Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Overwhelming darkness at midnight

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Mishikal, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I noticed it immediately as well, Seq Collosus gets really really dark. Im actually ambivalent about it. I really like it but it makes it hard to spot mobs. Im leaning towards keeping it, make is feel real.

My PoT designs that I just put up look absolutely awesome in the dark, I can use lighting now to accent buildings and such.

Bom and Net like this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

@2112Starman My experience with this is that it's one shade away from being pure black. It's no longer atmospheric and I might as well play with my eyes closed.

This way recorded back in May; the game's gotten DARKER outside since.

3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

How do you get your target to glow red like that?

4. Gix

Gix Avatar

You can't anymore; that glow was replaced by a crosshair. It's a shame, really because I find the crosshair to be hideous and less functional compared to the glow.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What I find hideous and unfunctional is the reticle over my head. I wish that I could get rid of it but my many pleas have just been ignored. I even made a plea right before it was implemented to not have the slider affect both the main reticle and the target reticle (it used to only work on the main reticle) but they did it anyway. The worst part is that they made that change only so that people could get screenshots without the reticles but the F9 key already got rid of both. :(

6. Merv DeGriff

Merv DeGriff Avatar

Night time with no moon seems nicely dark. I would expect that to be dark. No moon, no sun, just faint stars. I whip out a torch or cast light and summon my phoenix and all is well.

Not seeing anything too untoward here.

Bom and Lord Ravnos like this.
  7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Night time when the moon is out:
    [​IMG]

With light spell:

[​IMG]

Barugon, Gix, Net and 3 others like this.
  8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The night is dark and full of terror.

I still remembered back in 2015 when I first started playing the game more than once a month. I had @froji took me into Deep Ravenswood to hunt some elder wolves. I couldn't see jackshizzle because it was darn dark, so I ended up just following close by to him. Then we ran into a pvp mage who dueled froji and killed him with perma stun.

Good times...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Bom, Numa and discipleofweb like this.
  9. lafe1969

lafe1969 Avatar

Bluntly, if they are going to keep night time this dark, the light spell needs to suck less. Make it cover larger areas at higher levels.

Also, you can't tell me it isn't bugged. Midnight is so dark I can't see even with the light spell. Just after midnight, "Late Night", it is so bright it's basically daytime. And this is consistent over multiple day/night cycles.

Mishikal likes this.
  10. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

This feels like a constant battle, I felt the lighting was finally at a good level and then release 39 took it back away. Seriously it hurts my eyes its so dark - I have turned the brightness all the way up on my monitor; to the point I cant read the text on websites. the brightness slider needs to do more - when I move it from the lowest setting to the highest it doesnt seem to change much. please help!

Numa, Mishikal and lafe1969 like this.
  11. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

This is subjective to the user and his equipment. I can kinda see in my basement with no light source using my fancy 144Hz monitor, but if I move the game over to my old, crusty monitor it's pitch black. However with a light source it is easy to see on either monitor.

While adventuring at night with a light source, up close objects are detailed and distant objects are hard to make out. Seems about right to me. How well should we be able to see at night?

Bom likes this.
  12. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I’m just showing options why the ambient light at night could be different on novia and there are still more possibilities. E.g. the novian sun could have a light pulsation or in the novian geocentric model the sun is moving in ellipses insted of circles or maybe all native novians do not have any problems but we are no native novians…we are outlander from another world. Realistic does not ne mean “it has to be like it is on earth”. :D
    I’m just justifying that it is dark in the night and that there might be reasons why the night on another planet in another solar system might be different from a night on earth.
    Just for a part of the avatars it seems to be pitch-black but of course this has to be changed in one or another way. A solution could be to add an option “high graphic effects” with the current color scheme and a standard option with lager gaps between the color tones if e.g. the used monitors are the problem.

Sounds like the guess regarding monitors might be the right clue and that some monitors are not able to display e.g. the current black color gradation. Maybe it would be interesting if there is a similar but less obviously effect with brighter colors during the day.

If the example of Garfunkel Humperdinck represents the general problem than the monitor would be the reason for the problem…or more precisely it is the hardware. The monitor simply couldn't display the used black color tones and thus would display them as one and the same black color tone. Changing the brightness of your monitor would so to say just mixing white into this dark mishmash but would not change the display possibilities of the monitor.
    And the changeability of brightness and contrast of your monitor are just possibilities to adjust the monitor to your surroundings in rl (light in your room)...at least that is my understanding. :)

Bom and Garfunkel Humperdinck like this.
  13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Go back to the start of the thread, and realize this was *not* a problem BEFORE R39. Multiple monitors didn't just suddenly go whacky the *day* they released R39. Also, I play many, many games, and it's specifically *this* game that has this problem.

Gix and ShadeObscura like this.
  14. Garfunkel Humperdinck

My point was I also have more trouble seeing on some of my monitors than on others. We all have different eyes too. Subjective. I'm sorry you're one of the ones having trouble. I'm not currently. That's all.

Hopefully a pleasing solution for all affected players is found soon.

Bom likes this.
  15. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

It's not subjective at all. In R38, specific scenes at specific times were *not* as dark as they are currently in R39. How in the world can there be anything subjective about that?

Gix likes this.
  16. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Because we are having a different experience. Obviously there is something different between you and I. Equipment, eyes, something. The dev's may have tinkered with the graphics some. I haven't noticed though.

Just note I'm not saying you aren't having a problem, just that I'm not having a problem. In fact I don't even need to use extra light sources even at night.

Let's try a test. Here's what night look like to me:

[​IMG]

Maybe that still looks dark on your monitor. To me it looks like evening time and I can see the deer clearly. If we are having such a big difference, then there is a big problem.

Edit: This is a different scene than the one you have pictured above. I'll check that one out at midnight. I'm really curious now. :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That's certainly not what it looks like at night for me. At midnight, the only thing I would be able to see is the area immediately around me where my light spell would illuminate. The rocks, trees, weeds and deer would all be black.

[edit] I'll post a screenshot tonight.

[edit 2] Actually, @Mishikal's screenshot above is exactly how it looks for me.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Yeah, as I've noted, it's definitely specific to certain scenes, and only for a specific period of time at night. As someone else noted, once it is "Late Night" it's about as bright as daytime in most scenes. ;) Some scenes are ok at night. I'm not sure what causes the differences. But it definitely was a change that came in with R39. :)

Numa likes this.
  19. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Agreed, most outdoor scenes at midnight are nicely darkened :)

Bom likes this.
  20. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Yea, Late night should really be "dawn" and dawn should be "mid-day" at least in Serpent Spine Foothills...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.