AMD Radeon Crossfire possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Magnus Zarwaddim, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I've spent quite a bit of time searching for an answer and fiddling with settings, both in-game and with the AMD Crimson Radeon Setting.

Now, aside from the general "AMD Radeon" doesn't work well with SotA statements I've seen from years past, I'm trying to figure out if the game is Crossfire compatible.

I launch through Steam. I have two (2) ASUS R9 Fury cards (4GB HBM - higher throughput that DDR memory). Using Windows 10 on a ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Socket AM3+ 990FX ATX AMD motherboard with a AMD FX 9590 processor. I run SotA off of a 256GB SSD.

Crossfire MUST be used in Fullscreen mode. However, I don't know whether or not SotA is a borderless windowed fullscreen mode - what leads me to believe this is when you ALT-TAB in most games that are fullscreen you get a screen jitter as it adjusts out of the game and to your desktop. With SotA (as with other borderless windowed games) it's a quick seamless switch when you ALT-TAB.

My question would be whether or not there is an option to run in true Fullscreen mode (maybe some command line argument in Steam's game properties)?

Another question would be whether or not anyone is running the game in Crossfire mode? And if so, what are your settings using AMD Crimson?

Thanks in advance.

2. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Does anyone have any insight? I'd really like to get this working with CrossFire if possible, simply because I am shallow like that! :)

3. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Bueller? Bueller?

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It isn't just sota to clarify, it is unity games which are everywhere. I hope you can get your answers. Best wishes. I hope unity figures it out.

Magnus Zarwaddim likes this.
  5. Xeethrax

Xeethrax Avatar

The engine does support exclusive mode but you have to choose it:

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, you can potentially force exclusive mode by creating a shortcut to Shroud of the Avatar.exe (not the launcher) and add startup param:

"X:\Path\To\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar.exe" -window-mode exclusive

If you use steam you can add startup param by rightclicking > properties > Add startup parameters (or similar, my Steam is in Norwegian ;) )

However. I have been trying to get the most of my two 970Ti's in SLI. I've tried most SLI profiles (using nvidia inspector) and I have yet to find one that properly utilizes SLI (both my GPU's hardly peak > 50%). So don't get your hopes up with crossfire. Unity doesn't have great support for multi-GPU setups out of the box.

smack and Magnus Zarwaddim like this.
  6. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Thank you both for your replies. Sometimes even finding out something WON'T work is useful. I will try @Xeethrax's suggestion and report back.

7. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Reporting back for posterity:

@Xeethrax's solution to force Steam to Fullscreen mode worked, and it then triggered Crossfire. However, everything (just about) in the POT where I logged in started to "flash" like a strobe light was on (best way I could describe it). I've seen this similar behavior in another game (Conan Exiles). I am, therefore, going to turn off Crossfire for SoTA and just patiently await a "fix". :) EDIT: There are a lot of settings related to Crossfire, so if I figure something out that works I'll report back, otherwise, I'll leave it off and wait.

addrox and Xeethrax like this.
  8. addrox

addrox Avatar

Bump ... Thinking about getting a second rx 580 8GB ... I play 3 main games SOTA, War Thunder, and ESO ...

Any ideas if getting a second card plugging it in and just launching in full screen mode increase fps and smoothness on 4k?

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol well I never advise AMD but hopefully someone not biased can advise. I will steer from AMD probably forever tho since I am a Nvidia fan. :) Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.