Crafter concerned about artifact power creep

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zapatos80, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

As a crafter, the power creep of artifacts (especially epic artifacts) is a growing concern. I have faith in the dev team, and I remember them saying player crafted items would be the best items, but then I saw the Warlock chain...

I think something as powerful as the warlock chain should have a BIG downside, maybe halves your HP or doubles damage taken. Big offense/magic boost but huge defense hit. Something like that. +200% reg cost is nothing.

I'm not a game dev, but it seems like a good rule of thumb for artifacts should be if it's the best thing you can equip at all times, it's not designed right. For example, the above chain would be great for backrow damage dealers/healers but really bad for PvP or melee-mage'ing.

Thoughts?

Hazard, Hornpipe, Umuri and 7 others like this.
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

The downside of that chain is that it is very very expensive to make right now and takes a lot of drop luck or money.
    You could craft a whole set of the best armor for that amount of cash. Don't forget that.

Numa and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  3. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

True, but that's only a valid point up to a certain amount of time. It's only a matter of time before many of those are in circulation. As I said, it's more of a concern for upcoming stuff than the current situation though. Almost everytime I consider an artifact atm I have to really pause and weigh the pros and cons : how it should be IMO. However, I would equip the chain and never take it off except for super basic farming if I had one.

4. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

I think that artifacts of multiple degrees of power are good. If 95% of the gear is player made and most player will have this gear because it is the most practical to obtain.

But if you want to go on some Indian Jones quest to find/have an artifact that gives you a nice bump in power I think we should have that. Where the top power items like you're talking about are going to be pricey/hard to obtain. Often times more than a lot deed for the ones you are talking about.

So I think a % of items (artifacts, belts, instruments) are a good start. Player made items are still more sought for by the vast majority of players because it's what's practical. But if you want to go on that search for a power artifact there should be that too (ofc with sensible balancing, but still giving a nice bump in a specialized area with side effects)

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  5. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

+200% reg cost is a pretty big deal money wise. Crafted jewelry is pretty weak, but making artifacts even weaker isn't going to solve your problem. Also, the Warlock's Chain is crafted so isn't your point kind of moot? It requires grandmaster blacksmithy, or near GM and some buffs.

6. sam101688

sam101688 Avatar

That necklace takes a lot of artifacts to make so it is rare and unique and the -200 reg use is an adequate negative side effect.... i know crafters who certainly have outcrafted the artifacts and this necklace is no exception. Exceptional skill and ALOT of mats later can blow many of those artifacts out of the water. The real thing to consider is that people should be spending way more for good gear and the artifacts are just a bonus to that crafted stuff. I have artifacts that I may use for certain activities but I would say that my crafted gear by an exceptional crafter far exceeds the artifacts I've encountered. The warlock chain is the best piece of jewlery that I have seen, I don't think armor and weapons are threatened because of this specific artifact.

7. Sway

Sway Avatar

i use 2 at the moment but if i had the resources i would have none because i can have something crafted better then them ,,,, but it will take a lot of tries to make that happen. i went with the sure win for now but rest assure they will be replaced... just a matter of time.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  8. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Even a GM+ enchant specialized crafter (with a miracle 5-enchant luck for way more $ than the artifact is worth) can only get the 3 "major stats" and 2 minors, so roughly +4,5 +4,5 +3 of all 3 stats... and then +5 attunement with a gem. That would probably cost even more than the warlock chain and not even be 1/10th its power. But if you have an image of a better player-crafted necklace maybe i'm missing something.

Hornpipe likes this.
  9. sam101688

sam101688 Avatar

I do not have a better crafted "necklace" however I have way better wands than the ankhs I could carry. Lumping this necklace into all artifacts is not a fair assessment, but has anyone considered that these are supposed to be artifacts, rare, unique, items that are special. I think the smaller player base versus the number of artifacts is muddy but when you take into account with all fingers crossed getting a larger player base on launch, these artifacts will be even more rare and crafted gear will be sold much faster than these rares.

Bow Vale likes this.
  10. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I agree that I hope they don't get too carried away with artifacts, but I think that as it stands now, there is a pretty reasonable balance. I have sold over 700k of crafted jewelry so far this release, and the majority of that was to players that could probably get any artifact that they want. That's not to say that crafted jewelry is better than the best artifact jewelry, but people make different gear sets for different situations, and crafted gear is still obviously much more flexible for doing that.

Hornpipe likes this.
  11. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

You do realized you have to craft the Warlock necklace out of items so....

12. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

The warlock necklace is great for melee. It give 15% magic resistances with attunement and flat resist. It gives 5 adventure level which gives you more HP and FP and makes you crit and hit more and take less hits. It gives you +15 int which gives you focus. at the cost of +200% reagent use for anyone which means no real cost and tons of benefits for melee. It also takes a ton of time getting the pieces and crafting it...

13. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.