Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Etceter mines, waste of time, not enough resources.

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Anvar, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teralitha Tokomi

Teralitha Tokomi Avatar

Lets not kid ourselves here. People who are mining are also people who have fought monsters and who are crafting. They are certainly not doing it simply for the love of mining as an activity. If that was the case they could mine all day nonstop in minecraft to their hearts content. So lets not try to use that fake arguement. Waiting 10 minutes is nothing when there is other things to do. If the devs followed your suggestion they would be totally pandering to the most casual players, and thats never a good thing.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea... endlessly respawning monsters non-stop is the same issue as endlessly respawning ore non-stop. Both are boring gameplay.

Here's a thought experiment for people who want to say its fun: would you continue to do it even if you got no loot/resources? You find endless ore, and you get to mine it all, but nothing ends up in your backpack. Is that fun? Or would you quit doing it after a while... ?

Anyway, we could disagree on whether or not this is fun, but how they design this affects *everyone*. Because people who don't find it fun are going to be forced to do the same level grinding if they ever want to do mining. If you're allowed to grind endless ore, that means the price of ore goes down, and I have to grind as much as you do in order to make money... then the whole game is going to be balanced and designed around heavy grinding... from harvesting to combat. So its a fair issue to discuss and debate whether this is fun gameplay or not... and its not enough to say "some people find it fun."

The grinding issues we're discussing aside... personally, I'd also like to see some sort of mini-games in crafting and harvesting...

Though, I also do happen to agree with the OP that Etceter is a bit ridiculous; although I'm at a skill level where I can generally manage it and get out with what I want. Sometimes, I'll kill a ghost, and as soon as I kill one, another respawns in the same mining chamber. Other times, I get so entangled up in killing off the respawning enemies, that the game won't let me get back to gathering ores.

And on top of that, I just find the whole thing incredibly silly from a RP perspective... which I've mentioned before.... having ghosts fighting bandits fighting skeletons. You'd think the bandits could find a better hideout. Then the bandit leader has been replaced by a wizard. Why? At least the way Etceter used to be set up, it made a lot more sense from a storytelling perspective.

(I also agree with the sentiment that not every node has to be guarded with some risk as if its precious. And after we level up enough, we're going to be able to kill those mobs easily enough that its not much of a risk, anyway)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Rada Torment, Numa and Spoon like this.
  3. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I'm fine with Etceter as it is now. Sure, the first level is a dangerous place but this mine is the best way to get gold ore if you manage to survive. Great risk, great reward. Do you want less challenge for gold ore ? Go explore the world. I know, at least, one other mine with less gold and less challenge.

Anyway, I think Portalarium will update all mines before the release. I think they plan to make them multiplayer instance as well, which would require big changes.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its not really a risk though; it just slows you down, provided you're a high enough level. Its only a risk if you're a lower level than the mobs. A least a risk in the sense that it bars you from doing it because you die too much.

Numa likes this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm okay with this "problem" so long as it makes sense in the structure of the area. If you're 2-3 levels deep in the mines, I'd kind of expect the enemies to be tougher and it'd be more interesting to see mining areas that require teams to efficiently gather ore in the harder areas. Gotta yield more or better resources as a compensation, however.

MrBlight likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Btw, this also applies to requirements in crafting. If spawning is slower, and that means less ore is collected, then the devs will decide recipes don't need to require so much ore. Both the price and the crafting reqs. are totally tied to the spawn rate.

So when people go at this from the perspective of "I need to mine so much, because I want to craft such and such, or I want to earn this much gold," its looking at the whole problem backwards. The game balance will *adjust* to whatever the spawn rate is. The issue is really not whether its fun to reach a certain amount of ore -- since that will be rebalanced -- its about whether its fun to center the gameplay around heavy grinding.

If its not centered around heavy grinding, but you collect less ore for the same results (for the gold or for crafting), then the idea is not that you wait around for respawns, its that you end grinding sooner, and move on to do something else.

7. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I'm among the group that thinks there is no problem with the mines as they are.

I hadn't been in here for a couple of months (since resistances to mobs were added) and I had to adjust my deck because of the ghosts, but once that was done I can kill the trash in here just as fast as in any other mine, and there are plenty of nodes. As a nice bonus the ghosts are 2500 XP each :)

8. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

No its not fake outrage and its pretty simple concept to grasp. If I or anyone else can mine the same resources elsewhere much faster and easier
    then what is the point in Etc. All it means is that zone will be underused . As is mining to sell isnt worth the time anymore can make far more just farming easy mobs
    than you can mining now and the way its scaled atm the harder the mine you go to the less value there is in it.

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

No. All it means is that not all zones (if any at all) are properly balanced.

It certainly doesn't mean that you should be able to mine constantly, non-stop, while two other groups are doing the exact same thing.

That's definitely something they need to fix.

Onyx likes this.
  10. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Precisely which is what Ive been saying all along , it was about right with the original spawn of gold, and you misunderstand me when I said enough for people to mine non stop, I meant including
    the non mining time when theyre killing the mobs, as is can kill all the ghosts and mine it all out and your pretty much twidling your thumbs waiting on respawns with just 2 people on a level.

11. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

The 1st level of Ecteter (the rooms to the left) will give you all the gold you need. Pretty much non stop. I rarely have to wait for gold to respawn as I run from room to room. Killing a ghost or a skeleton is faster then killing an elemental, so I see no reason to venture futher down the dungeon.

Now if you cant kill the ghosts...then you have a problem. The mine is not for you. 1st level of Elysium is for you.

What...you think kobolds are a bit tough? Well..you can kill 1st level skellies/bandits/wolves in the adventure scenes. And mine a bit of gold.

Is mining boring? Hell yeah...most of the game is boring....the only thing that makes it interesting is the people. If nobody is on to chat with, then I watch a movie or two whilst mining. Its not like the ghosts are going to hurt me.

Elysium over all will give me more ore....but a lot less gold. When I need silver...I will hit up Elysium. My Earth elemental used to do a fine job of letting me freely mine for hours while binge watching series on Netflix. But it doesn't matter...I can kill the elementals....it just cuts back a bit on the time, but gives me gold/exp as well. I can still watch TV.

There already exists a McOre Store. Its called the Player Marketplace forum. Feel free to get your ore that way, if you cant or wont mine.

discipleofweb and Numa like this.
  12. Morgoth redbeard

Morgoth redbeard Avatar

i dont know if you bean mining much latly but moust of us that did do see a rappied drop in ore spawn

13. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Anyone have any advice on getting iron ore? i tried that one mine near ardoris and died post fast, and i'm not exactly a lowbie player. any help much appreciated

14. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Serpent's Spine Mine is the place to go for iron.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    discipleofweb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.