Quit Leeching Off Us - IDIOT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by By Tor, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

One of my first MPO experiences in SoTA was running in to help somebody (figured it was the right thing to do) only to get reprimanded on the spot AND quite rudely, I might add. I posted about it here and QUICKLY learned stepping in to help somebody is a big No-No, which IMO, sucks. But, as many have pointed out, this is a fault in game design - not a fault of the angry players. It is hard to RP a helping hand when you can't help without consequences to the person you are trying to help. You're a good man, By Tor, so don't let the negativity bring you down.

Conversely, if you re a player that get's helped, be polite - thank them for the thought, and explain the situation, (or better yet) invite the helper to party-up and make a new friend.

Editorial: People are WAY too touchy about loot/XP 'stealing'. If somebody follows you around doing it, then yeah, ask them to leave or join. But, if somebody (especially a new player) does it out of good intentions (or ignorance of the game design), be friggin polite. We want to build the community not intimidate people out of it.

BTW, By Tor, if you see me getting my a@@ handed to me, please DO step in. My XP loss upon death is far greater than the loss of XP from killing a mob. :p

2. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

Is there a reason why a mob is not 'tagged' on the first hit, as opposed to on the kill?

Many other MMO's do this, that way, if a mob is engaged in a fight, anyone not in party that joins in will not get anything from it (other than the satisfaction of helping). The mob would obviously be untagged as soon as agro was lost (through the player being dead or fleeing out of range).

By Tor and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

This is why I miss pre-Trammel UO. Your always had to be on your toes and there was never a reason to be surprised at someone's behavior. If someone was "helping", they might have just been waiting to watch you die so they could loot you dry. If someone ticked you off, you could just try to kill them. PK'ing, scamming, looting, kill-stealing, camping. Wild west. Best gaming environment ever.

Rule of thumb for SOTA: If someone invites you to their party, they want you to help. If they don't invite you, you should assume they don't want help. If you invite them and they decline, they don't want help. Simple.

Alexander, By Tor, chuck5086 and 5 others like this.
  4. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

You will find that this game like many others contains a cross section of players that will have good and bad folks. Now by in large most people you run into are good people and treat you well.
    One day I was searching a vendor and had someone randomly cuss me out for no reason other than my gear. I really felt the need to report them, but was unsure what kind of day they might have had that resulted in them treating me so badly. I know we all want to hope and believe that Shroud is filled nice folks. Remember this is never going to be totally true. Although most are very,very nice folks,you will run into someone somewhere that is the opposite of nice.
    If people are assuming you are there to take their loot from them,that is a sad commentary on how they view everyone else.

By Tor and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  5. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

"The tag follow the agro", I think, so yes, a monster can be tagged with the first shot. But sometimes, when someone become deadlier than you, you lose the tag.

That is why, when trying to help people, I often try to not draw their enemy's attention. I fire my arrows at low rate or take only the last shot. This way, I'm sure they get the XP.

One time, long ago, I was fighting a bandit or a caiman in Celestian swamps. I was only at three feets of a tree I was trying to cut. One guy came. Not only he did not helped me but he cut the tree in front of me and went away without any word. I lived this instant as a robbery. When I whispered him, complaining about that, he answered "Everybody do that. What's the problem ?" :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    By Tor, chuck5086 and Chrystoph Reis like this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Well said

Budner, By Tor and chuck5086 like this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I wish it were that easy. In the case I gave, Im in a 5 skull zone and the people are all mostly adv lvl 80+, many of them with a lot of GM's so its surly not the newbs doing such things.

I always help people if I can, thats checking their hit points and how many mobs are on them as well as if it looks like they are struggling. Since usually these are people who may be over their head in a 5 skull area, I'll actually try to pull the agro and kill them all.... but at the same time I will not touch the corpses (even if they are mine) to let them loot.

Also dont forget, I played UO early and left around 2000, we have a lot of UO people in game and a lot of them were/are red PK's and are perfectly happy still being anti-social like UO truly was the first year lol.

Thexedor Markhamm likes this.
  8. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

This sort of thing takes away a lot of enjoyment from the game :( I've bumped into a few of these types myself.

It's just a game folks, we all log in to have fun! Be friendly to others... lets make this community the best one on the market!

By Tor likes this.
  9. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I learned to just watch them die...

By Tor likes this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If you don't want to have other people around, this game allows you that option. No "Kill Stealing" in Single Player Online or Friends Online.

11. Graynight

Graynight Avatar

When I first started playing, I was in Multiplayer, not knowing that I could go into Friends Online and play. I did the happy Solace Bridge/Soltown episode, then stopped in East Perennial Trail to check it out.

