Why did I love UO, and am 'meh' about SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oyjord Hansen, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I would almost wish they wait another year. When they release the game it should be good enough to sell its self.

Vallo Frostbane likes this.
  2. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

as I try to stay passive enough to enter into direct observation, sota will likely not fill the void of Uo. I fear, Uo is like that " first Time " event that only happens on rare occasions and rarely duplicated. .

Numa, Ice Queen, shanna and 3 others like this.
  3. Black Death

Black Death Avatar

sad when uo died ... the 300 vs 400 men faction fights.... deffending the sl base all night long... the day aos hit uo died....

M&D Baja Black Death

4. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

Uo was like those mosaic's, when you cross your eyes just right; you could see the real 3d image. Uo 2d top down just needed to scale up the avatars by 25-30% and likewise environment. *Here many things need to be scaled down by 25-30%

shanna and Brass Knuckles like this.
  5. Addison

Addison Avatar

Dont ever mention SWG and the horrendous catastrophe that was the "New Game Experience". This totally killed SWG for me! The current classless system in Shroud is all I have left. I hope that doesnt change as well! :D

6. Shanna

Shanna Avatar

agreed *sigh*

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Boats will be in not yet, the game is still in the works. Lets give it a chance.

gsoul likes this.
  8. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I still pay to play UO sometimes... so it actually does fly today. The server im on is fairly populated and PvP is going on daily. I mean considering how old UO to have a subscription base of players still today is pretty incredible and lends to the fact its still relevant today. Now is the game over abundantly populated, no. But theres enough peeps to have fun. If UO had a graphics update with the exact same mechanics in place as now just a modern look/UI it would hands down be at the top of the MMO market again. And thats what i was hoping SOTA would be.

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

There was a graphics update once but the fans complained so the devs had to remove it and revert back to the old style if I recall correctly...

10. Haz

Haz Avatar

I read most of this thread, kinda made me want to cry/sigh at points. I guess I expected way too much way too quickly from SotA. I'm not a big backer here, but all my money was hard earned, and I could have spent it elsewhere, but spent it here. I won't spend money on a kickstarter again though. It's not that Sota is a complete disappointment because it's not. I guess that it's just not really meeting my expectations, and yes, I probably had my rose colored glasses on when the old friend that introduced me to UO, called me to tell me that LB was making a UO successor. He has since gotten rid of his 3 pledge accounts. My grandsons tried but do not play on accounts I purchased for them as gifts. I am disappointed.

This was my first (and now my last) kickstarter.

Things I am not in agreement with....(no real explanations required as explanations are everywhere in this and other threads)
    Only 1 toon (and no, I'm not paying to have an extra slot or another acct)
    Not having hard caps
    Not having a limit on GMs
    The deck system (at first I thought wow, this is kinda cool, it's nice to have something different, but as time has progressed my thinking has altered and yes, I know I can lock a deck in place...of course with penalties)
    The transportation system (no gates, no runes, don't want people recalling directly to that treasure chest, then don't allow me to mark a rune there)
    The ability to own a home (with the taxes I would have to pay, it just doesn't seem worth it to me and I like housing)
    Seems that some things have been made difficult/drawn out just so we could say, we did it differently
    XP pool
    Too much of Sota seems like a job to me.

Things I'm hoping for in the future....
    Treasure Hunting
    A Battle Bard (one of my favorites)
    A boat to sail the 7 seas
    A centralized market place of some sort, running from vendor to vendor is timely and un-fun.
    I could go on and on but I would like to be at least kinda realistic.....

I'm an old retired fart, and could play for hours and hours almost everyday, yet I find SotA calling to me less and less as time passes. I'm not yet ready to give up, but that horizon seems to be approaching....and I do NOT want it to get any closer!

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Very nice feedback and please anytime contact me in game for a free place to live to build up some gold. Thanks for hanging in there. The Devs are aware of the problems people have with the game in it's state atm but never fear they are on it as fast as they can. ;) I am Majoria in game and this is for anyone in game wanting a place to live, even if temporary, you can place chests, plant gardens etc in our residents lot or in a few other lots. You will find me in Wizards Rest and out adventuring, send me a whisper anytime for help or to say hello. :) We will make it through development and see the light at the end of the tunnel to release. I am hoping for more of a December release to get enough content and systems completed for release. We already have the basics now just to embellish and consider what will truly make this a game for us. So we are here still to give that feedback and ideas which will make it an even better game. :)

12. Last_Crusader

Last_Crusader Avatar

To me this is what has turned me off of this game (at least for now). How many years in development now and it just seems like the continued focus every few months is their next "telethon" which just sells cosmetic items.

It's hard for me to get beyond that and I haven't played in months and just awaiting it to be "finished" to try it out with a fresh take.

13. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

The problem is that developers want to be paid - and over the time the money runs out.

Ice Queen likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If that's an issue then they'll probably do something to work it out. I'm not too concerned about that either.

15. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Hope always dies last ;)

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's not about hope. SotA will either be a success or it won't. If it falls, c'est la vie. Cycling on it in the forums accomplishes nothing.

17. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

If SotA is a failure after release, Lord British will be out of business for ever. Therefore I hope this will never be happen! But I - maybe I'm the only one here - have not much hope :(

18. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Agreed. They really need to listen to us. Plus.. there will be 5 Episodes so..if it's a failure after the first one.
    We're kinda.. F word.

Korim Rackham and Sir Cabirus like this.
  19. Nomad2

Nomad2 Avatar

I know it was a bug - but I miss rares hunting. Getting the empty baskets, candles, broken chairs. There was a finite amount of items so rares truly were special. Also, the stealing skill was so much fun!

That coil of wire too heavy? Guard whacked! So much fun.

I do love this game though - I find it a lot of fun - I'm a single player in a multi-player world

Zader and Ice Queen like this.
  20. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

What are your suggestions as alternative source of funds to keep developing the game long term? Can I assume you would rather pay a $10-$15 monthly fee instead?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.