary instance, that's load in/load out. And it's buggy, including crashes like today. If there was some REASON to kill the mobs in there it might be nice.

It might also be nice if I wasn't attacked by everything in the instance as soon as I pull something . Of course that's the higher level ones, the lower level ones are just kack.

I remember Ultima 3/4 where random encounters happened on the world map, but that was 30 years ago! I expect more out of them now.

Please fix, share or lose, as it stands, they are crap. Sorry for the harsh words, that's how I feel.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Hi Almar,
    I cannot confirm that - even when encumbered I can outrun them.
    Of course I circle around the encounter, not running through them....

3. Womby

Womby Avatar

I agree. I can always detour around and/or outrun them (except for Cooper's Pass, where the encounter is unavoidable).

4. Almar

Almar Avatar

I didn't run through them, I ran over hilly ground just to the right of them, I had my movement penalised for that, the mobs didn't. That needs fixed.

Even at that, the encounters are still a pointless waste of load time.

Get rid of them, this isn't Ultima 3

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The encounters fill the overland map with life and danger. Would it be better to travel through a sterile and empty landscape?

6. Womby

Womby Avatar

"Just to the right of them" will get you caught every time. They don't have to get next to you - you will be caught if you are within a 'capture' radius around the mob. That radius is possibly bigger than you think. Take a wide berth.

7. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

hehe yeah OP, I can agree with the sentiment that it is an extra load/then load back, which on my machine can mean a crash because it's under the min req for SotA.

But on the other hand, while being mounted, I've only ran into 1 of them in like two months.

If I could change anything about the random encounter system it would be to make them run a little slower, and also add a variety to types of encounters, (which they plan to as soon as r40 I believe)

8. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I would rather see encounters as something people hunt on the overland map because it has a boss or nice ore deposits... or maybe a caravan to rob ;)

9. Almar

Almar Avatar

No, this happens too often - and the key point is 'What use are they?' The only 'life or danger' I experience is on my patience and load time.

Too often I have been far enough away for this not to be an issue..... but it was. I get dragged in.

I'm dealing with my experience of it here, each to their own.

...and there is still no credible point to them other that they happen in U3 and U4.

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Just remember, encounters are something that went in just to get in a few releases ago, they are still on an early dev iteration cycle and should have for sure at least one more pass through.

11. Almar

Almar Avatar

At least. Give them meaning or get rid of them.

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

agreed, they are just an annoyance to me. At least maybe keep the existing ones around lower level areas for newer players.

13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

While i agree they are annoying, they actually made it pretty clear already they are basically place holders.
    So * give them meaning * is coming. And to think they take priority over anythin else that is coming, is false.

Simply avoid them, or learn to avoid them.
    Sieges actually got some love and you can see each release that they are building off them. Rovers will get their turn.

ignignokt7 likes this.
  14. Zigmalion

Zigmalion Avatar

I agree. Either the encounter should be unavoidable or perhaps not happen at all. That said it is still very much a work in progress and all things considered it's a minor inconvenience if I am in a hurry to get from A to B and don't feel like being stopped for combat.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The biggest problem with encounters is that they're meaningless. If the mobs were right there on top of you when you entered the scene then that would at least provide some amount of danger. However, that brings up another issue: you can't defend yourself with the coconuts equipped! If there was a way to quickly swap the coconuts for your weapon then that wouldn't be an issue.

As it is, there's no danger. I wait for the scene to load then I run out and wait for the world map to load. :(

Budner and Almar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.