Killed a couple of bandits, only got to loot one, because the other bodies had vanished. Being new, didn't think too much about it (Previous game, SWTOR, had 'mass loot'. Loot one, it looted everyone around). Kept going. Headed for a tree (once I figured out how to chop them) and got stopped by a skeleton. Watched a guy run up and take the tree while I was fighting the skelly, then calmly wait for me to kill the skelly before running over and looting it. The he ran off

This happened to me for a few minutes. If I was fighting more than one creature, the loot would be gone by the time I finished fighting the last. If there was a monster near a node point, someone would unstealth and take the node while I was fighting.

It was your classic, stereotypical, group of parasites who just took the loot and nodes while I did the hard work.

I moved to Friends Online, and haven't been back. Granted, I too was original UO, so I know the loot grabbing, node stealing, kill for all your gear mentality of playstyle.... but there is an option in this game where I don't have to deal with it, so I'll take the option. I play to enjoy, not to get annoyed by <add insult here> players.

By Tor and chuck5086 like this.
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

You all know what happens if 1000 more people come on release?
    If , but if not the game won't be a success or do you think the people here are able and willing to pay for it for years?
    We need a huge impact of new players not just for money to keep the game online and developed, but for enliving pots .
    Do you think lot owners will play along if they cannot have some citizens, because no new players come in?
    And how many may that be. 1000, 2000?
    And with just 1000 players there will be 50% ranting, not cooperating and such.
    And then it comes to real PvP and sandbox PvP with this system.

Glad to always have FM ;)

By Tor likes this.
  13. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Don't monsters reserve their loot for the killer's party? I don't think ninja'ing loot is that easy. Resource nodes, pre-killed mobs, absolutely. Unless timers changed since last I encountered such a scenario.

The 10% xp boost is not enough incentive for me to come out of FPO and into MPO. When trying to make sure my lot taxes are paid in advance I do not really want to go through the hassle of competing for or splitting loot. Grouping up is worth it for the XP, but I haven't been rushing my XP advancement.

Elwyn and By Tor like this.
  14. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Thank you all for the nice feedback. Sadly, think I'll be sticking to FPO to avoid running into players like I did. They may be in the minority, but all it takes is one to ruin my time. If there's social events going on, which I do love, I'll peek my head back out into Multi for the festivities.

Guess no matter where you are, whether in real life or in game, those few bad apples always find a way to spoil the bunch.

Alexander and Stundorn like this.
  15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Like I said earlier in the thread, it's not always about the XP. There are games where your XP isn't affected in the same way... and some people still hate being helped.

Again, someone might have found a challenge in the game and they want to see if they can solo it; not have someone swooping in, mid-combat, and swinging away alongside them.

Other times, a couple might be out and about, and see it as "their time" and, next thing they know, someone's in there, swinging away, and they've suddenly got a hanger-on they didn't want.

None of this ever necessarily relates to the XP thing, but simply how people like to play their game. And you can't fault them for that. People are entitled to play the game the way they want.

PS: None of which takes away from the concept that "helping people" is a nice thing, in general terms. But understanding that some people don't want it, and respecting that, is nice too!

Alley Oop likes this.
  16. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

Isn't that the entire purpose of selective multiplayer, if you don't like someone kill/loot stealing for whatever reason, then stay out of MPO? This is why selective multiplayer needs to be at scene entrance and not at login.

Stundorn and By Tor like this.
  17. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Honestly, none of that occurred to me but you're right. If I see a few avatars who looked overwhelmed by bad guys, I instinctively rush in to help. But - you have a point, they may not want it. And that's fine - that is their choice and I'll be more careful who I try and help from now on (or just say in FPO). It's how they handled it that bothered me. A "thanks for helping but we're going to try and manage on our own" would have been a lot better than "quit leeching off us - IDIOT!" There's a way to talk to people and that sure wasn't it.

Sir Frank likes this.
  18. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

Alright. Here's my latest crappy experience:

A player threatened me because I merely walked through a zone he was farming while flagged for the bonus. He told me to get lost, the zone was his, ect... I chatted with him to see what the problem was. He then let me know he was upset because players have been kill stealing from him. Ok. He really was a nice guy. Just very frustrated. We parted on good terms.

What I don't get is if a player is that sensitive, why don't they just go to SPO or Friends-only? Is the 10% bonus worth the risk of alienating other players in our small community? We all know that players can and will do whatever the game allows.

(I mostly play in Single-Player Online by the way. I don't like getting yelled at.)

Sir Frank, By Tor and Stundorn like this.
  19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Yes for pvp as well.
    Lets choose whenever we enter a scene if we want SPO, FM or
    MP with or without PvP flag.

20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Serious like in pvp discussions about serious gaming and players.
    And greed of cause.
    If achieving levels or numbers is so serious to someone, well he maybe lacks to be enough self confident or he 's just a greedy person and want to havemore might.

By Tor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.