Attunement vs Melee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BodyCount, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BodyCount

BodyCount Avatar

@Attenwood#5233 @Berek#6871 @BurningToad#5296 @FireLotus#7777 @LORD British#8504

I have played a mage from the get go but have recently dumped 917 total points into bludgeon (118 main skill) I am also adventure level 93 and when i fight a green lower level mob I continually miss, stats are 175 str, 95 dex, 61 int.

On the contrary someone who has 200 attunement (870ish points) into a mage skill and close to the same Int to Dex ratio I have on my bludgeon build. They are able to hit a level ~95 mob being level 72 consistently and crit consistently, where I wouldn't even stand a chance to hit the mob as many times as the mage in this example crits.

So from experience 200 attunement and level 72 fighting a level 95 mob is better than being level 93 and having 118 in the main combat skill and 917 total points into the specific combat tree. (is this working as intended or needs adjusted?)

2. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Melee needs love

3. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Not sure where you get the 200 attunement number from. I have 1100 pts in Air and with all air gems and both +14 attunements enchants per wand, i'm at 166 attunement. 186 with air armor, but I never use it because it drains focus way too fast.

Also keep in mind melee can run a full deck of its damage skills (more dmg skills in the tree and low cooldown) and the skills are free (no regs), whereas mages have to spread over multiple trees as of release 39. I need to use 25+ glyphs or else I run out of glyphs and just twiddle my thumbs. Basically, 15 out of 25 spells don't benefit from my attunement gear/enchants at all.

Not saying melee doesn't need love, but just things to consider.

4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

After 14 months of primarily being blunt and earth I gave up, the Devs hate melee (Im joking about this to ras them, I know Blunt is due for another pass soon). I unlearned every single blunt skill and flipped the 9 mil exp to Earth so now I have had to do what I have railed on for 6+ months, become a mage. I now pop mobs for 400 crits with earth vs 150 crits with blunt (at 107 mind you).

But on the flip side, I also recognize that Earth was boosted recently, probably so the devs could get people to flip over to it for a while to shake it out. Eventually it will get nurfed back to balance.

uhop, Ravicus Domdred and Vox Aquila like this.
  5. sam101688

sam101688 Avatar

Melee Needs some reworking or attention in my opinion. I started the game with blades and learned quickly that it was trash in comparison to mage skills. I stopped gaining in it and focused else where, but would love to return to it when it has similar damage output as the other skills do, which includes non-mage skills like archery.

6. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I still like blades and ranged since I want to be able to fight mobs that are magic resistant like liches, ghosts, etc.

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I think magery is the way to go if you want top end damage and death being the premium if you want to solo alot of the big stuff, archery and swords are after magery imop followed lastly by bludgeon and polearms.

The game needs ballance, as a archer im outta mana really fast usually only a few mobs where as magery and bludeon I barley drain.

8. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Mellee has always been messed up and any time we address it they ignore us.

9. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think there is still a lot of balancing that needs to be done, but you can't really make these kind of comparisons without looking at the entire picture.

It doesn't take very much adventure xp to gain a reasonable amount of melee skill. Other than when fighting one of a handful of mobs that are resistant to melee damage, melee tends to be a reliable source of damage, unlike any particular school of magic, which will be heavily resisted by a very significant % of mobs. There is no frequently recurring cost of melee, such as buying arrows or reagents. Melee can be used without penalty no matter how heavy your armor is.

Considering all of that, while melee should maybe be stronger than it is now, it should also generally do much less damage than magic.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  10. BodyCount

BodyCount Avatar

@Zapatos80 the skill I am referring to I have 208.3 Attunement. I can kill anything that isn't resistant to this tree if you have pvp'd you will know what tree I speak of.

I heard someone say (who has access to level of devs us "norms" don't have) they said something about how the hit chance is calculated on a math level like Attunement + Level / "insert Factor" = hit chance ... and then said melee was Bludgeon (or weapon comparable top box skill) + Level / "insert factor" = hit chance

If certain people have access to this knowledge I think we all should have access. Regardless of dmg output (this can be tweaked as the game progresses) but spending 20 million exp into my bludgeon tree and missing mobs 20 levels below me seems silly.

@2112Starman With that earth build you speak of 2 or maybe 3 patches ago you used to be able to crit for 600+ with that obsidian arrow (since has been nerfed with negative returns in regards to str after a certain number) but is definitely a good build still =)

11. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

You know what is funny as F. If a Dev does respond it will be like this.

-Some monsters are completly resistant to magic and only blades can -

BLah blah blah blah, Risk vs reward. Mages farm many times more IGG/artifacts than any blades. So dont you go there!

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I hit a mob for 875 hp 3 days ago with a 5 stack of ob arrow.

13. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

For the record those HIT/MISS numbers are around. I'm looking for the posts, but this is a convoluted forum.
    @Chris has never put info like that behind the DEV plus wall unless it was something he was testing in QA.

14. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

15. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

About to get 130 blades and while that is nice and impressive, im still a scrub compared to a 5 gm death mage.

Fire mages are reported by devs to make the most exp per hour. And so on

16. BodyCount

BodyCount Avatar

So before this gets off topic too far...

@Chris What is the math behind being able to simply hit a mob with skill and stats and what is the same math behind attunement that determines if you will simply hit. seems 200 attunement and lvl 70 is better than 120 bludgeon and lvl 95... I'm just curious i have plenty of mage skills with 875 skill points in them i just know some people like playing a warrior and some mobs are more effectively killed with physical dmg so curious if i should continue to dump 10 more million into something that could or might be broken, at this current state.

Thanks
    BC

17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Heres the picture of my 875 hit with Earth on an elf in The Rise (as well as a 348 hp stone fist), you can see why I dumped melee finally:

[​IMG]

18. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Melee just doesn't fare as well at high levels. I have all the trees gmd (top skill only except blades which is what I actually use. )

It's sad and been that way for awhile. Both player and npc mages and archers can put out more damage than I can handle even with decent fireproof, fire alignment and high end armor.

I don't really want to be a mage, but the game is pushing me that way with no sign of changing ~al83.

19. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

It gets more and more frustrating!
    The miss chance if i stack skills like Thrust to 5 are over the top.
    The auto attack is totally broken and useless, my low level Mage with his Staff does nearly the same dmg as my 2-Handed fighter in melee.
    The resistance mechanic doesnt even work well. Last time in Ulfheim i opend the door of the new cabin and get instant 2 crits with 250 dmg from the
    Mages and another 2 crits killed me befor i even get into fight #80%CritChance.
    The Mob/Boss reset all the time or running away what is amazing anoying as melee.
    Hate does not work unless you are a healer.
    Pole, Bludgeon and Shield are unbalanced as hell.
    The list goes on and on, and it feels like they dont care. But hey, check out the new items in Store, we have Wings!

uhop and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

The wings have nothing to do with it, those are created by artists and thats what pays the bills for the engineers to continue doing their dev iterations over these items. Starr or Chris have said that Pole, bludge and shields are due soon for a heavy balancing iteration so hold on for a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.